[comp.sys.mac.apps] Geneology software

psancken@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Paulette Sancken) (05/03/91)

I'm looking for an easy to use geneology software package for the
Macintosh. Recommendations and sources of acquisition would be welcomed.
Freeware and shareware a definite plus! Thanks.

walt@kailua (Walter Holladay) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May2.195555.27227@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> psancken@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Paulette Sancken) writes:
>I'm looking for an easy to use geneology software package for the
>Macintosh. Recommendations and sources of acquisition would be welcomed.
>Freeware and shareware a definite plus! Thanks.

Personal Ancestral File program (PAF) which is put out by
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon) is excellent.
It's not Freeware, but I think it only costs around $35.00.

It's easy to use and seems to be well thought out.  They also have a version
for IBM compatible PC's.  Information can be shared between the two versions
using some conversion programs that come with it.

I recently heard some concerns that it might not work too well with system 7.0,
but I don't know much about that.

One big plus is that you can access the LDS church's records using another
program that reads records stored on optical disks.  There are systems
set up all over the country (world?) where you can go and use these facilities.
All you need to do is make an apointment, the facilities may be used free.
You can execute a search the person you are looking for and if he/she is found
you just the info to a floppy and take it home.

Anyway, you can get more info on the program by calling:
1 800 537-5950.

Hope this helps,

Walter