[comp.sys.mac.apps] Strange WORD4 ruler problem

Annice Grinberg <IU3005@BARILVM.BITNET> (04/24/91)

We have encountereed a strange problem with two of the Macs at the Weizmann
Institute when running WORD4.  One is a Classic and the other an SE30, both
System 6.07.  When the ruler is displayed it shows only six inches, instead
of the almost seven that shows on other machines.  These "inches", when
measured, indeed are greater than real inches.  One of these machines also
has a Hebrew language system on it, and the ruler is fine when I open Word
in that system, but when I boot from a floppy with a vanilla system there
is the same problem.

I tried opening WORD from a floppy, and the same thing happens.  (The floppy
works fine on other Macs.)  Even stranger, if I import a WORD file from
another Mac the ruler for that file remains correct.  I tried replacing and
deleting the Word Setting file, but that didn't change things.

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.

Annice

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (04/26/91)

In article <91114.135900IU3005@BARILVM.BITNET> IU3005@BARILVM.BITNET (Annice Grinberg) writes:

>   We have encountereed a strange problem with two of the Macs at the Weizmann
>   Institute when running WORD4.  One is a Classic and the other an SE30, both
>   System 6.07.  When the ruler is displayed it shows only six inches, instead
>   of the almost seven that shows on other machines.  These "inches", when
>   measured, indeed are greater than real inches.  One of these machines also
>   has a Hebrew language system on it, and the ruler is fine when I open Word
>   in that system, but when I boot from a floppy with a vanilla system there
>   is the same problem.

	I heard that the width of the ruler in Word is determined by the
	printer driver that you are using.  If the printer driver on the
	"other machines" is different that you ones you are having problems
	with, try changing the driver.

	=Mike
--
==  Michael K. Yee <yee@osf.org>      -+-      OSF/Motif Team
==  Open Software Foundation - 11 Cambridge Center - Cambridge, MA  02142

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (04/26/91)

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:

>In article <91114.135900IU3005@BARILVM.BITNET> IU3005@BARILVM.BITNET (Annice Grinberg) writes:
>>
>>   We have encountereed a strange problem with two of the Macs at the Weizmann
>>   Institute when running WORD4.  One is a Classic and the other an SE30, both
>>   System 6.07.  When the ruler is displayed it shows only six inches, instead
>>   of the almost seven that shows on other machines.  These "inches", when
>>   measured, indeed are greater than real inches.  One of these machines also
>>   has a Hebrew language system on it, and the ruler is fine when I open Word
>>   in that system, but when I boot from a floppy with a vanilla system there
>>   is the same problem.
>>

>	I heard that the width of the ruler in Word is determined by the
>	printer driver that you are using.  If the printer driver on the
>	"other machines" is different that you ones you are having problems
>	with, try changing the driver.

Sometimes a document will get confused about which printer
driver it is configured for and you have to "wake it up." The
way to do it is to first make sure you have two different type
of printers that show up when you choose "Chooser" (that is, you
have copies of, say, both the ImageWriter driver and the
LaserWriter driver in your system folder). With the document
open in Word, select Chooser from the Apple menu and choose the
printer driver you _don't_ want. You'll get a message saying
that you should use Page Setup for the document. Close the
Chooser and choose Page Setup and just okay the dialog box
button. Then go back to Chooser again, this time choosing the
correct printer, close the Chooser and go through the okay
procedure in Page Setup again. Then the ruler should have
changed to look like the ruler in your other documents.

It may not be necessary to go through this overkill procedure,
the document may format correctly by simply choosing page setup
but sometimes you have to go through the whole thing of changing
to a different driver just to make the document recognize the
change.
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (04/26/91)

In article <YEE.91Apr25144612@pmax14.osf.org> yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:
>In article <91114.135900IU3005@BARILVM.BITNET> IU3005@BARILVM.BITNET (Annice Grinberg) writes:

] We have encountereed a strange problem with two of the Macs at the Weizmann
] Institute when running WORD4.  One is a Classic and the other an SE30, both
] System 6.07.  When the ruler is displayed it shows only six inches, instead
] of the almost seven that shows on other machines.  These "inches", when
] measured, indeed are greater than real inches.  One of these machines also
] has a Hebrew language system on it, and the ruler is fine when I open Word
] in that system, but when I boot from a floppy with a vanilla system there
] is the same problem.

I've had a similar problem with Word.  While it's true, as Michael Yee
suggested, that the size of the inches varies with the printer driver, and you
should check to make sure the proper printer is selected, I've also had Word
somehow convince itself that the paper is a totally different size.  The
solution seems to be to go to the Chooser, pick a different printer, then do
Page Setup, then go back to the Chooser and pick the proper printer again.

--Mike

brecher@husc9.harvard.edu (Jonathan Brecher) (04/26/91)

In article <91114.135900IU3005@BARILVM.BITNET> IU3005@BARILVM.BITNET (Annice Grinberg) writes:
   We have encountereed a strange problem with two of the Macs at the Weizmann
   Institute when running WORD4.  One is a Classic and the other an SE30, both
   System 6.07.  When the ruler is displayed it shows only six inches, instead
   of the almost seven that shows on other machines.  These "inches", when
   measured, indeed are greater than real inches.
... stuff deleted...
   I tried opening WORD from a floppy, and the same thing happens.  (The floppy
   works fine on other Macs.)  Even stranger, if I import a WORD file from
   another Mac the ruler for that file remains correct.  I tried replacing and
   deleting the Word Setting file, but that didn't change things.

It took me a LONG time to figure this one out on my own machine.
I was using the Imagewriter driver, which includes a check box in the
Page Setup... dialog for Tall Adjusted. If you check this box and also
check the Set Defaults box, and then quit Word (don't know if that last step
is necessary), all documents will have 'real-sized' inches, showing almost 7"
on the screen.

Tall Adjusted helps the Imagewriter emulate the spacing for the Laserwriter.

			   jonathan brecher
			   brecher@husc9.harvard.edu

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D.) (05/07/91)

My first suggestion when the screen measures are different than 'real'
measures is to check whether you are set up for a laserwriter or an
imagewriter.  The on-screen ruler bar is different...
	-=Alan
   Who, me?  Nope, I didn't say that.  Must have been my evil twin
	   Who am I? aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu <Alan D.>
   Where am I? Brandeis University Box 3130 Waltham, MA 02254-9110
		   When am I? 9-5, M-F, Rain-Shine
		Why am I? Whaddyawant, a philosopher?