[comp.sys.mac.apps] How do you do these things in Word 4?

tj@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Todd R Johnson) (04/30/91)

	I'm trying to format my dissertation in Word and I'm having trouble
doing the following tasks:

1. Deleting a header or footer. I delete the contents, but the blank
footer stays around taking up space.

2. Positioning tables with captions.  I want to position a table with
a caption at the top of the page and have text from the previous page
continue below it.  I don't want to have to manually split a paragraph
from the previous page---that doesn't work well when it comes time to
revise.

3. Centering a large figure on a page by itself so that the paragraph
on the previous page continues on the page after the figure.

	I'd appreciate any help on doing these things.  I've had so
much trouble with figure and table placement that I'm about ready to
move everything into LaTeX.

	By the way, I'm also interested in hearing how Nisus handles
figure placement and paragraph wrapping.  I played with the demo for a
short while, but I couldn't get it to wrap figures the way figures are
meant to be wrapped.

	---Todd

aleskine@cs.hut.fi (Arto Leskinen) (05/02/91)

You can move an empty header outside of margins. Easist way is to do it in
print preview mode.
I thin that if you want that text wraps around an table it has to be converted
to picture.
If you put section brake fefore and after a picture(set section brake to
nothing), and set the picture position relative to margins, you can set the
place of picture with mouse in print preview mode and text wraps automaticly.
If this was aid in a complicated way, I can rewrite it after trying in word.
aleskine@sauna.hut.fi

paul@u02.svl.cdc.com (Paul Kohlmiller) (05/07/91)

The space in the empty headers might be caused by blank lines in the header.
You might try opening the header window and use the mouse to position the cursor
to the bottom of the window or close to it. Then delete the carriage returns.
The idea of a table that can have text flow around it is a good one but then
you are not really using it as a table (in the Word 4.0 sense) but as a
graphic. I like the way word does it but other word processors (and I think
Nisus works this way) use "outboard" utilities to make tables so that they
really are graphics.
The third thing you are trying to do was answered by Leskinen, it sounds right
but I haven't tried it.
Actually the 2 and 3 items on your list sound like items for a page layout
program (and I guess that is what LaTex is). When I want to do something like
that I use QuarkStyle (Quark's version of QuarkExpress for the slim of wallet).
Note that you would still have to turn the table into a graphic.
Good luck.

--
     // Paul H. Kohlmiller           //  "Cybers, Macs and Mips"         //
     // Control Data Corporation     // Internet: paul@robin.svl.cdc.com   //

michaelg@neon.Stanford.EDU (Michael Greenwald) (05/07/91)

paul@u02.svl.cdc.com (Paul Kohlmiller) writes:

>The idea of a table that can have text flow around it is a good one but then
>you are not really using it as a table (in the Word 4.0 sense) but as a
>graphic.

Have you tried the Position Command on the table?  If you change the
width it should treat the Table as a "positioned object".  According
to my manual (page 280 of the 4.0 version): "The text of normal
paragraphs flows around the boundaries of any positioned objects on
the page."

If the problem is that the caption doesn't stay with the table, then
maybe you can try to use the Position Command on the caption, too.
Two contiguous paragraphs with identical position commands are
supposed to be treated as a single object.

Caveat: I don't normally use Word much, I'm typically a LaTex user.
The little I know about Word comes from helping out my wife, so if
someone tells you that I;m wrong about this Tables stuff, they're
probably right.

richs@microsoft.UUCP (Rick SCHAUT) (05/08/91)

In article <32927@shamash.cdc.com> paul@u02.svl.cdc.com (Paul Kohlmiller) writes:
>The space in the empty headers might be caused by blank lines in the header.
>You might try opening the header window and use the mouse to position the
>cursor to the bottom of the window or close to it.

A better way to see blank lines in a document or a header/footer is Edit/
Show <Para Mark> (or Cmd-Y).  This has the added effect of showing things
like spaces as small dots.

>The idea of a table that can have text flow around it is a good one but then
>you are not really using it as a table (in the Word 4.0 sense) but as a
>graphic.

This is the second time I've seen someone suggest that Word doesn't allow
text to flow around a table.  Try the following steps:

--Select the table (easiest way is to move the mouse over the left edge of
	the table--cursor points up and to the right instead of up and to
	the left-- double click to select the first row; then drag down
	until the whole table is selected).

--Format/Position...
--Select "center" in the "Vertical" Combo box.
--Press the "Preview..." button
--Make sure that the margins icon (second from the top on LHS of window) is
	selected.
--The table is now outlined differently than the other parts of your
	doucment.
--You can now click and drag the table anywhere on the page.  After droping
	the table somewhere on the page, click in the gray area around the
	page, and the text will be redrawn flowing around the table.

You can now edit the contents of the table and the text will still flow
around it when it is printed.

--
Rick Schaut
...{uunet | uw-beaver}!microsoft!richs

";jkalshdg ;algh a;'ga;o rgha'rg 'aer g" <- Developer's Chicken Scratch