[comp.sys.mac.apps] Pagemaker printing

thuyan@brahms.udel.edu (Thuy-An Hartman) (05/03/91)

Does any one know what determines which driver you need to use
for your printer (apple versus aldus)???

We have Apple laserwriters and only the apple drivers seem to work.

If we purchase new printers, will this get rid of the problem?

thanks, Thuy-An
thuyan@brahms.udel.edu

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) (05/03/91)

In article <21056@brahms.udel.edu> thuyan@brahms.udel.edu (Thuy-An Hartman) writes:
#>Does any one know what determines which driver you need to use
#>for your printer (apple versus aldus)???
#>
#>We have Apple laserwriters and only the apple drivers seem to work.
#>
#>If we purchase new printers, will this get rid of the problem?
#>
#>thanks, Thuy-An
#>thuyan@brahms.udel.edu

Aldus' driver should work with Apple laserprinters
provided you install the appropriate files (speaking
of PageMaker 4.0).

The difference is that Apple's driver is incapable of
printing some things. For instance, if you do reversals,
(white text on black or grey backgrounds), Aldus' driver
will print them but Apple's won't.

On the other hand, Apple's driver prints in the background
with Print Monitor but Aldus' doesn't. You can get it to
spool with SuperLaserSpool but it doesn't work with a
large print file.

Steve Goldfield

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) (05/09/91)

thuyan@brahms.udel.edu (Thuy-An Hartman) writes:

>Does any one know what determines which driver you need to use
>for your printer (apple versus aldus)???

>We have Apple laserwriters and only the apple drivers seem to work.

We have our Laserwriters connected serially (on a LAN) and
must use the Apple drivers.

--
-
Sue Klefstad    Ill. Natural History Survey    klefstad@uiuc.edu