[comp.sys.mac.apps] Type 1 -> TrueType

jo0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jared M. Oberhaus) (04/13/91)

We're waiting for System 7.0 and TrueType (even though it is available
now). We have many Adobe PostScript Type 1 fonts. I understand that
there is a program called FontMonger that converts between Type 1, Type
3, TrueType, and Illustrator outlines, and Altsys's Metamorphasis has
been upgraded to Metamorphasis Pro and supports TrueType, Type 1, Type
3, PICT outlines, and Freehand and Illustrator outlines.
We are very interested in converting our investment in our Type 1 fonts
into Apple's superior integration of fonts with TrueType. What we want
to know is what kind of quality should we expect from this conversion?
It is my feeling that Metamorphasis will probably give the best quality
translation as they've been doing this for a while. And which of the two
would be better?
Also, once I've translated these outline fonts to TrueType, what happens
when a font needs to be downloaded into a LaserWriter or a LinoType RIP?
Does the Mac still need to download a genuine PostScript font or is
there some trickery involved? That is, once converted, can I just trash
all our PostScript fonts out of the System folder (they make a mess!)?
Please send me personal email and I'll summarize the responses on the net.
Thanks!

Jared Oberhaus
Carnegie Mellon University

mel@fleet.UUCP (mel) (04/23/91)

In article <8c1YgUe00Uzx41_ghr@andrew.cmu.edu> jo0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jared M. Oberhaus) writes:
>We are very interested in converting our investment in our Type 1 fonts
>into Apple's superior integration of fonts with TrueType. What we want
>to know is what kind of quality should we expect from this conversion?

Superior?  In some ways maybe - but according to the Apple rep at our last user
group meeting, True Type fonts cannot even be rotated.  I don't think I'd rush
to convert my Type 1's to True Type just yet.

Mel Shear
!rex!fleet!mel
New Orleans, LA.

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (05/02/91)

mel@fleet.UUCP (mel) writes:
> .................. True Type fonts cannot even be rotated.

Have you actually tried this?  It would seem that taking the
word of someone else about something as important as this
should be investigated prior to publishing.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (05/03/91)

mel@fleet.UUCP (mel) writes:

>In article <8c1YgUe00Uzx41_ghr@andrew.cmu.edu> jo0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jared M. Oberhaus) writes:
>We are very interested in converting our investment in our Type 1 fonts
>into Apple's superior integration of fonts with TrueType. What we want
>to know is what kind of quality should we expect from this conversion?

   One additional thing about simple conversion from Type 1 to TrueType. In
order to take advantage of all of the TrueType features, the font has to
be created specifically for TrueType.  Using a font conversion program is
just like a simple port of a program from MS-DOS to the Mac.  It works, but
none of the advantages are used.

   I would suggest waiting until a font developer supplies the font in 'native'
TrueType format.  I think that because there are many developers wanting to
make money supplying these fonts without having to pay Adobe anything, maybe
these fonts will cost less than their Type 1 counterparts.

   I read this in a magazine some time back.  I am not a font developer nor
do I know how it is done.

      +--------------------------+---------------------------------------+
     /    Patrick Hoepfner       |    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    \
    / America Online: PatrickH9  | Internet: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov \
   +-----------------------------+------------------------------------------+

mel@fleet.UUCP (mel) (05/04/91)

In article <6338@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>mel@fleet.UUCP (mel) writes:
>> .................. True Type fonts cannot even be rotated.
>
>Have you actually tried this?  It would seem that taking the
>word of someone else about something as important as this
>should be investigated prior to publishing.

Considering the problems caused by 6.0.7 when run on the FX I cannot
validate the statement made by Apples tech rep for New Orleans.  Perhaps
when a stable 7.0 is shipped and my hard drive manufacturer ships a
7.0 tested formatter I'll be able to confirm the reps statement about
true type rotation. (I'm sure you know 6.0.7 is minimum required system
version for true type).

I wonder why the Apple rep would make a statement to 100 plus members
of our New Orleans Mac user group (NOMUG) that would indicate this
limitation of current release of true type unless it was true.

Perhaps the 7.0 versions of True Type and respective print drivers
won't have this limitation?

Anyone at Apple care to step forward and clarify this issue of True Type
rotation?

Mel Shear
New Orleans, LA.
!rex!fleet!mel

norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (05/05/91)

From article <6338@crystal9.UUCP>, by derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa):
> mel@fleet.UUCP (mel) writes:
>> .................. True Type fonts cannot even be rotated.
>
> Have you actually tried this?  It would seem that taking the
> word of someone else about something as important as this
> should be investigated prior to publishing.
> --
> =       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =

Upside: Truetype fonts _can_ be rotated.
Downside: Quickdraw is not yet smart enough to do this.

I suspect that Apple is working on providing Quickdraw support for
text on a path, etc. Heck, we may even see it as early as the first
release of System 8.0 :-).

--
Norman Graham

<norman@a.cs.okstate.edu>                 Standard Disclaimer Applies
{cbosgd,rutgers}!okstate!norman

eabu111@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Luh) (05/05/91)

I believe truetype _can_ be rotated already.  I was using Freehand 3.0 at home
and I curved truetype fonts (times) along a path (half circle) and I printed it
via Deskwriter at best mode.  What I saw was a perfectly shaped rendering along
the path.  Therefore I assume that if you have a program that can use both
type and also place the type along an angle then you should be able to print it
out reguardless of orientation.

Please correct me if I'm wrong so I can tell Freehand that its not supposed to
do that (j/k).

-Steve

weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (05/06/91)

In article <14@fleet.UUCP> mel@fleet.UUCP () writes:
>(I'm sure you know 6.0.7 is minimum required system
>version for true type).

I hear conflicting information about this...is 6.0.7 the minimum, or is it
6.0.5???
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael Weiss  weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu  |  School of Engineering and  -

klingspo@mozart.cs.colostate.edu (Steve Klingsporn) (05/06/91)

You can run the TT Extension in 6.0.5.
You can convert among diff. font types to TT via Metamorphosis Pro.
Unfortunately, it does a bad job at hinting, something I understand is
usually/always done by hand anyhow.

Steve Klingsporn

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (05/06/91)

In article <2665@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:
>In article <14@fleet.UUCP> mel@fleet.UUCP () writes:
>>(I'm sure you know 6.0.7 is minimum required system
>>version for true type).
>
>I hear conflicting information about this...is 6.0.7 the minimum, or is it
>6.0.5???

I'll quote from the installation instructions on one of the TrueType disks
from Apple:

"Although the TrueType software will function on System 6.0.5, that
configuration has not been tested thoroughly and we recommend you
upgrade to System 6.0.7 or later."

I've used it for several weeks on a 6.0.5 Mac512ke with no problem.

Obviously, a user beware situation.

jim

--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (05/09/91)

|Perhaps when a stable 7.0 is shipped and my hard drive manufacturer
|ships a 7.0 tested formatter I'll be able to confirm the reps
|statement about true type rotation.

Huh....."7.0 tested formatter".....what is that supposed to mean? Do
you need to reformat your drive for Systems 7.0....I have never heard
about this?

Gary
---
    UUCP: ogicse!clark!pro-freedom!gsnow   | Pro-Freedom: 206/253-9389
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                | Vancouver, Wa
 ARPANet: crash!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Apple*Van
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com        | Vancouver Apple Users Group