[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS Word 4.0 Inabilities.....

gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) (05/05/91)

Does anyone out there know how to tell Word 4.0 to number a given
page a certain number?  I mean, I have a 23 page Word document that
needs to have certain files (individual pages, charts, graphs) added from
other programs (MacDraw, MacPaint, et al) that will screw up the page
numbering of the text.  I can't cut them and paste them into Word (at
least not all of them...)

I know some other word processors will let you assign a page number to any
given page...I can't find a thing about it in the docs...as another footnote,
it doesn't look like you can start the numbering with anything other than page
1 or 2...Any clue out there?  I think this is a major feature that any word
processor should have..

Thanks for the help.
* Greg Ford				GEnie:    G.FORD3		      *
* University of Southern California	Internet: gford%nunki.usc.edu@usc.edu *

eabu111@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Luh) (05/05/91)

>I know some other word processors will let you assign a page number to any
>given page...I can't find a thing about it in the docs...as another footnote,
>it doesn't look like you can start the numbering with anything other than page
>1 or 2...Any clue out there?  I think this is a major feature that any word
>processor should have..

If you look under the menu Format and sub menu Document, you can change the
beginning of the page numbering scheme from 1 to anything you desire.

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) (05/06/91)

eabu111@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Luh) writes:

>>I know some other word processors will let you assign a page number to any
>>given page...I can't find a thing about it in the docs...as another footnote,
>>it doesn't look like you can start the numbering with anything other than page
>>1 or 2...Any clue out there?  I think this is a major feature that any word
>>processor should have..

>If you look under the menu Format and sub menu Document, you can change the
>beginning of the page numbering scheme from 1 to anything you desire.

Not only that, but if you split the document into two sections at each place
you'd like to insert a page from elsewhere, you can renumber the sections any
which way you like.  You could start numbering the second section 3 pages
after the end of the first, leaving you 3 pages of room to insert.
Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) (05/06/91)

Incidentally, before anyone goes and flames me or word, I DON'T mean you have
to save the document in separate files or anything.  Just choose 'Insert
Section Break' from the menu.
Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Rosen) (05/08/91)

Like one answer here said, you can start numbering from any page you
wish.  Your problem is a bit harder, though, since you won't want
consecutive numbering. I can only think of one way around this.  First, you
could start a new section (cmd-enter, I think) at each place where the
page numbers won't be consecutive, and then specify what page to start
the next section at, using the Format-->Section command.

If you come up with a better solution, let me know.  BTW, why can't
you paste the stuff into Word?

Mark Rosen
marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu

jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) (05/09/91)

In article <May.7.21.22.55.1991.14310@elbereth.rutgers.edu> marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Rosen) writes:
>If you come up with a better solution, let me know.  BTW, why can't
>you paste the stuff into Word?

Not being the poster of the previous article, being referred to here, I
can only guess why he could not paste his particular things into Word.
However, I have come across one VERY good reason not to paste things into
Word. For a recent project report (around 35 pages long), I had to keep about
8 pages as separate documents in order to obtain decent printing quality.
This was due to the fact that Wingz graphs and Claris CAD drawings were both
mauled when printed from Word. The fine line thickness adjustments used by
both programs seemed to be "rounded" by Word, so that very thin lines were 1
point wide and others were just huge. Also, the endpoints of the lines in
question often do not meet (even, for instance, when they had been snapped
together in Claris CAD). Also, Wingz's curve smoothing was made jagged.

Along these lines, does anyone know of a word processor or page layout program
that does quality output of graphics pasted in from Wingz and Claris CAD?

Jess Holle