[comp.sys.mac.apps] System corrupted?

v119mb9h@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Phillip C Ng) (05/04/91)

Recently the icons of two of my programs became generic icons
rather than what they were supposed to look like.  They are
QuickLink II and WriteNow.  The other programs in my hard disk
are ok.  I suspect that the system (or finder) may be corrupted
but not sure.  I am hesitant to replace the system because of
all the fonts and DA that I have installed.  Can someone shed
some light on this matter.  Thanks!

Phillip Ng
v119mb9h@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

alex@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Edmund Davis) (05/04/91)

In article <74787@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v119mb9h@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>Recently the icons of two of my programs became generic icons
>rather than what they were supposed to look like.  They are
>QuickLink II and WriteNow.  The other programs in my hard disk
>are ok.  I suspect that the system (or finder) may be corrupted
>but not sure.  I am hesitant to replace the system because of
>all the fonts and DA that I have installed.  Can someone shed
>some light on this matter.  Thanks!
>
>Phillip Ng
>v119mb9h@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

Before you do anything else, re-build your desktop files.  To do this,
restart your Mac.  While it is initializing, hold down the command and option
keys simultaneously.  You will be asked if you really want to rebuild the
desktop.  Click OK.

See if that helps...

alex
----
Edmund A. Davis			     Internet:	alex@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
ACIUS Registered Developer	   Compuserve:	70471,3342
			              US Mail:	233-F So. Melville St.
(215) 386-3305					Philadelphia, PA 19139

larsoe@chuck.csd.uu.se (05/10/91)

(Phillip C Ng) writes:
>Recently the icons of two of my programs became generic icons
>rather than what they were supposed to look like.  They are
>QuickLink II and WriteNow.  The other programs in my hard disk
>are ok.  I suspect that the system (or finder) may be corrupted
>but not sure.  I am hesitant to replace the system because of
>all the fonts and DA that I have installed.  Can someone shed
>some light on this matter.  Thanks!
>
>Phillip Ng
>v119mb9h@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

I hope this is not too simple a solution for you, but simply trying to rebuild
the desktop could solve the problem. Another source of problems is the bundle
bit, which may get corrupted sometimes. This can be corrected by the little
shareware program Bund Aid or similar.

If this does not help, I suggest you try some of the recovery/diagnose programs
on the market. The one I have had the most benefits from is the Norton
Utilities program, which has done a remarkable job in correcting all kinds of
file structure problems I've run into.

Good Luck,
Lars

PS. If any of the two first suggestions fixed the problem and it does not
recur, I don't think that you will have to change your system or finder.