[comp.sys.mac.apps] Mathematical & scientific characters.

morgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) (05/02/91)

Hi all,

I'm currently doing battle with one of the UNIX buffs here who insists
that he can produce higher quality output for his technical journal
papers using his UNIX box and TROFF/NROFF etc,. than with my Macs.

I have seen his output which is indeed of a high quality - credit
where credit is due (#$@*&%#@$). He insists that he cannot produce
output of similar quality on the Mac because - to use his words - there
is no way to control accurate line, character paragraph spacing etc., and
you cannot control accurately the thickness of the characters etc. Well,
I have to agree with him where MS-Word is concerened. BUT I have recently
'discovered' the wonderes of PageMaker 4.0. With PagaMaker, it took me about
an hour of trial and error before I could ACCURATELY reproduce his style
of output - BUT I did it.

My only problem now (and its too late for me to back out AND save face
at this time) is reproducing all the mathematical and scientific characters
which he requires. I know there are tricks to do this is MS-Word and I know
there is the Symbol font set. BUT these 2 sources alone are simply not
sufficient in supplying every type of technical sysmbol which my user
needs.

So to my question. What is the best method of reproducing these highly
technical symbols and characters from within PageMaker 4.0 ?  Is there a
different fornt set other than symbol which which is much more extensive ???

Remember - its a Mac vs. UNIX issue that we are talking about here so please
all you wonderful gurus out there in macLand - don't let me down, i'm counting
on you all.

Best regards - and may the best platform win,

Chris Morgan.
morgan@riks.nl

doner@henri.ucsb.edu (John Doner) (05/02/91)

In article <19851@slice.ooc.uva.nl> morgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) writes:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm currently doing battle with one of the UNIX buffs here who insists
>that he can produce higher quality output for his technical journal
>papers using his UNIX box and TROFF/NROFF etc,. than with my Macs.
>
>I have seen his output which is indeed of a high quality - credit
>where credit is due (#$@*&%#@$). He insists that he cannot produce
>output of similar quality on the Mac because - to use his words - there
>is no way to control accurate line, character paragraph spacing etc., and
>you cannot control accurately the thickness of the characters etc. Well,
>I have to agree with him where MS-Word is concerened. BUT I have recently
>'discovered' the wonderes of PageMaker 4.0. With PagaMaker, it took me about
>an hour of trial and error before I could ACCURATELY reproduce his style
>of output - BUT I did it.
>
>My only problem now (and its too late for me to back out AND save face
>at this time) is reproducing all the mathematical and scientific characters
>which he requires. I know there are tricks to do this is MS-Word and I know

He's right; troff will do much better than MS Word or some such when it
comes to formatting a technical document.  He's wrong if he thinks you
can't do it on a Mac.  The premier system for these purposes is not troff,
but TeX.  That is available on both Unix systems, Macs, PC's, even Ataris.
The Mac has a particularly nice version called Textures, costing about
$300, and an almost-as-good public domain (i.e., FREE) version called
OzTeX, which you can get via anonymous ftp from
         midway.uchicago.edu         (in pub/OzTeX)
My "almost-as-good" refers not to the quality of the output, which is
exactly the same, but to user interface features where the commercial
product appears to have a slight edge.

TeX itself is a freely available typesetting language and system
designed by Professor Donald Knuth of the Computer Science Department
at Stanford.  It is widely used; we use it for all our technical
typing here in the UCSB Math. Dept.; a company I consult for uses it
for all their technical reports, and so on.  Forget about troff.

John E. Doner	doner@henri.ucsb.edu	(805)893-3941
Dept. Mathematics, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA 93106

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) (05/02/91)

morgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) writes:

>So to my question. What is the best method of reproducing these highly
>technical symbols and characters from within PageMaker 4.0 ?  Is there a
>different fornt set other than symbol which which is much more extensive ???

Fontographer does the trick for me.  It's a PostScript font editor/designer.
When Symbol font is missing that critical, and bizarre, character, I just
draw it into my Symbol2 font.  (It is usually best to start from an existing
character that is as similar as you can find.)

In addition, nothing is more helpful for typing those odd characters that
PopChar.

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

gregoret@celeste.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Lydia M. Gregoret) (05/03/91)

morgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) writes:

>I'm currently doing battle with one of the UNIX buffs here who insists
>that he can produce higher quality output for his technical journal
>papers using his UNIX box and TROFF/NROFF etc,. than with my Macs.

>I have seen his output which is indeed of a high quality - credit
>where credit is due (#$@*&%#@$). He insists that he cannot produce
>output of similar quality on the Mac because - to use his words - there
>is no way to control accurate line, character paragraph spacing etc., and
>you cannot control accurately the thickness of the characters etc. Well,
>I have to agree with him where MS-Word is concerened. BUT I have recently
>'discovered' the wonderes of PageMaker 4.0. With PagaMaker, it took me about
>an hour of trial and error before I could ACCURATELY reproduce his style
>of output - BUT I did it.

There is a solution to the funky (uneven) line spacing that one gets
when mixing, say, Times and Symbol fonts in MS Word, or by having
subscripts and superscripts.

The solution is to select "-12" for line spacing in the Paragraph
dialog box (Format menu) instead of "Auto" (if you are working in 12
pt. font size and want single spacing.)  Any negative number forces
even spacing of lines to that width.  This is documented in the manual
under "Line Spacing".

Lydia Gregoret
gregoret@cgl.ucsf.edu

doner@henri.ucsb.edu (John Doner) (05/03/91)

=
[...]

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (05/03/91)

If you want a "contest" to see who can typeset technical formulas better,
try the benchmarks in the January, 1988, issue of the Notices of the
American Mathematical Society.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar                Internet:  edgar@mps.ohio-state.edu
  Department of Mathematics      Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

pgiltner@epas.toronto.edu (Phil Giltner) (05/06/91)

	For a year or so, I wound up doing scientific typing at MIT,
where I was introduced to two mac tricks for scientific/mathematical
output. One was Expressionist, which comes as a DA & application. Just
point & click, and it does the rest. Then just paste into your MS Word
document, and VOILA!. This was very easy and put out terrific quality stuff.

	There were others who used Tex for the Mac, which produced
beautiful output, and I understand its out put is readily transferable
from platform to platform. However, it isn't WYSIWYG in the input
stage, and certainly isn't very mac-like in its interface.

	But, I found many people who said the first method was very
acceptable. It is a bit tricky playing with line spacing, but by
customizing your menu in Word, you can make it relatively painless.

Philip Giltner
Department of History
University of Toronto
PGILTNER@EPAS.UTORONTO.CA

pwilliams@ecs.umass.edu (05/10/91)

In article <gregoret.673211693@celeste.mmwb.ucsf.edu>, gregoret@celeste.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Lydia M. Gregoret) writes:
> morgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) writes:
>
>>I'm currently doing battle with one of the UNIX buffs here who insists
>>that he can produce higher quality output for his technical journal
>>papers using his UNIX box and TROFF/NROFF etc,. than with my Macs.
>
> There is a solution to the funky (uneven) line spacing that one gets
> when mixing, say, Times and Symbol fonts in MS Word, or by having
> subscripts and superscripts.
>
> The solution is to select "-12" for line spacing in the Paragraph
> dialog box (Format menu) instead of "Auto" (if you are working in 12
> pt. font size and want single spacing.)  Any negative number forces
> even spacing of lines to that width.  This is documented in the manual
> under "Line Spacing".
>
> Lydia Gregoret
> gregoret@cgl.ucsf.edu

This works except when you have a fraction or integral, or something else
that would normally be higher than regular words or symbols.  Using
-24 for double for an equation can cut off part of the upper and lower
limits.

I'm an avid tex fan, I do stuff in word, but only when I'm told I have to.

                                                       Pam

sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (05/11/91)

In article <1991May6.123733.29103@epas.toronto.edu> pgiltner@epas.toronto.edu
(Phil Giltner) writes:

>        For a year or so, I wound up doing scientific typing at MIT,
>where I was introduced to two mac tricks for scientific/mathematical
>output. One was Expressionist, which comes as a DA & application. Just
>point & click, and it does the rest. Then just paste into your MS Word
>document, and VOILA!. This was very easy and put out terrific quality stuff.
>
>        There were others who used Tex for the Mac, which produced
>beautiful output, and I understand its out put is readily transferable
>from platform to platform. However, it isn't WYSIWYG in the input
>stage, and certainly isn't very mac-like in its interface.
>
>        But, I found many people who said the first method was very
>acceptable. It is a bit tricky playing with line spacing, but by
>customizing your menu in Word, you can make it relatively painless.
>
>Philip Giltner
>Department of History
>University of Toronto
>PGILTNER@EPAS.UTORONTO.CA

there is another program that you can use to mix the two metaphores...

its called MathType (from a company called Design Science). you invoke it from
a DA, but its a real application. like Expressionist, you can use it to form
equations, then copy the expression into your favorite MAC word processor. it
transfers as a PICT object.

but the neat thing is that you can also use it to output TeX source. when you
select the equation in MathType, then COPY to the clipboard, if a switch is set
to TeX, then when you do the paste into the word processor, you don't get the
picture of the equation, but the TeX that will produce the equation.

if i were using TeX (which i don't) and had call to do much equation writing, i
would almost surely want this facility.

  ---jon---