[comp.sys.mac.apps] Versaterm & Mathematica

drdan@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Dan Johnson) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May8.225511.126@midway.uchicago.edu> langer@control.uchicago.edu (Steve Langer) writes:
> I've had problems with Versaterm leaving my computer in some sort of
>funny state --- if I want to use Mathematica after using Versaterm, I
>have to reboot, or Mathematica will crash as it starts up. On the other
>not too many INITs, a recent version of Versaterm (I don't remember which
>one at the moment) and Mathematica 1.2.

I had the same problem. The answer was to upgrade to Mathematica 1.2.2.
Be warned that if you plan on using a Mathematica backend on a
different machine, Math 1.2.2 is much fussier about how you
make the connection than Math 1.2.

Daniel P. Johnson                 Honeywell Systems and Research Center
e-mail: drdan@src.honeywell.com   phone: 612-782-7427
office: 2433                      fax:   612-782-7438
Mac Mail: "Johnson Dan"           voice: "Yo, Dan!"
US mail: MN65-2500, 3660 Technology Drive, Minneapolis, MN  55418

langer@gibbs.uchicago.edu (Steve Langer) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.181042.13564@src.honeywell.com> drdan@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Dan Johnson) writes:
>In article <1991May8.225511.126@midway.uchicago.edu> langer@control.uchicago.edu I wrote:
>> I've had problems with Versaterm leaving my computer in some sort of
>>funny state --- if I want to use Mathematica after using Versaterm, I
>>have to reboot, or Mathematica will crash as it starts up. On the other
>>not too many INITs, a recent version of Versaterm (I don't remember which
>>one at the moment) and Mathematica 1.2.
>
>I had the same problem. The answer was to upgrade to Mathematica 1.2.2.

What can Versaterm be doing to make Mathematica crash *after* Versaterm
quits? Does it confuse the modem port in some way, and Mathematica
has a bug that only lets it start if the modem port is not confused?
I'm not using a remote Mathematica kernel, so it shouldn't care
about the port, right? The principle of cause and effect seems to say
that Versaterm is at fault, not Mathematica.

  Somebody else (sorry, I forgot your name) asked if I'd reported this
problem to Versaterm. No, I haven't, but only because
I've been lazy and I don't use Mathematica and Versaterm together too much.
I'll do it soon, unless somebody convinces me that cause and effect
doesn't hold for Macintosh software.

      -- Steve (langer@control.uchicago.edu)

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.201312.17709@midway.uchicago.edu> langer@gibbs.UUCP (Steve Langer) writes:
>What can Versaterm be doing to make Mathematica crash *after* Versaterm
>quits? Does it confuse the modem port in some way, and Mathematica
>has a bug that only lets it start if the modem port is not confused?
>I'm not using a remote Mathematica kernel, so it shouldn't care
>about the port, right? The principle of cause and effect seems to say
>that Versaterm is at fault, not Mathematica.

Come now. There's lots. Versaterm may be patching system calls, then
unpatching them when it leaves. One of the tricks we use to speed things
up is to get a trap address, and call it directly. When Versaterm removed
the patch, it might leave the direct address incorrect (it was the address
of the patch...). Mathematica calls the old address, and crashes. There are
quite a few similar scenerios that could also cause crashes (changes to
common globals, i.e. not those that MultiFinder swaps out, etc.). The
Mathematica developers could tell you quickly if they do  anything that
patching would affect, like trap dereferencing. Some programs (mostly older
ones, pre-MultiFinder) leave trails behind that the Finder would clean up.
With MultiFinder, this may not happen, and thus a crash may occur.
So, who's fault is it? Neither, or both. Either way, you're not happy...

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7

drdan@src.honeywell.com (05/11/91)

Langer) writes:
>What can Versaterm be doing to make Mathematica crash *after* Versaterm
>quits? Does it confuse the modem port in some way, and Mathematica
>has a bug that only lets it start if the modem port is not confused?
>I'm not using a remote Mathematica kernel, so it shouldn't care
>about the port, right? The principle of cause and effect seems to say
>that Versaterm is at fault, not Mathematica.
>  Somebody else (sorry, I forgot your name) asked if I'd reported this
>problem to Versaterm. No, I haven't, but only because
>I've been lazy and I don't use Mathematica and Versaterm together too
much.

I reported it to both companies, since I do use VersaTerm and Mathemetica
together a lot. The following is a partial list of my log:

--10/20/89:
Problem: Under Multi-finder, launch VersaTerm-Pro, Quit, launch
Mathematica, Quit. System bombs, sometimes with ID=11, ID=10, or simply
freezes in middle of window updates. Call to Wolfram Research: --bug in
Apple Palette Manager,try system 6.0.4 and call back
--10/23/89:
Follow-up: Installed 6.0.4. Problem still occurs. Increased Finder memory
allocation. Problem no longer reproducible, but still occurs. Problem also
occurs running VersaTerm and Telnet without Mathematica.
[Hindsight 5/10/91, this went away after next upgrade of Telnet.]
--11/15/89:
Call to Synergy Software:  Lonny Abelbeck: Bug in initialization of other
programs (e.g. Mathematica, Telnet). VersaTerm-PRO has history of exposing
bugs in other programs that way (a case was a beta copy of Adobe
Illustrator). Possible workaround: turn off "shared" attribute of VT-PRO
using ResEdit & "Get Info". Follow-up: "shared" bit already off.
--17-apr-90:
Received 3.1.1 upgrade with communications toolbox. Operating under system
6.0.5 with multifinder 6.1b9. Mathematica bombs upon launch after launching
Versaterm, even when started using serial tool instead of native serial
link.
--31-may-90:
Found readnews article on complex interaction bug between AddressBook,
VersaTerm, and SuperClock under MultiFinder involving modem port. Author
claimed problem was modem port usage coupled with an application calling
"InitWindow" before "InitFont". Suggested using hex edit tool to find "A9
12 A8 FE" and changing it to "A8 FE A9 12". Found and changed two
occurances in Mathematica. Result bombed in presence of VersaTerm. (Also
found "A9 12" in CODE resource "Main" ID=1, did not change it.)
--18-jul-90:
Found readnews article which stated that Multifinder had  "A9 12 A8 FE" bug
as well. Found one occurance in CODE resource "INIT" ID=1, as well as one
occurance of correct "A8 FE A9 12". Rehacked Mathematica and Multifinder
(6.1b9). Did not find occurances in VersaTerm-PRO or Darkness 1.01.
--19-oct-90:
Updated system version to 6.0.7.
--22-oct-90:
Talked to Tech Support about current status. About a month ago, Synergy
Software (Versaterm) contacted them about a bug in VersaTerm causing
problems. Current version of Mathematica is 1.2.2.
--13-nov-90
Received upgrade to Mathematica 1.2.2, and MacTCP 1.0.1. First trial
suggests that Versaterm and Mathematica can now run simultaneously.

--10-may-91
I am currently running successfully with Multifinder, system 6.0.7,
Mathematica 1.2.2, and Versaterm-Pro 3.1.1 (both with and without CTB).
Evidence seems to support Adelbeck's suggestion, that Versaterm leaves
memory in such a way that certain bugs in other programs are exposed.