[comp.sys.mac.apps] laser test page

Mark.Hollingsworth@f1.n354.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Hollingsworth) (04/20/91)

>>I remember someone telling me that there is a way to stop the laserwriter
from
printing the test page every time it's turn on. But now that I have my own
laserwriter, I cannot figure out how to do it.

Does anyone know how? Mine is a personal laserwriter NT if that makes any
difference.
<<<

Use Widgets. This is a neat file download utility, and you can also turn off
the start up page.

--
Mark Hollingsworth - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet, reed}!glacier!busker!354!1!Mark.Hollingsworth

dburr@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (04/21/91)

In article <410.280F8651@busker.fidonet.org> Mark.Hollingsworth@f1.n354.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Hollingsworth) writes:
>>>I remember someone telling me that there is a way to stop the laserwriter
>from
>printing the test page every time it's turn on. But now that I have my own
>laserwriter, I cannot figure out how to do it.
>
>Does anyone know how? Mine is a personal laserwriter NT if that makes any
>difference.
><<<
>
>Use Widgets. This is a neat file download utility, and you can also turn off
>the start up page.
>

>--
>Mark Hollingsworth - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
>    UUCP: ...!{uunet, reed}!glacier!busker!354!1!Mark.Hollingsworth
>INTERNET: Mark.Hollingsworth@f1.n354.z1.FIDONET.ORG

I have come up with the definitive answer for the debate thread on how to
stop the LaserWriter from printing test pages.  This was yanked straight
off a local BBS in Santa Barbara, CA.  Send all comments to the guy's
Email address (listed at end of file), or if you don't have access to these
services, ask me, and I'll forward a message.

--------------------------->8 cut here 8<---------------------------------

Switch LaserWriter off and remove Appletalk cables and hook up either (Apple
cable # 590-0197-A [DB-9 to DB-9] for the 512 Mac) or (Apple cable #590-0332-B
[DB-9 to mini 8] for the Mac Plus, to the modem port on the Mac and the other
end to the DB-9 on the LaserWriter. Change the setting on the LaserWriter to
9600 or 1200 baud and turn power on, then start up a terminal program at the
correct baud rate and 8 bits 2 stop and no parity.

Type:

"executive" Return

The LaserWriter will respond with:

PostScript(tm) Version 23.0
Copyright (c) 1984 Adobe Systems Incorporated.

At the prompt Type:

"serverdict begin 0 exitserver statusdict begin false setdostartpage" Return

The LaserWriter will respond with:

%%[ exitserver: permanent state may be changed ]%%

This acknowledgement says that you have changed this parameter permanently.

P.S. type only what is in the quote marks don't type the quote marks.In the
statement " server begin 0 " the 0 is a zero not the letter O.

If you want to change it back perform the same procedure but substistute "true"
for "false".

If you have any questions send Email to John Monaco on Compuserve "73317,3677"
or on GEnie "J Monaco".
Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

bskendig@bird.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr20.233308.18034@agate.berkeley.edu> dburr@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) writes:
[a way to stop the LaserWriter from printing out test pages on startup]

That works if you care to go to all the trouble!  A much easier way is
to send the following program to the printer:

%!
serverdict begin 0 exitserver
statusdict begin
false setdostartpage
end

The %! as the first line tells the PostScript interpreter in the
printer to process the rest of the input as a program, not as text to
print.  The rest of it just resets the printer to not print test pages
any more.  I'm not sure if this lasts across power interruptions (I
think it does), but it works well to cut down on the paper wasted
during a printer war (when people keep reinitializing the printer back
and forth between two different versions of Laser Prep).

You can send the program with an application such as "SendPS", or any
one of several font downloaders that let you also download PostScript
programs, or from Unix.  Not that you can't just type this into
MacWrite and run it on the printer by printing it, because MacWrite is
smart enough to draw each letter before it sends it to the printer.

Good luck!

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (04/21/91)

dburr@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) writes:

>I have come up with the definitive answer for the debate thread on how to
>stop the LaserWriter from printing test pages.  This was yanked straight
>off a local BBS in Santa Barbara, CA.  Send all comments to the guy's
>Email address (listed at end of file), or if you don't have access to these
>services, ask me, and I'll forward a message.

The ultimate FAQ of this group?

Instead od torturing the poor printer (removing cables etc.), why not
download the code using SendPS or something? Here are the three little
gadgets I use:

--------
serverdict begin 0 exitserver
statusdict begin
false setdostartpage
end

--------
/Courier findfont 12 scalefont setfont

30 700 moveto

(The total number of pages printed on this laser printer is: ) show

statusdict begin pagecount 10 string cvs show

showpage

--------
serverdict begin 0 exitserver
statusdict begin
true setdostartpage
end

The first one disables the startup page, the second prints the total page
count, the third enables test page. The reason you may want #2 is that
(as urban legend has it) you shouldn't use #1 & #3 *too* often. Once you
disable the test page, leave it that way and use #2 to check if you need to
buy toner any time soon.

Works for me...

--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

alex@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Edmund Davis) (05/04/91)

Here's a new twist on an old thread:

I want to print out extra start-up pages.  An office I do some work for
uses the page count for accounting purposes.  Whenever they want it, they
turn it off and back on again.  I think that this switching is hard
on the machine.
Could someone post the postscript code that forces a laserwriter to
print it's start-up page?

thanks.

alex
<no sig>

dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu (Dirk Herr-Hoyman) (05/07/91)

In article <42570@netnews.upenn.edu> alex@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Edmund Davis)
writes:
>Here's a new twist on an old thread:
>
>I want to print out extra start-up pages.  An office I do some work for
>uses the page count for accounting purposes.  Whenever they want it, they
>turn it off and back on again.  I think that this switching is hard
>on the machine.
>Could someone post the postscript code that forces a laserwriter to
>print it's start-up page?
>
>thanks.

Here is a postscript program that will print the total number of pages printed
on an Apple LaserWriter.

statusdict begin
/Helvetica findfont 12 scalefont setfont
20 750 moveto
/str 80 string def
(Page count for printer ) show
str printername show
( is ) show
pagecount str cvs show
end
showpage

Now, to make this work you must print this as postscript.  I know of two ways
to do this.  1) Mark as Postscript style in MS-Word, 2) use SendPS (available
at the Sumex archives).

johnk@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (John Knippers) (05/07/91)

In article <42570@netnews.upenn.edu>, alex@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Edmund Davis) writes:
> Here's a new twist on an old thread:
>
> Could someone post the postscript code that forces a laserwriter to
> print it's start-up page?
>
> thanks.
>
> alex
> <no sig>

  You can send this to have a laserwriter generate a startup page:

	serverdict /startpage get cvx exec showpage

--
John Knippers
Graphic Printing & Imaging Division

tjfs@tadtec.uucp (Tim Steele) (05/09/91)

For those of us who weren't paying attention: what's the PostScript to
suppress the power-on page?

Thanks

Tim
--
Regards

dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu (Dirk Herr-Hoyman) (05/09/91)

In article <TJFS.91May9121638@tadtec.uucp> tjfs@tadtec.uucp (Tim Steele)
writes:
>For those of us who weren't paying attention: what's the PostScript to
>suppress the power-on page?

It's

serverdict begin 0 exitserver
statusdict begin
false setdostartpage
end

Dirk Herr-Hoyman
dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu

marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Rosen) (05/10/91)

The laserwriter font utility program that on the True Type disks has a
couple of neat features.  One is that it lets you turn on or off the
startup page.  The other is that it lets you restart the printer
without turning it off and on again.  That's probably better than
actually switching, but I don't know if it's better than dl'ing the PS
code.

---------------------------------------
Mark J. Rosen
Internet:  marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu
CIS:  72717.2733@compuserve.com
---------------------------------------
--
---------------------------------------

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (05/11/91)

In article <42570@netnews.upenn.edu> Edmund Davis writes:
>I want to print out extra start-up pages.  An office I do some work for
>uses the page count for accounting purposes.  Whenever they want it, they
>turn it off and back on again.  I think that this switching is hard
>on the machine.
>Could someone post the postscript code that forces a laserwriter to
>print it's start-up page?

Here's a couple of solutions to try:

1. Use Apple's Font Downloader to reset the printer, which will cause a
   startup page to print.

2. Here's some postscript to print out the current pagecount:

	/Helvetica findfont 12 scalefont setfont
	72 300 moveto
	(Pages: ) show
	statusdict begin
		pagecount 5 string cvs show