[comp.sys.mac.apps] Global subscript change in Word 4?

inm501@csc.anu.edu.au (05/01/91)

	I think I saw someone asking this question recently but I lost the
solution.  So please bear with me.  How do you do a global change in Word 4
with a given style?  I wanted to change all my subscript a to subscript b.
	Thanks.
Ida

nm@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Nicolas Mercouroff) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May1.130821.1@csc.anu.edu.au> inm501@csc.anu.edu.au writes:

>	I think I saw someone asking this question recently but I lost the
>solution.  So please bear with me.  How do you do a global change in Word 4
>with a given style?  I wanted to change all my subscript a to subscript b.
>	Thanks.
>Ida

I don't know what was the solution proposed, but when I had to do
the same global change in my dissertation (like changing every
subscript 2 pt in 9 pt into a subscript 3 pt in 10 pt), I saved my
file in RTF (Rich Text Format). Then I opened it with a text-editor
with grep facilities (like Qued/M or MPW), performed a global change
of the coding of the subscript/font size format (I don't remember
how it is coded, but it is easy to figure it), and then re-opened it
with Word, et voila.

I hope it helps.
--
-Nicolas Mercouroff		nm@cs.brandeis.edu
 Dept. of Computer Sciences, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02154

eabu111@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Luh) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.134652.15691@news.cs.brandeis.edu> nm@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Nicolas Mercouroff) writes:
>In article <1991May1.130821.1@csc.anu.edu.au> inm501@csc.anu.edu.au writes:
>>
>>	I think I saw someone asking this question recently but I lost the
>>solution.  So please bear with me.  How do you do a global change in Word 4
>>with a given style?  I wanted to change all my subscript a to subscript b.
>>	Thanks.

>I don't know what was the solution proposed, but when I had to do
>the same global change in my dissertation (like changing every
>subscript 2 pt in 9 pt into a subscript 3 pt in 10 pt), I saved my
>file in RTF (Rich Text Format). Then I opened it with a text-editor
>with grep facilities (like Qued/M or MPW), performed a global change
>of the coding of the subscript/font size format (I don't remember
>how it is coded, but it is easy to figure it), and then re-opened it
>with Word, et voila.

Hummm... just a suggestion off the top of my head - has anyone tried styles???
Define a style for superscript such as "Super" then when you want to place a
superscript, just use the style instead.  Then when you want to change the
style from super to subscript, just change the style and everything that used
the style superscript should change accordingly.

Steven
(No Fancy Attachments Here)

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (05/08/91)

In article <28275C26.26315@orion.oac.uci.edu>, eabu111@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Luh) writes:
> In article <1991May7.134652.15691@news.cs.brandeis.edu> nm@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Nicolas Mercouroff) writes:
>>In article <1991May1.130821.1@csc.anu.edu.au> inm501@csc.anu.edu.au writes:
>>>
>>>	I think I saw someone asking this question recently but I lost the
>>>solution.  So please bear with me.  How do you do a global change in Word 4
>>>with a given style?  I wanted to change all my subscript a to subscript b.
>>>	Thanks.
>

>>I don't know what was the solution proposed, but when I had to do
>>the same global change in my dissertation (like changing every
>>subscript 2 pt in 9 pt into a subscript 3 pt in 10 pt), I saved my
>>file in RTF (Rich Text Format). Then I opened it with a text-editor
>>with grep facilities (like Qued/M or MPW), performed a global change
>>of the coding of the subscript/font size format (I don't remember
>>how it is coded, but it is easy to figure it), and then re-opened it
>>with Word, et voila.

That's about it.  You can of course use Word to edit it but it is rather
clumsy.

> Hummm... just a suggestion off the top of my head - has anyone tried styles???
> Define a style for superscript such as "Super" then when you want to place a
> superscript, just use the style instead.  Then when you want to change the
> style from super to subscript, just change the style and everything that used
> the style superscript should change accordingly.

No sigh, this is one of Words BIG failures. Styles only apply to paragraphs,
there are no character styles - Oh I wish there were.

--
David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA

raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (cantva) (05/08/91)

From article <1991May8.180848.2438@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au>, by bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au:
> In article <28275C26.26315@orion.oac.uci.edu>, eabu111@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Luh) writes:
> No sigh, this is one of Words BIG failures. Styles only apply to paragraphs,
> there are no character styles - Oh I wish there were.

It is strange that on the PC, Word has characters styles (has had for years).

I'd rather like to see a table style as well.

Raymond.

--
Raymond Wilson.	email:	raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
		snail:	c/- Computer Science Department,

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.224137.669@csc.canterbury.ac.nz>, raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (cantva) writes:
> From article <1991May8.180848.2438@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au>, by bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au:
>> In article <28275C26.26315@orion.oac.uci.edu>, eabu111@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Luh) writes:
>> No sigh, this is one of Words BIG failures. Styles only apply to paragraphs,
>> there are no character styles - Oh I wish there were.
>
> It is strange that on the PC, Word has characters styles (has had for years).

That's because the PC version has generally been about 2 versions
ahead of the Mac version (mutter mutter). Aren't they up to
version 6 for the PC? We've been stuck with 4.0 (or minor
permutations thereof) for nearly three years if I remember
correctly.

--
See ya
                                Nigel.

Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (05/10/91)

eabu111@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Luh) writes:

SL> Hummm... just a suggestion off the top of my head - has anyone
SL> tried styles??? Define a style for superscript such as "Super"
SL> then when you want to place a superscript, just use the style
SL> instead. Then when you want to change the style from super to
SL> subscript, just change the style and everything that used the
SL> style superscript should change accordingly.

that would work, if only Mac Word 4 supported character styles.  Alas, Mac Word 4 only goes down to the paragraph level.  Therefore, I think the method of hacking into the RTF formatted file is the preferred method.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!20.18!Adam.Frix

Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (05/13/91)

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) writes:

> > It is strange that on the PC, Word has characters styles
> > (has had for years).
>
> That's because the PC version has generally been about 2
> versions ahead of the Mac version (mutter mutter). Aren't
> they up to version 6 for the PC? We've been stuck with 4.0
> (or minor permutations thereof) for nearly three years if I
> remember correctly.

PC Word is up to 5.5 for DOS and 1.something for Windows.  (And the version 5.5/DOS did nothing but offer better document conversion to/from Windows and Mac, and otherwise piss people off **big** time by changing the way features are accessed from the keyboard.  Hey, sure, <escape-transfer-load> might not be a quickly intuitable way to do things, but to users of Word 5.0 and before, it was a known quantity and therefore quick and easy to do.  Word 5.5 changed that completely around, which amounted to learn

ing a brand new program.  Dumb, Microsoft, really dumb.)

But please notice:  Word 4/Mac has been out for 2 years now, and has had tables all along.  And tables, while not yet perfect, are a _major_ improvement over side-by-side paragraphs.  And yet, where is Word 5.x/DOS?  Still at side-by-side paragraphs.  And how about moving around positioned paragraphs in preview mode?  Word 4/Mac, no problem.  Word 5.x/DOS, not possible.  The list goes on.  There are some things that I find indispensable that are available only in Word 4/Mac and not in Word 5.x/DOS.

So, to say that "the PC versions have always been 2 versions ahead" just tells me that you only look at the version numbers, not the contents of the programs.  In some ways Word 4/Mac is well advanced of Word 5.x/DOS.  Just because 5 is a higher number than 4 doesn't mean it's a more advanced version.

(PS:  if anyone at Microsoft is listening in on this, here's an idea for tables:  I would like to use tables to do parallel columns.  To be a completely useful feature, these "parallel columns" (table columns) must be able to be mirrored when mirrored margins are set up.  I need two columns, an inside wide column and an outside narrow column.  I could set up a table in Word 4/Mac with a wide and a narrow column, but I need the wide/narrow to go inside/outside, not just left/right as it would do normally in

 Word 4/Mac.)

--Adam--