[comp.sys.mac.apps] Modem woes

v113px6j@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Thomas A Overfield) (05/10/91)

Hi.  I just got a Hayes 2400 baud modem for my Mac, but as usual it's
driving me crazy.  I'm using Kermit (hey, it's free) but when I imput
"atdt xxx-xxxx" to make it dial I run into a glitch.  It gets a dial
tone and then I hear the touch tone beeps as it dials.  Then nothing
happens.  I think it could be because I don't have touch tone service
and that's why the tones don't get any results.  If this is true how do
I make my modem simulate a rotary phone?

Any help is greatly appreciated since the microcomputer consultant
down here didn't have the foggest idea what I was talking about and
couldn't be made to understand.  (some consultant).

bskendig@bird.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/10/91)

In article <75904@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v113px6j@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>... when I imput
>"atdt xxx-xxxx" to make it dial I run into a glitch.  It gets a dial
>tone and then I hear the touch tone beeps as it dials.  Then nothing
>happens.  I think it could be because I don't have touch tone service
>and that's why the tones don't get any results.  If this is true how do
>I make my modem simulate a rotary phone?

I believe the problem is that "atdt" means "dial touchtone".  Try
using "atdp" for "dial pulse' instead, and see what happens?

At least, I _think_ this is the correct sequence.  Look in your manual
-- it should have a summary of Hayes commands.

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

bible@iastate.edu (Bible Anthony E) (05/11/91)

In article <75904@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v113px6j@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>Hi.  I just got a Hayes 2400 baud modem for my Mac, but as usual it's
>driving me crazy.  I'm using Kermit (hey, it's free) but when I imput
>"atdt xxx-xxxx" to make it dial I run into a glitch.  It gets a dial
>tone and then I hear the touch tone beeps as it dials.  Then nothing
>happens.  I think it could be because I don't have touch tone service
>and that's why the tones don't get any results.  If this is true how do
>I make my modem simulate a rotary phone?

	I believe "atd xxx-xxxx" is the Hayes command for rotary dial-up.
The extra "t" in "atdt" stands for touch-tone.

	You might also want to verify you have kermit setup for the proper
speed, parity, stop-bits for the host you are calling.  Sorry, I do not know
what the Kermit set-up stuff is; I use something else.

tony

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn L. Austin) (05/11/91)

In article <75904@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v113px6j@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Thomas A Overfield) writes:

> Hi.  I just got a Hayes 2400 baud modem for my Mac, but as usual it's
> driving me crazy.  I'm using Kermit (hey, it's free) but when I imput
> "atdt xxx-xxxx" to make it dial I run into a glitch.  It gets a dial
> tone and then I hear the touch tone beeps as it dials.  Then nothing
> happens.  I think it could be because I don't have touch tone service
> and that's why the tones don't get any results.  If this is true how do
> I make my modem simulate a rotary phone?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated since the microcomputer consultant
> down here didn't have the foggest idea what I was talking about and
> couldn't be made to understand.  (some consultant).

I agree.  Some consultant.  The answer is:  use ATDP for pulse dialing.  Simple, huh?

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp         | CI$:       76354,1434                 |
| GENie:     G.AUSTIN3                | AOnline:   GAustin                    |

kik@wjh12.harvard.edu (Ken Kreshtool) (05/12/91)

In article <75904@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v113px6j@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>Hi.  I just got a Hayes 2400 baud modem for my Mac, but as usual it's
>driving me crazy.  I'm using Kermit (hey, it's free) but when I imput
>"atdt xxx-xxxx" to make it dial I run into a glitch.  It gets a dial
>tone and then I hear the touch tone beeps as it dials.  Then nothing
>happens.  I think it could be because I don't have touch tone service
>and that's why the tones don't get any results.  If this is true how do
>I make my modem simulate a rotary phone?

"at" means you are using the "at" command set; "d" means dial; "t" means
"tone".  If you want pulse dialing, type "atdp xxx-xxxx".  For many modems, and
probably your Hayes, the default is pulse, so you could also type "atd
xxx-xxxx".

>Any help is greatly appreciated since the microcomputer consultant
>down here didn't have the foggest idea what I was talking about and
>couldn't be made to understand.  (some consultant).

Most of our computer consultants are exactly the same.  Sigh.

Ken Kreshtool
kik@wjh12.harvard.edu

stanfiel@testeng1.misemi (Chris Stanfield) (05/13/91)

In article <75904@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v113px6j@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>Hi.  I just got a Hayes 2400 baud modem for my Mac, but as usual it's
>driving me crazy.  I'm using Kermit (hey, it's free) but when I imput
>"atdt xxx-xxxx" to make it dial I run into a glitch.  It gets a dial
>tone and then I hear the touch tone beeps as it dials.  Then nothing
>happens.  I think it could be because I don't have touch tone service
>and that's why the tones don't get any results.  If this is true how do
>I make my modem simulate a rotary phone?

Try atdp xxx-xxxx if you have pulse service. Sorry to have to post
this, but our mailer seems to be sick at the moment

Chris Stanfield, Mitel Corporation: E-mail to:- uunet!mitel!testeng1!stanfiel
(613) 592 2122 Ext.4960
We do not inherit the world from our parents - we borrow it from our children.