[comp.sys.mac.apps] Excel 3 ?'s

cabruen@athena.mit.edu (Charles Alan Bruen) (05/13/91)

Hello,

	I am a new user to excel and seem to be having very simple
problems. I am a regular user of quatro and lotus so i do know how to
use spreadsheets.

	1. is there any way to move the cursor when editing a formula
with out having to use the mouse. when I have the text insertion bar
somewhere and hit the cursor it changes cells. I simply want it to skip
characters.

	2. is there a function that simply zeros a value if it is
negative. this is what i have been doing but it requires to copies of
expression (which are quite long). "if(expr, expr,0)"

thanks

-Charles Bruen
 Aero/Astro MIT
 cabruen@athena.mit.edu

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (05/13/91)

cabruen@athena.mit.edu (Charles Alan Bruen) writes:

>Hello,

>	1. is there any way to move the cursor when editing a formula
>with out having to use the mouse. when I have the text insertion bar
>somewhere and hit the cursor it changes cells. I simply want it to skip
>characters.

  Hold down the option key, then press the right arrow/left arrow etc.
This also works with Option-Home, Option-End.

  (This is sort of documented in the quick reference... It mentions
these things, but it's incorrect.  It says to use Command-arrow, which
just doesn't work)

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Murphy's Law of Intelism:  Just when you thought Intel had done everything
possible to pervert the course of computer architecture, they bring out the 860

macq@miguel.llnl.gov (Don MacQueen) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.000959.11805@athena.mit.edu>, cabruen@athena.mit.edu (Charles Alan Bruen) writes:

|> 	2. is there a function that simply zeros a value if it is
|> negative. this is what i have been doing but it requires to copies of
|> expression (which are quite long). "if(expr, expr,0)"

I assume excel has the max and min functions.  If so, try    max(0,expr)

--
Don MacQueen