[comp.sys.mac.apps] Side by side tables : Summary

raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (R P Wilson ) (05/07/91)

WORD 4.0 Side by side tables problem: A summary of responses...

From ford@SEI.CMU.EDU Tue May  7 01:18:55 1991

>A quick thought (I haven't tried it):
>
>Put a section break before and after the tables;
>Make the section containing the tables two columns;
>If the first (left) table is shorter, add some spacing to force the second
>  table to the top of the second (right) column;
>Set the left margin for the second table to a negative value, forcing it
>  to slide over closer to the first table.

The problem here is that you can't move the table as a whole. Moving the
margin moves text without moving table. I already had zero space between
the columns so no improvement :-(

From: scharff@ucunix.san.uc.EDU

>I assume you are using Word4.x, correct?  I think that the only
>solution to your problem is to convert you tables to drawings and
>then put them side by side.
>
>1) Select table 1 (make sure that you are not showing special
>	characters such as returns, or spaces)
>2) Hold down command+option and type "D"
>[this creates a "drawing" of your table and pastes it to the clipboard]
>3) Select where you want to place the drawing.
>[if you think you might need to make correction to the tables in the
>future, make sure you save a duplicate of the document or of the tables
>by themselves.  Once you paste a drawing, if erased the table, you can not
>modify the drawing anymore unless you take it to a drawing program such as
>canvas or macdraw.]
>4) Select Paste (command-v)
>5) Do the same thing to the other table.
>6) Once you have to two drawings you can use the "possition" command
>(if you have 4.x this is much flexible and easier to use than side by side)
>or side-by-side.
>
>DON'T forget to makes copies of your tables.  They will be destroyed once
>you replace them with the drawings.

Good Idea! Except for one problem. Word, does actually produce a PICT so
fonts etc come out smoothe. But the PICT word produces can't represent
hairlines (which I use for table grid lines) Oh darn :-(

From: Rick_McCormack@mindlink.bc.ca

>Try this:  create one table of the correct number of columns for both tables,
>plus one column (COLStable1 + COLStable2 + 1).  Use the ColWidth settings to
>adjust the extra column to the size required to separate the two tables.  Use
>the cellBorder command to ensure that the "separating column" has no top and
>bottom borders (this assumes that your two tables are enclosed in cell borders,
>and that you do not wish the two tables to appear to be joined.)
>
>Depending on the material to be kept in the two tables, this solution will (a)
>work like a charm, and/or (b) look awful!  It is a KLUDGE, as many things in
>Word are, but...
>
>You might also look at copying the tables into a drawing program, and
>placing/sizing them, then re-pasting them in Word.

Didn't try this one - but it seems like one of the most workable.

From: macq@miguel.llnl.gov

>Try going into page preview mode, clicking on the margins icon (I think it is), and grabbing the tables with the mouse and moving them where you want them.
>
>p.s.
>
>I forgot to mention that they need to be positioned (any position will do) before going into print preview mode.

I tried this and it works. Word does tend to screw it up when displaying on
the screen in page preview mode though. Prints ok and is fine in galley view.

Thats all folks - thanks for your help.

Raymond.

--
Raymond Wilson.	email:	raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
		snail:	c/- Computer Science Department,

richs@microsoft.UUCP (Rick SCHAUT) (05/15/91)

There are two possibilities that would work quite well.  The first is to
merge the two tables into a single table.  If you have some compelling
reason for keeping the tables separate (e.g. each is a hot link to a
different Excel spreadsheet), you can turn both tables into APOs (using
format position) and position them side-by-side on the page in print
preview.

--
Rick Schaut
...{uunet | uw-beaver}!microsoft!richs

";jkalshdg ;algh a;'ga;o rgha'rg 'aer g" <- Developer's Chicken Scratch