[comp.sys.mac.apps] Disinfectant 2.x

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (05/09/91)

Our company has Disinfectant 2.4, and as of last night, this is the
same version that is on the sumex-aim.stanford.edu FTP site.  I have
heard, though, that there is a version 2.6.  The reason we need the
update is that we are experiencing problems that our Mac gurus think
sound suspiciously like a virus; files being increasingly corrupted,
no problems found by Norton Utils, file crashes, corrupted resource
forks...    Disinfectant 2.4 and SAM have not found anything (though
we can't use SAM all the time because it doesn't run under 7.0, and
we are developing software under 7.0.)
If there is a newer version of Disinfectant available, could someone
point us the way to it?  Thanks much!!!

                                                            Kurt
:: Kurt Tappe          (215) 363-9485 :: With.   Without.   And who'll ::
:: 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.     (home)  :: deny it's what the fighting's ||
:: Malvern, PA 19355-2214    458-5000 || all about?    -  Pink Floyd   ::
::                            (work)   --------------------------------||
::  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet     jkt100&psuvm.psu.edu     QLink: KurtTappe  ||

lentz@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Robert A. Lentz) (05/10/91)

In article <91129.103215JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) wrote:
>If there is a newer version of Disinfectant available, could someone
>point us the way to it?  Thanks much!!!
>
>                                                            Kurt

Disinfectant 2.4 (which you have) is the current version.

--
Robert Lentz				"Thought is but a flash between two
Student Consultant			 long nights, but that flash is

lev@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Brian S. Lev) (05/10/91)

In article <91129.103215JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu>, JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes...
>Our company has Disinfectant 2.4, and as of last night, this is the
>same version that is on the sumex-aim.stanford.edu FTP site.  I have
>heard, though, that there is a version 2.6.  The reason we need the
>update is that we are experiencing problems that our Mac gurus think
>sound suspiciously like a virus; files being increasingly corrupted,
>no problems found by Norton Utils, file crashes, corrupted resource
>forks...    Disinfectant 2.4 and SAM have not found anything (though
>we can't use SAM all the time because it doesn't run under 7.0, and
>we are developing software under 7.0.)
>If there is a newer version of Disinfectant available, could someone
>point us the way to it?  Thanks much!!!

I've not heard of any version of Disinfectant beyond 2.4, and just recently
read that John Norstad's not considering an update to handle the new "HC" (or
whatever people call it) virus that tangles the data fork of HyperCard stacks
because it's a simple case of scripting.

Have you tried backing up your hard disk, reinitializing it, and restoring
your files?  Also, you might want to zap your Mac's PRAM (a "secret" taught
to several of us here by the local support contractor):
     1) select the Control Panel while simultaneously holding down
	SHIFT, OPTION and CONTROL and answer "yes"
     2) restart the Mac while holding down OPTION and CONTROL (i.e., you
	want to rebuild the desktop file) and answer "yes"
     3) repeat step 1
     4) restart the Mac normally

This may or may not help, but it shouldn't hurt anything (but you *will* lose
info in the information box at the bottom of the "Info" window when you choose
"Get Info" from the FILE menu...)

|  Brian Lev/STX                           (301)286-9514   (FTS)888-9514     |
|  NASA Goddard Space Flight Center        DECnet: SDCDCL::LEV  (6153::LEV)  |
|  Advanced Data Flow Technology Office    TCP/IP: lev@dftnic.gsfc.nasa.gov  |
|  Code 930.4                              BITNET: LEV@DFTBIT                |
|  Greenbelt, MD  20771                    TELENET: [BLEV/GSFCMAIL]          |
|     X.400 Address: (C:USA,ADMD:TELEMAIL,PRMD:GSFC,O:GSFCMAIL,UN:BLEV)      |
|   "The ability of a network to knit together the members of a sprawling    |
|   community has proved to be the most powerful way of fostering scienti-   |
|   fic advancement yet discovered."  -- Peter Denning                       |
|     DISCLAIMER: THESE STATEMENTS ARE MY OWN AND *NOT* NASA'S OR STX'S!     |

llvvll@mixcom.COM (James R. Macak) (05/10/91)

In article <91129.103215JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>Our company has Disinfectant 2.4, and as of last night, this is the
>same version that is on the sumex-aim.stanford.edu FTP site.  I have
>heard, though, that there is a version 2.6.  The reason we need the
>update is that we are experiencing problems that our Mac gurus think
(many following lines deleted)

Disinfectant 2.4 is indeed the latest version of Disinfectant. There is no
version 2.5 that has been released and no version 2.6.

As previously noted by John Norstad, he is currently working on an update to
Disinfectant. The update is _not_ in response to a new viral threat, but
rather the release of System 7.0. (Hmm, I'm not quite sure if that came out
right...)          ;-)

Jim Macak

--
macak@mixcom.UUCP (James R. Macak)          "I'm curious, Doctor, why is it
uunet!uwm!mixcom!macak                       called 'M-5' and not 'M-1'?"

weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (05/11/91)

In article <5291@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> lev@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>Also, you might want to zap your Mac's PRAM (a "secret" taught
>to several of us here by the local support contractor):
>     1) select the Control Panel while simultaneously holding down
>	SHIFT, OPTION and CONTROL and answer "yes"

This brings up something I haven't thought about until now.  Does anyone
know how to zap the PRAM under System 7?  There's no Control Panel, so...?
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael Weiss  weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu  |  School of Engineering and  -

harv@harvs.UUCP (Patrick L. Harvey) (05/15/91)

In article <5291@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, lev@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Brian S. Lev) writes:
> Have you tried backing up your hard disk, reinitializing it, and restoring
> your files?  Also, you might want to zap your Mac's PRAM (a "secret" taught
> to several of us here by the local support contractor):
>      1) select the Control Panel while simultaneously holding down
> 	SHIFT, OPTION and CONTROL and answer "yes"
>      2) restart the Mac while holding down OPTION and CONTROL (i.e., you
> 	want to rebuild the desktop file) and answer "yes"
>      3) repeat step 1
>      4) restart the Mac normally

Ok, but you gotta hold down APPLE (we call in 'gobbledegook') also.

Patrick L. Harvey           | Home: romed!harvs!harv@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
VLSI Technology, Inc.       | Work: vlsisj!phx!harv@decwrl.dec.com
(602) 752-6151              |