[comp.sys.mac.apps] MAC screen capturing

sheila@wiley.uucp (Sheila Gee (Larry Gouger)) (05/14/91)

hi.  i was wondering whether anyone has used Mainstay's Capture 3.0 and
     what they thought of it?  and i've also heard that there is a way
     to capture the screen via a keyboard sequence.  if it is at all an
     issue, i've got an extended keyboard.  and has anyone heard of the
     DA Camera? is it a shareware?  and where can i get it.  and lastly
     how does these various screen capturing capabilities compare?

     thanks in advance.

     sheila   (sheila@wilbur.coyote.trw.com)

mzajac@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Michael Stephen Zajac) (05/15/91)

In <282FF6C0.33D@wilbur.coyote.trw.com> sheila@wiley.uucp (Sheila Gee (Larry Gouger)) writes:

>hi.  i was wondering whether anyone has used Mainstay's Capture 3.0 and
>     what they thought of it?  and i've also heard that there is a way
>     to capture the screen via a keyboard sequence.  if it is at all an
>     issue, i've got an extended keyboard.  and has anyone heard of the
>     DA Camera? is it a shareware?  and where can i get it.  and lastly
>     how does these various screen capturing capabilities compare?

>     thanks in advance.
>
>     sheila   (sheila@wilbur.coyote.trw.com)
Try Flash-It.  It is available at sumex-aim.stanford.edu in the directory
info-mac/cdev.  This is much like capture, but adds several options:
the ability to capture directly to disk or a printer.

Michael Zajac
mzajac@ccu.umanitoba.ca

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (05/15/91)

(BHST) Unknown host/domain name in "sheila@wiley.uucp"
Message appended to /u/grad/chai/dead.letter

Darn.

To: sheila@wiley.uucp
Subject: Re: MAC screen capturing
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Bcc:

If you're using a Mac in black and white mode, then cmd-shift-3 sends
it to a MacPaint file and cmd-shift-4 sends it to printer. (Capslock
sends whole screen and not just top window to printer when you cs4.)

If you want it in color, pick up one of the CDEVs that do that... I
have it at home, but forget the name... if you don't find out, send
me email and I'll try to rememeber to look.

Ian
--
Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu      Bitnet: 2fntnougat@ukanvax
I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (05/16/91)

In article <282FF6C0.33D@wilbur.coyote.trw.com> sheila@wiley.uucp (Sheila
Gee (Larry Gouger)) writes:
> i've also heard that there is a way
>      to capture the screen via a keyboard sequence.

Command-shift-3 takes a screen snapshot in MacPaint format, if you are in
black-and-white and if your main screen isn't too large.

In System 7, Command-shift-3 takes a screen snapshot of your entire
desktop, regardless of color depth, size, or number of screens. It is
saved as a PICT file, which can be read and displayed by (among others)
TeachText. TeachText will also allow you to select rectangles from the
picture and copy them to the clipboard. (The funny sound you hear when you
take the snapshot is the sound of a camera's shutter. :-)

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."