[comp.sys.mac.apps] Contour and Surface PLots

cabruen@athena.mit.edu (Charles Alan Bruen) (05/11/91)

I am interested in plotting contour or surface plots from three columns
of data. The following is a list of what has been tried and the
successes of each.

	Kaleidagraph: doesn't do them
	CricketGraph: nope
	wingz: good, but I don't own it
	Excel 3: nope
	Matlab: complicated
	Mathematica: only square blocks. Complicated
	Contour 81: (on sumex) is buggy

I am still looking for other alternatives.

THanks

-Charles Bruen
 Aero/Astro MIT
 cabruen@athena.mit.edu

pdbourke@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Paul David Bourke) (05/11/91)

Two choices using software I have in the public domain as shareware.

1) If you have access to a 3D modelling package then you can get a utility
package called TRIANGULATE. It takes a text file of randomly distributed
samples of a surface (x y z per line) and creates a mesh representation
of the surface at a user specified resolution. This mesh can be exported
to a 3D modeller. It has been tested with StrataVision, Vision-3D, Super3D,
MicroStation. It will work with others that accept DXF or Super3D formats.

2) Vision-3D is a full featured 3D modelling package for the Mac II family
of computers. One of its capabilities includes contouring as well as
perspective views of the surface from any camera position. 2D projections
of a view can be saved in PICT for 2D CAD packages like MacDraw or ClarisCAD.

Both of these are available via FTP from
   ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (130.216.1.5)
they are located in the
   /mac/architec
directory

 |                                                                           |
 |   Paul D Bourke        pdbourke@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz         (130.216.1.5)   |
 |                                                                           |
 |   Work                                      Home                          |
 |   """"                                      """"                          |
 |   School of Architecture                    4/91 St Lukes Rd              |
 |   Auckland University                       Mt Albert                     |
 |   Private Bag                               Auckland                      |
 |   Auckland                                  New Zealand                   |
 |   New Zealand                                                             |
 |   Ph:  +64 9 737 999 x7367                  Ph: +64 9 815 0727            |
 |   Fax: +64 9 366 4665                                                     |
 |                                                                           |

djf26675@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Faulkner) (05/11/91)

cabruen@athena.mit.edu (Charles Alan Bruen) writes:

>I am interested in plotting contour or surface plots from three columns
>of data.

You might try a program called contour (is this the same one you mentioned
above?) written by NCSA. You can get it by anonymous ftp from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.
There's a file called README.FIRST that tells you what you need to know. I've
never used it, so I can't tell you if it'll work, but it might be worth a try.

 						- Dan
						  dan-f@uiuc.edu

macq@miguel.llnl.gov (Don MacQueen) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May11.043422.21518@athena.mit.edu>, cabruen@athena.mit.edu (Charles Alan Bruen) writes:

|> I am interested in plotting contour or surface plots from three columns
|> of data. The following is a list of what has been tried and the
|> successes of each.
|>
|> 	Kaleidagraph: doesn't do them
|> 	CricketGraph: nope
|> 	wingz: good, but I don't own it
|> 	Excel 3: nope
|> 	Matlab: complicated
|> 	Mathematica: only square blocks. Complicated
|> 	Contour 81: (on sumex) is buggy
|>
|> I am still looking for other alternatives.
|>
|> THanks
|>
|> -Charles Bruen
|>  Aero/Astro MIT
|>  cabruen@athena.mit.edu

Theorist
Systat
--
--------------------
Don MacQueen

daw@cbnewsh.att.com (David Wolverton) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May11.043422.21518@athena.mit.edu>, cabruen@athena.mit.edu (Charles Alan Bruen) writes:

> I am interested in plotting contour or surface plots from three columns
> of data.
> I am still looking for other alternatives.

Check out GDD (Grid Data Display) from bauer@cory.berkeley.edu .  It
supports generating contour plots.  Warning:  This is basically a UNIX
source code package.  You'll get C and FORTRAN sources (the FORTRAN
can be converted by the f2c from NETLIB), and you've got to compile
them yourself.  Supports PostScript, among other display options.
Note: this isn't a nice Mac program.