[comp.sys.mac.apps] Phone Mail for Mac?

idowell@bbn.com (Ian Dowell) (05/15/91)

Does there exist software (or a hardware/software combination)
which allows the Mac to act as a phone mail system?
(Which, for example, would allow the caller to navigate
a menu via touch tones to get information as well as recording
their messages.)

Ian Dowell
idowell@bbn.com

weiss@mott.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (05/16/91)

In article <64180@bbn.BBN.COM> idowell@vax.bbn.com (Ian Dowell) writes:
>Does there exist software (or a hardware/software combination)
>which allows the Mac to act as a phone mail system?
>(Which, for example, would allow the caller to navigate
>a menu via touch tones to get information as well as recording
>their messages.)

Funny you should ask...I just found out about this yesterday.  There is a
new product out from Dove Computer called the DoveFax Plus.  It's a 2400
baud data modem, a 9600 baud send/receive faxmodem, and an "answering
machine" of sorts.

In the "answering machine" arena, there is a 15 second window for giving
a menu if you so desire.  By pressing whatever number you assign to each
sub-message, it will play the sub-message.  In other words, if they press
2, they could get information on one thing, and if they press 3, they'd
get info on something else.  Yes, it will also record their message.  All
messages are stored on the local hard drive.  Cost from MacWarehouse is
about $350.

>idowell@bbn.com

I like that name...I do well...:)  (sorry, I'm sure you get that a lot)
--
-  Michael Weiss  weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu  |  School of Engineering and  -