[comp.sys.mac.apps] AccessPC on a Mac+

rcs8@po.CWRU.Edu (Robert C. Sprecher) (05/14/91)

Two questions:

1) Anyone recommend an external drive manufacturer/retailer to
   purchase a MS-DOS/Mac compatible floppy drive?

2) Assuming I have the above, will accessPC and SoftPC work
   on a Mac+?

Thanks.
--
Robert C. Sprecher, M.D.	       (E-Mail)  rcs8@po.cwru.edu
Department of Otolaryngology	       (Voice)   216-844-3001

insignia@netcom.COM (Dave Hull) (05/14/91)

rcs8@po.CWRU.Edu (Robert C. Sprecher) writes:

>Two questions:

>1) Anyone recommend an external drive manufacturer/retailer to
>   purchase a MS-DOS/Mac compatible floppy drive?

My *personal* preference is the Kennect Rapport drive.  It's been the
third-party superdrive to most consistantly keep working for me.

>2) Assuming I have the above, will accessPC and SoftPC work
>   on a Mac+?

Yes.

>Thanks.
>--
>Robert C. Sprecher, M.D.	       (E-Mail)  rcs8@po.cwru.edu
>Department of Otolaryngology	       (Voice)   216-844-3001
>Case Western Reserve University	       (FAX)     216-844-5727
>Cleveland, Ohio 44106 **These are MY opinions,MINE,MINE,MINE,...

=- Dave H.
BYW I do tech support for Insignia.
My voice number at work is (415) 694-7604

--

"Wait Nemo!  I've got it!  Back-up memories!  Redundant recollections.
That way we won't forget anything.    He-e-ey that's a great idea!

csrag@uoft02.utoledo.edu (05/18/91)

In article <1991May14.041355.12214@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>,
 rcs8@po.CWRU.Edu (Robert C. Sprecher) writes:

> Two questions:
>
> 1) Anyone recommend an external drive manufacturer/retailer to
>    purchase a MS-DOS/Mac compatible floppy drive?
>
> 2) Assuming I have the above, will accessPC and SoftPC work
>    on a Mac+?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Robert C. Sprecher, M.D.	       (E-Mail)  rcs8@po.cwru.edu
> Department of Otolaryngology	       (Voice)   216-844-3001
> Case Western Reserve University	       (FAX)     216-844-5727
> Cleveland, Ohio 44106 **These are MY opinions,MINE,MINE,MINE,...

Robert,

If you have a recent Macintosh, that has a 3 1/2" Superdrive (High Density),
you are able to use it for Access PC and SoftPC.  However, if you need to
use 5 1/4" floppy drives, you would need to purchase an external drive.

AccessPC allows you to format/write/read PC disks on a Macintosh (using a
high density "superdrive").  Mainly used for transferring files between
the IBM PC and the Macintosh formats.  YOu may also format PC disks on your
Mac drive.  For transferring files, similar formats on the PC such as:
Excel, Lotus will be opened on the Mac using a compatable program, like Excel
for the Mac.

SoftPC needs a minimum of 2 Megabytes of RAM, which gives you CGA/XT mode.
For the EGA/AT mode, you need 3 or more MEGS of RAM.  This program allows
you to RUN PC programs using a "hard disk" that SOftPC creates on your Mac
hard disk.  YOu may run any programs, however any graphic programs, such
as games, run sluggishly.  Contact a seller of SoftPC for more information
before purchasing.

Regards,
Rob

Rob Gasser                   *      CSRAG@UOFT02.UTOLEDO.EDU
     "Hey, save that broom, from the S W E E P of the A's"
             WORLD CHAMPION CINCINNATI REDS!!!