[comp.sys.mac.apps] MacX require A/UX?

morris@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Ted Morris) (05/19/91)

We're putting together some plans for introducing a Unix box in a lab we
work with, and mixing "traditional" workstations running DECwindows with
the existing '386 boxes already
there (yes, I know they'll be slow and small!) and Mac IIcis with large
monitors and 8Mb.  To do the X-stuff on the Macs, we'll be looking at
MacX and eXodus, I guess; my question is, do either/both of these -HAVE-
to be run under A/UX, or can we stay in Multifinder under MacOS and run
them as an application?  Would we -WANT- to run A/UX vs. MacOS, even if
we didn't have to?  Why or why not?  Can you tell I'm pretty new to the
Unix world? (-:

Thanks for any comments; e-mail will keep from cluttering the net until
I can summarize...     ...Ted

Theodore Allan Morris, U. Cincinnati, Med Ctr Info & Comm, Info Rsrch
& Dev, 231 Bethesda Av, ML#574, Cinti, OH  45267-0574, 513-558-6046V,
513-558-0758F, MORRISTA@UCMCIC.OA.UC.EDU / MORRIS@UCUNIX.SAN.UC.EDU,
NTS WB8VNV, AppleLink U1091 | Call me up and I'll talk data to ya!

mst@tsc.enet.dec.com (Mike Temkin) (05/19/91)

In article <1991May18.191013.12797@ucunix.san.uc.edu> morris@ucunix.san.uc.edu
(Ted Morris) writes:
>my question is, do either/both of these -HAVE-
>to be run under A/UX, or can we stay in Multifinder under MacOS and run
>them as an application?  Would we -WANT- to run A/UX vs. MacOS, even if
>we didn't have to?  Why or why not?  Can you tell I'm pretty new to the
>Unix world? (-:
>
>Theodore Allan Morris, U. Cincinnati, Med Ctr Info & Comm, Info Rsrch

No, A/UX is not needed for MacX use.

A/UX is a very nice implementation of AT&T System V and if you have a
mac and want UNIX, I highly recommend it.  But if you don't need it,
don't worry about it.  What is nice about having it is it adds a layer
of security to the machine (i.e. if you only want certain people to be
able to use the lab, they will need an accout to use the mac).  Of
course you will have to disable the guest account.

Mike.

These opinions are my own, no one else will take them...