[comp.sys.mac.apps] Generic Postscript output to disk

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (05/18/91)

I have a PostScript printer, but it's not hooked up to a Mac, nor is it
on capable of being hooked up to a Mac.

Is there a program, sort of like Freedom of the Press Spooler, that will
intercept "Laserwriter" output and send it to a specified folder somewhere
on the hard drive?

I am aware of the Command-K option, but it seems to me that there should
be another way.

Thanks,
MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
	- Celibacy is a curable condition -

mst@tsc.enet.dec.com (Mike Temkin) (05/19/91)

In article <1991May18.045344.8581@wam.umd.edu> mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D.
Callaghan) writes:
>Is there a program, sort of like Freedom of the Press Spooler, that will
>intercept "Laserwriter" output and send it to a specified folder somewhere
>on the hard drive?
>Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland

Kinda, if you can get it, try LaserFix.  You can drop it into your system
folder
and it adds two check boxes.  One that saves LaserWriter output to disk with
LaserPrep, the other without it.

Also I remember reading in an old (read: Oct 90) MacWeek about a button in the
Apple LaserPrep that can be "moved" on screen with Resedit and it does the same
thing (with LaserPrep I believe).

This works fine if you have a LaserWriter to send it to.  However I have yet
to get any other Postscript printer to print it.  Oh well...

Mike.

My opions are my own, no one else will take them...

carter@cat23.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May18.045344.8581@wam.umd.edu> mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes:
>I have a PostScript printer, but it's not hooked up to a Mac, nor is it
>on capable of being hooked up to a Mac.
>
>Is there a program, sort of like Freedom of the Press Spooler, that will
>intercept "Laserwriter" output and send it to a specified folder somewhere
>on the hard drive?
>
>I am aware of the Command-K option, but it seems to me that there should
>be another way.
>
>Thanks,
>MikeC
>
>--
>Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
>	- Celibacy is a curable condition -

There is a much better way in fact to intercept Postscript output.

Pick up a copy of the latest issue of Mac User, and turn to the section
entitled Laswriter Driver with the included wuick reference guide.

That section explains how to build a a postscript file out put option to
the Laser Writer driver.

--Enjoy Gregory