[comp.sys.mac.apps] Resedit documentation

thuyan@brahms.udel.edu (Thuy-An Hartman) (04/16/91)

Does anyone have or can anyone tell me where to get documentation on
Resedit?

Thanks,
Thuy-An
thuyan@brahms.udel.edu

xdpq8@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (04/16/91)

You can get it from BMUG. The address should be in Macuser or Macworld if
you look in some of the back issues....

Steve Fullewr

siegman@sierra.STANFORD.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (04/17/91)

>Does anyone have or can anyone tell me where to get documentation on
>Resedit?
>Thuy-An,  thuyan@brahms.udel.edu

Question keeps coming up all the time:

   1) Apple Computer, Inc., "ResEdit Reference" (Addison-Wesley, 1990,
$12.95).  At long last, an official reference to the resource-editing
program ResEdit, Apple's standard utility program for creating and
editing Macintosh resources such as menus, dialog boxes, and icons, in
it's ``finished'' version 2.0b2.  (See also the volume by Alley and
Strange listed further below.)

   2) Peter Alley and Carolyn Strange, "ResEdit Complete"
(Addison-Wesley, 1991, paperbound, $29.95).  The first detailed
introductory book on ResEdit, including 550 pages of text plus a
floppy disk containing ResEdit 2.1.  The first author was the project
leader and codesigner of ResEdit at Apple Computer.  Looks good.

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (04/17/91)

In article <20450@brahms.udel.edu> thuyan@brahms.udel.edu (Thuy-An Hartman) writes:
>Does anyone have or can anyone tell me where to get documentation on
>Resedit?
>
>Thanks,
>Thuy-An
>thuyan@brahms.udel.edu

ResEdit is a for sale product of Apple. YOu can get the documentation along
with the latest version of the software by buying it from APDA. I don't
think it is legal to distribute the documentation any other way, since it
is copyrighted.
--
Andrew C. Esh			andrew@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.

warden@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Warden) (04/19/91)

>Does anyone have or can anyone tell me where to get documentation on
>Resedit?
>Thuy-An,  thuyan@brahms.udel.edu

>>Question keeps coming up all the time:

>>   1) Apple Computer, Inc., "ResEdit Reference" (Addison-Wesley, 1990,
>>   2) Peter Alley and Carolyn Strange, "ResEdit Complete"

There is also a shareware documentation called ResEdit Primer.
I think you can get it at sumex-aim, but I'm not sure.
It's pretty good if you want to learn the basics of
ResEdit. If anyone wants the exact name/author they
can contact me via e-mail.

**  Robert Warden                         warden@grad1.cis.upenn.edu    **
**  University of Pennsylvania                  @gradient.cis.upenn.edu **
**                                                                      **
** "Even a broken clock tells the time correctly twice a day"           **
**                                            - Withnail & I            **

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mn.org (Jim Spencer) (04/19/91)

Andrew C. Esh writes in a message to All

ACE> ResEdit is a for sale product of Apple. YOu can get the documentation
ACE> along with the latest version of the software by buying it from
ACE> APDA. I don't think it is legal to distribute the documentation
ACE> any other way, since it is copyrighted.

Like MacsBug, ResEdit while copyrighted, is freely available.  You can get the documentation from APDA but other alternatives include buying the ResEdit Reference at your local book store or ResEdit Complete by Alley Strange (both published by Addison Wesley).  If you buy ResEdit Complete, it comes with a disk with ResEdit on it.  You may want the documentation but many, many of us learned how to use ResEdit by playing with it which I still think is the best way.  Just make sure you work on copies of your

files at least until you know what you are doing.

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (04/20/91)

And don't forget the ResEdit primer on Sumex -- added advantage of
not being commercial, and is online.
--
Ian Chai                     | "God loves you just  the way you are,  but
Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu  | He loves you too much to let you stay that

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/13/91)

In article <109@sierra.STANFORD.EDU> siegman@sierra.STANFORD.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) writes:

>   1) Apple Computer, Inc., "ResEdit Reference" (Addison-Wesley, 1990,
>$12.95).  At long last, an official reference to the resource-editing
>program ResEdit, Apple's standard utility program for creating and
>editing Macintosh resources such as menus, dialog boxes, and icons, in
>it's ``finished'' version 2.0b2.  (See also the volume by Alley and
>Strange listed further below.)

Note that the ResEdit Reference is now out for Version 2.1.  The price
has gone up to $29.95 (as seen at Barnes & Nobles locally).  You tell
_me_ why :-)

Oh, and it comes with ResEdit 2.1 on a disk as well.
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company     |                                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     |  Parachuting?  Why jump out of a  |

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.141724.12398@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
>In article <109@sierra.STANFORD.EDU> siegman@sierra.STANFORD.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) writes:
>>
>>   1) Apple Computer, Inc., "ResEdit Reference" (Addison-Wesley, 1990,
>>$12.95).  At long last, an official reference to the resource-editing
>>program ResEdit, Apple's standard utility program for creating and
>>editing Macintosh resources such as menus, dialog boxes, and icons, in
>>it's ``finished'' version 2.0b2.  (See also the volume by Alley and
>>Strange listed further below.)
>
>Note that the ResEdit Reference is now out for Version 2.1.  The price
>has gone up to $29.95 (as seen at Barnes & Nobles locally).  You tell
>_me_ why :-)
>
>Oh, and it comes with ResEdit 2.1 on a disk as well.
>--

Are you sure you're not talking about "Resedit Complete?" The Resedit 2.1
Reference (no disk) is going for $14.95 here in Seattle. I've seen it
both at Tower books and the local mall bookstores (BDalton, etc.).

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May13.203509.4199@MDI.COM> jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) writes:
>In article <1991May13.141724.12398@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:

>>Note that the ResEdit Reference is now out for Version 2.1.  The price
>>has gone up to $29.95 (as seen at Barnes & Nobles locally).  You tell
>>_me_ why :-)
>>
>>Oh, and it comes with ResEdit 2.1 on a disk as well.
>>--
>
>Are you sure you're not talking about "Resedit Complete?" The Resedit 2.1
>Reference (no disk) is going for $14.95 here in Seattle. I've seen it
>both at Tower books and the local mall bookstores (BDalton, etc.).

  The ResEdit 2.1 reference (without disk) has a note on the back that
says something like "this volume is also available in a version which
includes the ResEdit software".  I haven't seen it with the disk,
though.

  (It also says that there's information on where to get ResEdit in
the back of the volume, but for the life of me I couldn't find it
anywhere.  I'm not sure if people who don't already know that they can
get it through APDA etc. will be able to find it!)

	Anton (no connection to Apple, Addison-Wesley, etc.)

+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+----------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | rang@cs.wisc.edu | UW--Madison | "VMS Forever!" |
+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+----------------+

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May13.203509.4199@MDI.COM> jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) writes:
>In article <1991May13.141724.12398@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
>>In article <109@sierra.STANFORD.EDU> siegman@sierra.STANFORD.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) writes:
>>
>>Note that the ResEdit Reference is now out for Version 2.1.  The price
>>has gone up to $29.95 (as seen at Barnes & Nobles locally).  You tell
>>_me_ why :-)
>>
>>Oh, and it comes with ResEdit 2.1 on a disk as well.
>>--
>
>Are you sure you're not talking about "Resedit Complete?" The Resedit 2.1
>Reference (no disk) is going for $14.95 here in Seattle. I've seen it
>both at Tower books and the local mall bookstores (BDalton, etc.).

OK, another data point.  At my local B.Dalton the two books (Apple's
ResEdit Reference and Alley & Strange's ResEdit Complete) both come
with a ResEdit 2.1 disk and both cost the same, $29.95.

Apparently there is variation, either by dealer or by part of the
country, on whether Apple's ResEdit book comes with or without a disk.
Perhaps some dealers have both.  Perhaps they released it one way or
the other, then changed their minds.  The disk, when present, adds an
extra $15 to the cost.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --
|   When I was young, my family bought a color TV.  Our neigbors, who   |
| were poorer, had only a black-and-white set.  They bought a piece of  |
| cellophane, red on top, yellow in the middle, and blue on the bottom, |
| and taped it over their screen, so they could claim that they had a   |
| color TV, too.                                                        |
|   Now there's Windows 3.0.                                            |