[comp.sys.mac.apps] PostScript->Bitmap for StyleWriter?

grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) (05/14/91)

Is there some way to get high quality output from a program like FreeHand on a
non-postscript printer (specifically, we have a stylewriter)?  One thought that
has occured to me was to wonder if there was a program available that would
interpret PostScript output and produce a bitmap at a given resolution (360 dpi
for this case - even 300 would be welcome).  I can of course get high quality
normal text via TrueType and simple things like boxes look fine, but when I
start using things like rotated text it doesn't look good printed.  I know such
PostScript-interpreting programs are available for the Amiga (as shareware
even!) - I'd like to know if something comparable, even if it's commercial,
exists for the Mac.  Alternate solutions are welcome (i.e. am I missing
something obvious here?).

Thanks....

<*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*>
Steve Snodgrass == The Emerald Warrior == GRX1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu == Tigger
SUBTEC (Student Union Board Technical Services)  Thunder & Lighting
"Two hearts are better than one" -Yes   "Be excellent to each other" -B&T
What do you do if your HP catches on fire? ... SWAP, DROP, and ROLL!  :-)

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May14.091251.3538@uoft02.utoledo.edu>, grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) writes:
> Is there some way to get high quality output from a program like FreeHand on a
> non-postscript printer (specifically, we have a stylewriter)?  One thought that
> has occured to me was to wonder if there was a program available that would
> interpret PostScript output and produce a bitmap at a given resolution (360 dpi
> for this case - even 300 would be welcome).  I can of course get high quality
> normal text via TrueType and simple things like boxes look fine, but when I
> start using things like rotated text it doesn't look good printed.  I know such
> PostScript-interpreting programs are available for the Amiga (as shareware
> even!) - I'd like to know if something comparable, even if it's commercial,
> exists for the Mac.  Alternate solutions are welcome (i.e. am I missing
> something obvious here?).

Freedom of Press or Freedom of Press Light is what I think you might want.
It works with the StyleWriter quite well, and takes advantage of the full
360 dpi resolution of the printer.

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp         | CI$:       76354,1434                 |
| GENie:     G.AUSTIN3                | AOnline:   GAustin                    |