[comp.sys.mac.apps] Enhanced Find-File Application - Correction

dwsmith@loki.arc.NASA.GOV (David Smith) (05/21/91)

This post corrects my "Reply-To" e-mail address. Sorry for the error in
the previous post.

I looking for an application like the "find file" DA which can traverse
the mac directory structure and find files based on a given criteria.
The criteria given being for example:

     find all files from volumn X which have been modified/changed after date.

     find all file having the pattern "xxx" in their name.

     find all file with a creator as "xxx".

I would like it to return such things as file size, creation date, last
modification date, file type, etc.  And of course the path to the file found

I am looking for PD/Shareware but I will buy an application if it does
what I am
looking for.

Thank you,

David W. Smith
dwsmith@loki.arc.nasa.gov

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May21.155842.24862@riacs.edu> dwsmith@loki.arc.NASA.GOV (David Smith) writes:
>I looking for an application like the "find file" DA which can traverse
>the mac directory structure and find files based on a given criteria.

Doesn't the "Find..." menu option in the Finder do this for you already?

>The criteria given being for example:
>     find all files from volumn X which have been modified/changed after date.
>     find all file having the pattern "xxx" in their name.
>     find all file with a creator as "xxx".

You can get all this information by selecting "Find..." from the File
menu, clicking on "More Choices", and selecing your search criteria.

>I would like it to return such things as file size, creation date, last
>modification date, file type, etc.  And of course the path to the file found

Click on "all at once" in the Find dialog.  Then all the files which
match your criteria will be selected in a hierarchical list view based
in the root window of the volume on which you're searching.  Listed by
each file, as usual, will be its kind, date modified, size, and so
forth.

>I am looking for PD/Shareware but I will buy an application if it does
>what I am looking for.

No need!  It's build right into the System 7.0 Finder.  Ain't Macs great?  ;)

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"