[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS Word 4.0: How to switch off letterspacing?

1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) (05/17/91)

In article <SCHOETT.91May17200416@star.informatik.tu-muenchen.de>, schoett@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Oliver Schoett) writes:
> Letterspacing means to put extra space between the letters of words
> when a line is justified.  I find that typographically unacceptable,
> b e c a u s e   t h e   w o r d s   t e n d   t o   s t i c k   o u t
> and would like to switch it off in MS Word 4.0.  How?

I'd like to know how to turn this ON.  Does Word really do this?

Christopher Gunn	Molecular Graphics and Modeling Lab
SPAN--KUPHSX::GUNN	Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Malott Hall
913-864-4428 or -4495	University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS  66045

schoett@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Oliver Schoett) (05/18/91)

Letterspacing means to put extra space between the letters of words
when a line is justified.  I find that typographically unacceptable,
b e c a u s e   t h e   w o r d s   t e n d   t o   s t i c k   o u t
and would like to switch it off in MS Word 4.0.  How?

Oliver Schoett	     Institut f. Informatik, Technische Univ. M"unchen
		     Postfach 20 24 20,	   8000 M"unchen 2,    Germany
schoett@informatik.tu-muenchen.de    phone +49 89 2105-2390  fax -8207

oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.145012.30882@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) writes:
>In article <SCHOETT.91May17200416@star.informatik.tu-muenchen.de>, schoett@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Oliver Schoett) writes:
>> Letterspacing means to put extra space between the letters of words
>> when a line is justified.  I find that typographically unacceptable,
>> b e c a u s e   t h e   w o r d s   t e n d   t o   s t i c k   o u t
>> and would like to switch it off in MS Word 4.0.  How?
>
>I'd like to know how to turn this ON.  Does Word really do this?
>
>Christopher Gunn	Molecular Graphics and Modeling Lab
>SPAN--KUPHSX::GUNN	Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Malott Hall
>913-864-4428 or -4495	University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS  66045

Er, these thing are quite simple to do, taking only a mouse click (after the
appropriate paragraphs have been highlighted).  Of course, you'll have to
be using the ruler to make it this easy.  Oh, you say you don't know how to
use the ruler?  Too bad . . .

And now, since no one else has jumped up to say it:  RTFM!!!!

         ---------   Doc

**********************   Signature Block : Version 2.5  *********************
*                                     |   OK, one last time . . . This is   *
* "Was it love, or was it the idea    |   an egg . . . This is an egg in a  *
*  of being in love?" -- PF           |   frying pan . . . Any questions?   *
*    (BTW, which one *is* Pink?)      |                                     *
*                                     |   --->oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu<---     *
******************   Copyright (c) 1991 by Doc O'Leary   ********************

1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) (05/19/91)

In article <3945@ux.acs.umn.edu>, oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) writes:
> In article <1991May17.145012.30882@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) writes:
>>In article <SCHOETT.91May17200416@star.informatik.tu-muenchen.de>, schoett@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Oliver Schoett) writes:
>>> Letterspacing means to put extra space between the letters of words
>>> when a line is justified.  I find that typographically unacceptable,
>>> b e c a u s e   t h e   w o r d s   t e n d   t o   s t i c k   o u t
>>> and would like to switch it off in MS Word 4.0.  How?
>>
>>I'd like to know how to turn this ON.  Does Word really do this?

> Er, these thing are quite simple to do, taking only a mouse click (after the
> appropriate paragraphs have been highlighted).  Of course, you'll have to
> be using the ruler to make it this easy.  Oh, you say you don't know how to
> use the ruler?  Too bad . . .
>
> And now, since no one else has jumped up to say it:  RTFM!!!!

I was sort of hoping for advice from someone who knew what they were
talking about, not from a loudmouth cretin.  Do you know what letter-
spacing is?  I didn't think so.  It's what you get if you use the
'expand spacing' option in the character menu.  The original poster
apparently found that Word did this to him automatically when he
set a line to justified mode.  I suspect he has 'expand spacing'
somehow defined in a style, but his post suggests he doesn't.  I would
LIKE to have letterspacing be done automatically in some contexts,
especially narrow columns (newspaperlike) in which the absense of
letterspacing makes for some awfully big word-spacing.  If you know
where this is in the manual, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

What I don't appreciate is being accused of software piracy before
an audience of 30K or 40K people.  If you know what's good for you,
you won't do that anymore.  Understand?

> ******************   Copyright (c) 1991 by Doc O'Leary   ********************

    ^^^^
    Why is it that people on the net who are so in love with their
    drivel that they feel the need to copyright it are always
    totally full of shit?

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/19/91)

schoett@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Oliver Schoett) writes:

OS> Letterspacing means to put extra space between the letters of words
OS> when a line is justified.  I find that typographically unacceptable,
OS> b e c a u s e   t h e   w o r d s   t e n d   t o   s t i c k   o u t
OS> and would like to switch it off in MS Word 4.0.  How?

    I believe you are confusing two separate concepts.

    When a line is justified in Word, spaces are inserted *between words*
but not between the letters of words.  (At least this is true in the US version;
your mileage may vary.)

    Word supports "letterspacing" as a *character style*, similar to boldface or italics.  If you wish to turn it off, select the text in question, bring up the "character style" box (Cmd-D), and choose "normal" spacing.

    Note that Expanded Character Spacing can be a very effective form of text
emphasis;  it was the customary form of emphasis used in German texts earlier
this century (when they still used Gothic typefaces), but it isn't used much
today.  Pity.

 * Origin: mingo@well.sf.ca.us  mingo@cup.portal.com (1:109/421.4218)

oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May18.130823.30894@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) writes:

[obvious stuff deleted]

>I was sort of hoping for advice from someone who knew what they were
>talking about, not from a loudmouth cretin.  Do you know what letter-
>spacing is?  I didn't think so.  It's what you get if you use the
>'expand spacing' option in the character menu.  The original poster
>apparently found that Word did this to him automatically when he
>set a line to justified mode.  I suspect he has 'expand spacing'
>somehow defined in a style, but his post suggests he doesn't.  I would
>LIKE to have letterspacing be done automatically in some contexts,
>especially narrow columns (newspaperlike) in which the absense of
>letterspacing makes for some awfully big word-spacing.  If you know
>where this is in the manual, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Right, Word doesn't do this.  Like another poster has stated, these
are two completely different concepts.  Since the original poster mentioned
justification, I thought it a reasonable assumption that it was really
the spacing between words that was being referred to.  Expanded spacing is
in effect whether justification is on or not, making mention of justification
unnecessary.  Had justification not been mentioned, the assumption would be
that expanded spacing is in effect.

Oh, and thank you for calling me a loudmouth cretin.  That was so necessary.

>What I don't appreciate is being accused of software piracy before
>an audience of 30K or 40K people.

Did I?  Where?

>If you know what's good for you,
>you won't do that anymore.  Understand?

And WHAT, pray tell, is this?  Perhaps this threat is better suited for email.
Please take it there.  I would be amused to know what you think is "good for
me."

>> ******************   Copyright (c) 1991 by Doc O'Leary   ********************
>
>    ^^^^
>    Why is it that people on the net who are so in love with their
>    drivel that they feel the need to copyright it are always
>    totally full of shit?

<Sigh>  It is a disclaimer.  It lets people know that I speak only for myself
and that I am not a parrot of other men's thinking.

kansy@gmdzi.gmd.de (Klaus Kansy) (05/21/91)

In article <SCHOETT.91May17200416@star.informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
schoett@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Oliver Schoett) writes:
> Letterspacing means to put extra space between the letters of words
> when a line is justified.  I find that typographically unacceptable,
> b e c a u s e   t h e   w o r d s   t e n d   t o   s t i c k   o u t
> and would like to switch it off in MS Word 4.0.  How?

The problem can be solved (or at least reduced ?) by the famous
"Fractional Widths" switch in the Page Layout.

Other answers to this question mention the character expansion entry in
the character format. This option applies to all selected characters or to a full paragraph.

The above problem is that a single line in a paragraph (always or
sometimes or by chance?) automatically introduces character expansion if
the interword spacing becomes too big.

The problem may occur more frequently in foreign languages where the
Word hyphenation doesn't work too well. For example, words with a German
Umlaut seem to be a problem for the German version of Word. Therefore,
there are many words in German where Word doesn't find a single
hyphenation. Word  doesn't offer such words to the user when doing
interactive hyphenation.  This is a very big bug in my opinion. So there
are often situations with lot of white space in a single line which lead
to the problem with automatic letterspacing.

Regards  Klaus Kansy,      kansy@gmdzi.gmd.de
German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)
St. Augustin, Germany

schoett@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Oliver Schoett) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May18.130823.30894@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>
1k1mgm@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Christopher Gunn) writes:

 > [Letterspacing is] what you get if you use the 'expand spacing'
 > option in the character menu.  The original poster apparently found
 > that Word did this to him automatically when he set a line to
 > justified mode.  I suspect he has 'expand spacing' somehow defined
 > in a style, but his post suggests he doesn't.  I would LIKE to have
 > letterspacing be done automatically in some contexts, especially
 > narrow columns (newspaperlike) in which the absense of
 > letterspacing makes for some awfully big word-spacing.

But MS Word does just that, it's just hardly noticeable.  Try making a
paragraph in which each line starts with the same longish word, but in
which the lines have different inter-word spacing when justified
(e. g., copy the long word fifty times and intersperse short words here
and there).  If you print this paragraph on a LaserWriter, you will
find that the identical words at the left margin are differently long!

I would like to switch this off, because sometimes words look
e m p h a s i z e d  in running text (the effect is not very
noticeable, but I notice it).  I haven't found anything in the manual
about this.

[BTW, I'm using the German version of MS Word 4.0]