[comp.sys.mac.apps] Claris and 7.0 'friendly' apps?

dsaltarelli@cmcvx1.claremont.edu (saltarelli, donald joseph jr.) (05/14/91)

I heard a rumor on a local Mac BBS that Claris has some super-apps up its
sleeve.  Does anybody have any additional information?

Since Apple owns a major portion of Claris, will this fact show up in terms of
7.0 'friendly' applications?  Wouldn't it be nice to have MacWrite 7.0, MacDraw
7.0 etc.. which can publish and subscribe?  (and maybe a spreadsheet too that
combined with the hypothetical new versions of write and draw would tear down
MS Word and Excel...!)

Please Claris, create an entire line of 7.0 apps that will take back some of
the market from Billy Boy Gates...

D.J.

{All of the above is based on a rumor, and I am simply looking for confirmation
and voicing a hope...}

ddl683@sarah.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) (05/14/91)

From dsaltarelli@cmcvx1.claremont.edu come these immortal words:
>I heard a rumor on a local Mac BBS that Claris has some super-apps up its
>sleeve.  Does anybody have any additional information?

>Since Apple owns a major portion of Claris, will this fact show up in
>terms of 7.0 'friendly' applications?  Wouldn't it be nice to have
>MacWrite 7.0, MacDraw 7.0 etc.. which can publish and subscribe?
>(and maybe a spreadsheet too that combined with the hypothetical new
>versions of write and draw would tear down MS Word and Excel...!)

	Well, rest assured, your rumours are founded.  I was just at
the Apple Open House here in Albany, and the Claris apps are on their
way:  MacWrite Pro, MacDraw Pro, and the new spreadsheet program based
on Wingz technology (I forget what they're calling it, something that
starts with an "R" -- "Resolve," perhaps).  MacDraw Pro (beta), from
the few minutes I spent playing with it, looks NICE.  And of course
they all do Publish and Subscribe.

>Please Claris, create an entire line of 7.0 apps that will take back some of
>the market from Billy Boy Gates...

	They are, but wait to see what Windows 3.1 looks like too.
Remember, things like TrueType, developed with Micro$oft, go both
ways.  It'll be in their next version.  And I suspect IAC over
networks (THE biggest selling point of System 7) won't be too far
behind.  The battle ain't over.

	Also, I don't "root" for Claris over MS.  As long as new and
better applications keep coming out, I'm happy.  And Claris, buying
companies left and right, is almost as big a behemoth as Gates' monster.

>D.J.

						Derek L.
						-- trying to ftp into
						   ftp.apple.com for
						   the better part of
						   two hours now.
--
+ + "When nothing else remains, one must scream.  Silence is the ultimate  + +
+        crime against humanity." -- Nadezhda Mandelstam		     +

cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill) (05/14/91)

A press release that covers the Claris products can be found in
comp.sys.mac.hypercard.  I think that Claris is going to give Mr. Gates
and his $129 upgrades a run for his money.

--

lester@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jim Lester) (05/14/91)

dsaltarelli@cmcvx1.claremont.edu (saltarelli, donald joseph jr.) writes:

>I heard a rumor on a local Mac BBS that Claris has some super-apps up its
>sleeve.  Does anybody have any additional information?

>Since Apple owns a major portion of Claris, will this fact show up in terms of
>7.0 'friendly' applications?  Wouldn't it be nice to have MacWrite 7.0, MacDraw
>7.0 etc.. which can publish and subscribe?  (and maybe a spreadsheet too that
>combined with the hypothetical new versions of write and draw would tear down
>MS Word and Excel...!)
>{All of the above is based on a rumor, and I am simply looking for confirmation
>and voicing a hope...}
Well here I am always the spoilsport and introducing facts into things :-)
from Dow Jones here is what claris has to say

05/13 CLARIS IS FIRST WITH THE MOST APPLICATIONS DELIVERING THE POWER OF
      SYSTEM 7; ENTIRE FAMILY WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF NEW SYSTEM SOFTWARE

  SANTA CLARA, Calif., May 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Claris Corp. today became the
developer with the broadest family  of software applications for the new
Macintosh operating system from Apple Computer Inc.
  Claris announced four new and revised products that take full advantage of
System 7.  The company's family of Macintosh products -- the most complete
product family in the industry -- is compatible with System 7 today, and is
being revised to exploit System 7 powers.
  The flagship of the Claris System 7 family is Claris Resolve, the Macintosh
spreadsheet for visible results and the first Macintosh application designed
from the ground up for System 7.  Claris also introduced MacWrite Pro, the
Macintosh word processor for creating documents with impact.  MacProject II
version 2.5 and HyperCard 2.1 are System 7 revisions of two best-selling
Claris products.  Redefining How Applications Work Together
  With its broad and well-integrated family of Macintosh products, combined
with the power of System 7, Claris is pioneering new ways for applications to
work together.  These new capabilities will allow individuals and workgroups
to work together more productively than ever before.
  These new capabilities include sophisticated links that Claris has developed
between its products that go beyond standard Apple events. This means that two
different applications will work together seamlessly so that the user can
blend them together to create a new "hybrid" solution, with features and
benefits tailored to the job at hand.
  "Workgroup publishing," enabled by System 7 Publish & Subscribe, represents
another example of Claris System 7 products letting people work together in
new ways.  Groups of users can now easily share data and assemble a
multi-authored document across a network.   Claris is delivering the benefits
of workgroup publishing with its first wave of System 7-savvy products.
  "Macintosh and powerful new System 7 features have allowed Claris to add
dramatic new powers to its product family, changing the way applications work
together," said Yogen Dalal, Claris chief technology officer and vice
president of advanced development.  "For the user, this means the power to
blend and create virtually new product solutions, and a more effective way to
share work with others.  We believe the Claris System 7 family best
illustrates the continuing superiority of the Macintosh platform in ease of
use and innovative new computing metaphors."
  With consistent key features -- such as help, spell checking, and color
palette selection -- across its product line, Claris offers users a tight
family interaction unmatched by any other vendor.  In addition, cross-platform
links in Claris applications will allow users to extend workgroup publishing
beyond a network of Macintosh-based Claris applications.  By melding Publish &
Subscribe with XTND file translation, workgroup publishing can include work
created on non-Macintosh platforms.
  Claris Corp. is a leading worldwide vendor of Macintosh software. Claris is
a subsidiary of Apple Computer Inc., and has headquarters in Santa Clara.
 /CONTACT:  Steve Ruddock, 408-987-7202; or Renee Risch, 408-987-7534; or
Ines Anderson, 408-987-7154, all of Claris/
08:00 EDT

Disclaimer: I put my foot in my mouth only and have no connection with anybody.
Jim Lester                         Internet: jlester@ucs.indiana.edu
  Financial Management Support -  Indiana University

alanc@tsunami.Berkeley.EDU (Alan Coopersmith) (05/15/91)

Just got off the phone with Claris.  MacWrite Pro will not be shipping
until Fall 1991.  Upgrade details will be announced then.

* Alan Coopersmith                * One ring to rule them all,     *
* alanc@ocf.berkeley.edu          *  One ring to find them,        *
* c60a-au@congo.berkeley.edu      * One ring to bring them all     *
*                                 *  And in the darkness bind them *
* Unit 3 - 207 Spens-Black Hall   * In the land of Mordor          *
* 2400 Durant, Berkeley, CA 94720 *  Where the shadows lie.        *

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.151326.3835@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> lester@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jim Lester) writes:
#>dsaltarelli@cmcvx1.claremont.edu (saltarelli, donald joseph jr.) writes:
#>
#>>I heard a rumor on a local Mac BBS that Claris has some super-apps up its
#>>sleeve.  Does anybody have any additional information?
#>
#>>Since Apple owns a major portion of Claris, will this fact show up in terms of
#>>7.0 'friendly' applications?  Wouldn't it be nice to have MacWrite 7.0, MacDraw
#>>7.0 etc.. which can publish and subscribe?  (and maybe a spreadsheet too that
#>>combined with the hypothetical new versions of write and draw would tear down
#>>MS Word and Excel...!)

I went to a System 7 demo today conducted by an Apple engineer.
He demonstrated publishing and subscribing between Claris
Resolve, the new spreadsheet, and MacWrite II+. I don't think
either have yet been released. He generated a graph in the
spreadsheet and published it. He subscribed to the graph in
MacWrite II+. Then with both windows showing on the screen,
he changed the numbers in Resolve. Nothing happened until he
saved the file at which point the graph in MacWrite II+
adjusted.

Having seen that demo and gone through the HyperCard demo of
System 7, I have two opinions. One is that System 7 does offer
some nifty new features, though it also eliminates some old
ones I liked (such as cycling through applications by clicking
the icon in the upper right; 7 uses that icon for a pull-down
menu). The other is that there are still a lot of problems to
resolve before I will upgrade. For example, a clean version of
MacTCP won't be available until June or July (you need it for
NCSA Telnet among other applications). At the moment, AUFS
doesn't work properly. Apparently, if you try to trash a file,
it crashes. Second, some people are now offering updates
(Suitcase, DPI/PLI, Microsoft). Others, such as Symantec,
tell me they will be announcing an update in a few weeks,
even though Apple's Compatibility Checker says that version
2.1 is available. (Symantec blamed the delay on Apple changing
7, even though the "golden" version has been out for two weeks.)

Then there is my database program, McMax, with unknown
compatibility. Finally, though I ordered the upgrade package
today (our academic price is $95; $4 less than list), it will
be five or six weeks before it is expected to arrive. (I prefer
not to upgrade without a set of manuals around.) Given all the
local support I have in a campus environment, I'd be even more
cautious if I were somewhere else. System 7 is a radical change.

Steve Goldfield

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (05/16/91)

lester@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jim Lester) writes:

>from the ground up for System 7.  Claris also introduced MacWrite Pro, the
>Macintosh word processor for creating documents with impact.

Did it really come out?  Last I heard, it was going to take a while!

I'll be at the WWDC tomorrow, and will find out for sure.

--
--  Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please!  --
Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709

norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (05/17/91)

From article <24797@well.sf.ca.us>, by nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport):
> lester@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jim Lester) writes:
>
>>from the ground up for System 7.  Claris also introduced MacWrite Pro, the
>>Macintosh word processor for creating documents with impact.
>
> Did it really come out?  Last I heard, it was going to take a while!
>
> I'll be at the WWDC tomorrow, and will find out for sure.

Avi,

Can we count on End Note and MacWrite Pro talking to each other via IAC?
--
Norman Graham

<norman@a.cs.okstate.edu>                 Standard Disclaimer Applies
{cbosgd,rutgers}!okstate!norman

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (05/22/91)

norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) writes:

>Avi,

>Can we count on End Note and MacWrite Pro talking to each other via IAC?
>--
>Norman Graham

EndNote 1.4 and EndNote Plus 1.1 will support XTND (aka the Translation
Manager).  This will allow us to format papers written in MacWrite II and any
other word processor that uses XTND.

We expect to ship these versions in July for $5.  We will send notices, so
please, don't send mail!

The Edition Manager starts getting slow when you have many subscribed passages,
so we don't expect to use IAC in that way.  Obviously, it would be great to have
bibliographies created on the fly, in your paper, but that's a ways off.

Avi

p.s.  MacWrite Pro is not out yet.