[comp.sys.mac.apps] System 7 and Compactor Pro self-extracting files

jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue) (05/21/91)

Has any one encounter problems with Compactor Pro self extracting files under
System 7?

I used to have problems under 6.0.7, but I ignored them.  Now, under System 7.0,
I find that I get an alert "application wants 0K of memory.  0K available. Do
you wish to open application with available memory"?

If I click OK (or Yes, whaterver), I get an error that the application quit
because of lack of memory. If I try to edit the Get Info application size, it
first of all takes about 3 minutes for the Get Info to appear, and then it will
not let me save the changes (not enough memory, please close applications and
windows).

Any ideas?  I am using a Mac IIci with no extensions other then the Systems
, CD-ROM 3.1, and MacTCP.

THank you,

Jason

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (05/22/91)

In article <jblue.674831650@mwunix.mitre.org> jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue) writes:

>Has any one encounter problems with Compactor Pro self extracting files under
>System 7?
>
>I used to have problems under 6.0.7, but I ignored them.  Now, under System 7.0,
>I find that I get an alert "application wants 0K of memory.  0K available. Do
>you wish to open application with available memory"?

At BMUG, we've found that about half of Compactor self-extracting archive
files will barf under System 7.  There are rumors that Compactor is being
worked on to alleviate these problems, but I can't give you an ETA on a
new version.

Incidentally, the same phenomenon occurs with Diamond self-extracting
archives (though we haven't tried enough of them to come up with a
statistically-significant incidence measure).

John Heckendorn
--
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (05/22/91)

In article <1991May22.065901.701@agate.berkeley.edu>, bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes...
>In article <jblue.674831650@mwunix.mitre.org> jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue) writes:
>>
>>Has any one encounter problems with Compactor Pro self extracting files under
>>System 7?

>At BMUG, we've found that about half of Compactor self-extracting archive
>files will barf under System 7.  There are rumors that Compactor is being
>worked on to alleviate these problems, but I can't give you an ETA on a
>new version.

Bill Goodman just released a freeware extractor for "self-extracting"
archives called DeSEA.  It was posted to comp.binaries.mac and can be
found on sumex-aim.stanford.edu edu in /info-mac/util.  It is also possible
to extract files from the '.sea' archives using Compact Pro itself.

I haven't noticed any problems under 7.0 with self-extracting archives
created with Compact Pro, so it's possible that the problem is already
fixed.  Parenthetically, the ".sea" archives are great for sending things
to people who can't figure out ".cpt", but for archival sites its really
just 7K of unnecessary bandwidth.

Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/22/91)

In article <jblue.674831650@mwunix.mitre.org> jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue) writes:

>Has any one encounter problems with Compactor Pro self extracting files under
>System 7?
> [memory problems described]
>Jason

If all else fails, you can just use Compact Pro to extract the files
from the archive--the program will still recognize the SEA file as one
of it's own.  You can either extract the contents and toss the SEA, or
do a 'Save As...' and save without the auto-extraction code.

I've never found a reason to put things in SEA form, what with Compact
Pro and/or Extractor readily available.

--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |