[comp.sys.mac.apps] Silverlining

eoshough@nmsu.edu (Azel The Destroyer) (12/15/90)

Silverlining is indeed distributed by LaCie and is in fact a hard disk management application. It allows you to format and partition practically any hard drive available on the market.  It also allows you to other hard drive management tasks such as file de-fragmentation and customization of the read/write cycles used by your hard drive.  It is small, easy to use, and does a great job.  I use it to format and partition all drives I take care of at work, and have totally forsaken Apple HD Setup.

Just my $.02's

		  ~			| Erik O'Shaughnessy
|\/\/\/|  	   ~			| Small Systems
C      _) 		    ===		|------------------------------------
|  ,___|  		    ===		|"Do not follow the NULL pointer,
|    /    				| for that path leads to chaos,
/____\    	Die Bart! Die!		| and madness." - me
|     \   				|

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (12/18/90)

In article <ALAND.90Dec16001547@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) writes:
>Well, SilverPlatter sounds to me like an update to SilverServer, which
>is LaCie's version of a file server to be used in conjunction with
>SilverLining, their (top of the line) Formatting/Partitioning software
>for hard drives.

Actually, Silverplatter's only similarity to Silverserver is that it allows
network sharing. Silverplatter allows network sharing of serial devices like
imagewriters, modems, etc. hanging off a specific mac (ie. not off the network
directly like a laserwriter is usually configured.

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

zinder2500@engin.umich.edu (Michael Robert Attan) (05/23/91)

Does Anyone know how to 'de-install' Silverlining? (LaCie)
Some fool installed it on my hard drive, and now I can't get
rid of it.  I tried re-formatting my hard drive (with Apple's installer
on system7) and the I get an error that the hard drive won't mount.
If, however, I re-run Silverlining, the hard drive mounts with
no problem.  I tried calling the tech support at LaCie, but have
never been able to talk to anything other than the answering machine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Michael Attan

Please send replys to
   zinder2500@aal.itd.umich.edu