[comp.sys.mac.apps] System 7 compatibility

rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) (05/23/91)

I finally got up the guts to install System 7.0 today.  I was afraid I
wouldn't be able to run any of my applications, since the
Compatibility Checker stack said "Must Upgrade" or "Not Available" for
most of them.

My conclusion is:  don't be afraid!  I've had no compatibility
problems, even with several shareware games (which are normally not
the "cleanest" applications).

In particular, the following appear to be fine:

Kermit 0.98  (which I'm using right now)
Stuffit 1.5.1
SuperClock! 2.9 (except that it obscures the baloon help menu)
Glider 3.1.2
Glypha II 1.0
Pararena 1.2.1
Stella Obscura 1.0
all my homemade QuickBASIC and Think C applications
(though I didn't try QuickBASIC or Think C itself)
FileList 1.4
Edit II 1.2.1
Expressionist 2.07
CursorAnimator 1.0
Fish! 2.0a
Calculator+

I can't guarantee that I gave all these applications, cdevs, and DAs a
good workout, but they at least seem to work ok.

I haven't tried some of the other applications which supposedly won't
work, in cases like: SUM II, QuickBASIC, Think C.  For these I figured
it would be safer to wait for the upgrade (when it becomes available!)
instead.

-Ralph
(rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu)

FLEGLEI@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (05/23/91)

Here's some additional news:

Disk Express should be upgraded to 2.07 before using. Available for
$14 from ALSoft within a few weeks.

DiskFit does NOT have 2.7 ready for release as per the Compatibility Stack.
The current release (2.4?) is fine for those without tape drives.

Stuffit 1.6 (Classic) is fine. Stuffit Deluxe should be updated to 3.0
according to Aladdin.

SAM & SUM MUST be upgraded to 3.0 (that's the version number they gave
me over the phone; I've seen 2.1 & 2.5 elsewhere on the net).

QuarkXpress 3.0.3 works fine. 3.1 will be released in the fall.

After Dark 2.0u will be out in a few weeks. 2.0t is "95% compatible"
according to Berkeley Systems tech support.

Glenn Fleishman, Yale University Printing Service

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (05/24/91)

In article <May.22.15.10.50.1991.7948@elbereth.rutgers.edu> rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) writes:

>I haven't tried some of the other applications which supposedly won't
>work, in cases like: SUM II, QuickBASIC, Think C.  For these I figured
>it would be safer to wait for the upgrade (when it becomes available!)
>instead.

Microsoft has acknowledged a problem in both the QuickBASIC compiler and some
programs that have been compiled with it.  MS is "looking into" the problem.
They are unaware of any problems with the interpreter.

I sure hope QB gets an upgrade for 7.0-compatibility.  I wonder if ZBASIC has
any known problems.