[comp.sys.mac.apps] Compactor format? Help needed.

rsm@math.arizona.edu (Robert S. Maier) (05/21/91)

What is Compactor format?  Does anyone have a formal specification for it?

I ask because there are a lot of compactified Type 1 fonts on
mac.archive.umich.edu (in the /mac/system.extensions/font/type.one.fonts
directory).  They look interesting.

I'm on a Unix machine, and would prefer to uncompactify them without
moving them to a Mac.  If I know the format, I can write my own
uncompaction program.

--
Robert S. Maier   | Internet: rsm@math.arizona.edu, rsm@cs.arizona.edu
Dept. of Math.    | UUCP: uunet!arizona!amethyst!rsm

dplatt@ntg.com (Dave Platt) (05/22/91)

In article <RSM.91May20190107@coral.math.arizona.edu> rsm@math.arizona.edu (Robert S. Maier) writes:

>What is Compactor format?  Does anyone have a formal specification for it?

It's one of the newer archive formats used on the Macintosh... sort of
like "tar" and "compress" all rolled into one.

Unfortunately, the author has declined to document the format.  Unlike
the older (and somewhat-less-efficient) StuffIt format, there's no
clean way to write a Compactor decompressor for Unix, MS-DOS, or any
other system.  This isn't to say that it can't be done... I'm sure it
can... but to date I haven't heard of anyone who has succeeded.

For this reason, many network archives insist that archived files be
stored in StuffIt format, rather than in Compactor or StuffIt Deluxe or
DiskDoubler format.

--
Dave Platt                                                VOICE: (415) 813-8917
              Domain: dplatt@ntg.com      UUCP: ...apple!ntg!dplatt

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (05/24/91)

rsm@math.arizona.edu (Robert S. Maier) writes:

>What is Compactor format?  Does anyone have a formal specification for it?

>I'm on a Unix machine, and would prefer to uncompactify them without
>moving them to a Mac.  If I know the format, I can write my own
>uncompaction program.

Robert,

   I don't know why you want to uncompress them on the unix box, they can't
be used there and the download (usually takes longer than uncompressing)
will take longer.  And then there is the problem of possibly loosing a
piece of the archive (or at least having a lot of ReadMe files and not
knowing what it goes with and the problem of overwriting files of the same
name).

   I refrain from unarchiving my files until I get them to the Mac.  I do
un-BinHex files on my unix box tho...

     /    Patrick Hoepfner       |    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    \
    / America Online: PatrickH9  | Internet: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov \