[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS Word 4.0: How to change the default font

drinkard@bcstec.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard) (05/28/91)

My Mom is writing a book on her Mac (honest!) and she would like to change
the default font (New York, I think) to something else.  I know that with
different style sheets you can do whatever you want, but she is not
particularly sophisticated (and she lives a thousand miles away, so the
phone bills could get hefty) with computers.  She just wants it to open up
in a font she prefers (Monaco believe it or not).

So.  The question is:  How does one change the default font in Word 4.0?

The documentation is typical Microsoft and so far as I can tell, if it can
be done at all, it isn't documented.  Is there anyone on the net who can
help?  Email would be appreciated.

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.boeing.com

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (05/28/91)

drinkard@bcstec.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard) writes:

>So.  The question is:  How does one change the default font in Word 4.0?

A relatively simple introduction to Styles for your mom:

Go into "Define Styles..." in the "Format" menu. Scroll down to
"Normal".  Select the font from the "Font" which you desire to be the
default font.  Now click the "Set Default" button. Close the "Define
Styles..." box.

You've done it!

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

I wrote:

>Go into "Define Styles..." in the "Format" menu. Scroll down to
>"Normal".  Select the font from the "Font" which you desire to be the
>default font.  Now click the "Set Default" button. Close the "Define
>Styles..." box.

I should have mentioned: When you click "Set Default", you will get a
box asking "Record in default style sheet?" Click OK, and then you're
done.

pr
--

blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (05/28/91)

In article <878@bcstec.boeing.com> drinkard@bcstec.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard) writes:
|So.  The question is:  How does one change the default font in Word 4.0?
|The documentation is typical Microsoft and so far as I can tell, if it can
|be done at all, it isn't documented.  Is there anyone on the net who can
|help?  Email would be appreciated.

Let's see.  Turn to the index, look under Defaults.  The first entry is
pages 41-46, turn there.  On page 41, we find:

NOTE	The default character and paragraph formats are defined in the
	Normal paragraph style. [...] With the Define Styles command,
	you can change the Normal style settings to the character and
	paragraph formats (font, font size, indents, and so on) that you
	prefer. [...]

And much more info on how to do the above.

I know it's fun to bash Microsoft, but you can easily change the default
style, and it seems pretty well documented.  It took me maybe 10 seconds
to find it, 8 or so of which were flipping pages.
--
Brian L. Matthews	blm@6sceng.UUCP

JXY2@psuvm.psu.edu (Jie Yuan) (05/28/91)

In article <631@6sceng.UUCP>, blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) says:

>I know it's fun to bash Microsoft, but you can easily change the default
>style, and it seems pretty well documented.  It took me maybe 10 seconds
>to find it, 8 or so of which were flipping pages.
I took me 2 days to figure out what the manual meant a few months back.
The Manual I am referring to is the Word Companion book.
Here is what I would do to change the "default" font (type-face and size
 and so on).
1. Select DEFINE STYLE in the FORMAT menu.
2. Click the Normal in the style list (highlight it).
3. Select the font and size from FONT menu.
4. Click DEFINE  botton to validate the new choice.
5. Click SET DEFAUT to record the new setting into the  "memory" of the
   Word Settings.
6. Optionally, you may change the line spacing, etc. when you are in the
   DEFINE STYLE conversation box.

There you are!     Have fun!