[comp.sys.mac.apps] Game: "Tempest" available on Mac?

rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) (05/23/91)

I've recently got hooked on Mac arcade games.  Does anyone remember
the early 80's arcade game "Tempest"?  I'm trying to see whether there
is a Mac version, perhaps under a different name.

In case you don't remember, "Tempest" involved a kind of "tube" with
bad things sliding out of it.  The player has to scoot around the rim
of the tube, firing down at the bad things before they reach the rim.
If they reach the rim then you have to run away from them or press
"SuperZap" (?).  It had real good sound and color and was quite novel
and challenging.

-Ralph
(rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu)

ted@hpkslx.mayfield.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (05/24/91)

>I've recently got hooked on Mac arcade games.  Does anyone remember
>the early 80's arcade game "Tempest"?  I'm trying to see whether there
>is a Mac version, perhaps under a different name.

I wish.  I haven't been able to find it.

The best (free) action game I've been able to find is Defender, which
is *just like* the arcade version.  I think it's available at sumex.

-Ted

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (05/26/91)

In article <17650001@hpkslx.mayfield.HP.COM> ted@hpkslx.mayfield.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

>>I've recently got hooked on Mac arcade games.  Does anyone remember
>>the early 80's arcade game "Tempest"?  I'm trying to see whether there
>>is a Mac version, perhaps under a different name.
>
>I wish.  I haven't been able to find it.

Sounds like (if memory serves) Grid Wars.  You might see if Educorp has it.  For
some reason I remember it being commercial though.

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (05/29/91)

>>>I've recently got hooked on Mac arcade games.  Does anyone remember
>>>the early 80's arcade game "Tempest"?
>Sounds like (if memory serves) Grid Wars.

Nope.  Two different animals, though somebody who liked one would probably
like the other, as the basic idea is similar.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner