[comp.sys.mac.apps] Graphics in Word 4.0

jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) (05/29/91)

Why is it that MS Word cannot handle fractional-point line widths?

One example of this problem is trying to paste Claris CAD 2.0 drawings
into Word and having the lines turn out a lot thicker or thinner than desired
(and than appeared in output directly from Claris CAD). This was output to
a LaserWriter II of some sort.

Also, why can't Word position objects accurately within imported PICTS? After
snapping a line to the edge of a rectangle in Claris CAD, I find that Word
continues the line into the rectangle when the drawing is pasted into it.

Why can't Word get these things straight, or have they in some more recent
bug fix? What word processors handle these things better?

Jess Holle

robertw@informix.com (Robert Weinberg) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.172832.21284@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) writes:
>Why is it that MS Word cannot handle fractional-point line widths?
>
>One example of this problem is trying to paste Claris CAD 2.0 drawings
>
>Also, why can't Word position objects accurately within imported PICTS?
>
>Why can't Word get these things straight, or have they in some more recent
>bug fix? What word processors handle these things better?

I share your sentiments. I always had a great deal of frustration
pasting PICTs saved from MacDraw into WORD. Curved lines always
printed out a bit more jagged after pasting them into WORD, and
lines often lined up different in WORD than they did in the original
PICT, and printed out even a bit different than that.

This is why many people have switched to FrameMaker, which has an
excellent built-in graphics environment. EPS graphics, such as
those from Freehand and Illustrator, WILL print out perfectly when
included in a WORD document (usually). PICTs are part of the world
of fast screen-drawing implemented on the Mac, but they are truly
a cludge in every other aspect, IMHO.

--
* Rob Weinberg, graphics & publishing ***** Does a falling tree make a sound *
*  {uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      *****   if  1: no one hears it         *

netnews@leadsv.UUCP (Leads Network News) (05/30/91)

The reason that this is occurring is that pictures created in other
packages are created at 300 dpi, when they are imported to WORD, they
only use 72 dpi.

`~1!2@3#4$5%6^7&8*9(0)-_=+qQwWeErRtTyYuUiIoOpP[{]}aAsSdDfFgGhHjJkKlL;:'"\|zZxXc
CvVbBnNmM,.?/
                    ^
(what is this ------|)

JAD - '83 UIUC '85 USC

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (05/30/91)

Word 4.0 DOES supports fractional line widths on laserwriters.  I
believe that some of the problem is also the fault of Claris.  Claris
does not export what it prints; it has a custom postscript generator
so that printing from (for instance) macdraw II looks better than
exporting something word and printing it through word.

On the other hand, I have received a fair share of grief from word,
and have come to live by the following rules:

(1) Align your graphics at 4x resolution in macdraw II.  This will
very likely make it print correctly on a postscript or quickdraw laser
printer.  It will most certainly fail to work correctly on a quickdraw
device.  It will certainly look ugly on your screen at 1x resolution
(in word).  Do not worry.

(2) Paste the graphics into word twice (this is a tip from microsoft
support).  Paste it in the first time, then "copy as picture", and
paste it again.  This forces word to reinterpret/reprocess the
graphic.  I believe that sometimes this causes the graphic to print
better.

(3) Graphics created with Canvas almost never give me trouble in word,
however, canvas 2.0 once created a graphic that would always crash our
printer (from word).  I have given up on canvas for that reason.

Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL