[comp.sys.mac.apps] Character over a character in MS Word

dmoon@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Doksu Moon) (05/21/91)

In Microsoft Word 4.0 how does one go about printing one character over
another?  More specifically, I want some of my vowels to have macrons (the
characters that indicates that the letter is a long vowel) over them, but I do
n't know how.  I have noticed that command-option-comma, in most character
sets, generates the macron mark, but I just can't figure out how to make it
appear over a vowel.

Doksu Moon
dmoon@phoenix.princeton.edu

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/23/91)

dmoon@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Doksu Moon) writes:

DM> In Microsoft Word 4.0 how does one go about printing one character over
DM> another?  More specifically, I want some of my vowels to have macrons (the
DM> characters that indicates that the letter is a long vowel) over them, but I
DM> don't know how.  I have noticed that command-option-comma, in most character
DM> sets, generates the macron mark, but I just can't figure out how to make
DM> it appear over a vowel.

    Read the manual (or help) section on Formulas.

    You need Overstrike:  Type <cmd-opt>-\ O(char1,char2)  You may have to type
<cmd>-Y to view the result.

 * Origin: mingo@well.sf.ca.us  mingo@cup.portal.com  (1:109/421.4218)

LARRY@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu (Larry ) (05/30/91)

In article <674959843.1@blkcat.FidoNet>
Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) writes:
> In Microsoft Word 4.0 how does one go about printing one character over
> DM> another?  More specifically, I want some of my vowels to have
macrons

In a similar vein, is it possible to print a sehwa (it looks like a
lower-case, backwards, upside-down "e", used to indicate pronunciation of
a certain sound).  I'm looking either for a way to create the character
using a common font within Word or a font (PostScript or TrueType
preferred, bitmapped ok).

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/30/91)

LARRY@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu (Larry ) writes:

L> In a similar vein, is it possible to print a sehwa (it looks like a
L> lower-case, backwards, upside-down "e", used to indicate pronunciation of
L> a certain sound).  I'm looking either for a way to create the character
L> using a common font within Word or a font (PostScript or TrueType
L> preferred, bitmapped ok).

   Sounds like you need TechPhonetic!  It's an ATM Type 1 font with the whole
International Phonetic Alphabet.

 * Origin: "Up to a point, Lord Copper" -- Waugh (1:109/421.4218)