[comp.sys.mac.apps] Inline equations in MS Word 4.0

tuceryan@ss1.cps.msu.edu (Mihran Tuceryan) (05/29/91)

There is an FKEY for adjusting the baseline of inline equations
pasted from MathType or Expressionist into MS Word. This used to
work in 6.0.7 or less, however, it is not working under system 7
any longer. Is there a version of this or something similar to it
working under system 7?

Thanks in advance.
Mihran Tuceryan

guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andreas J. Guelzow) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.173933.25927@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> tuceryan@ss1.cps.msu.edu (Mihran Tuceryan) writes:

>There is an FKEY for adjusting the baseline of inline equations
>pasted from MathType or Expressionist into MS Word. This used to
>work in 6.0.7 or less, however, it is not working under system 7
>any longer. Is there a version of this or something similar to it
>working under system 7?
I am the author of said FKEY and after I receive both a copy of Inside
Mac VI and System 7 (both are ordered) I will see whether I can find
out what's wrong with the key, but I surely won't spend lots of time
doing that.

flame on

Microsoft Word 4.0 has been upgraded at least 4 times
since lot's of us voiced their disappointment with this missing
feature (which I would call a bug). Microsoft didn't care enough to
include it and it would probably take only half an hour to include it.
I wrote this FKEY within one day and it was my first FKEY and I had to
figure out the picComments (that can be obtained from Prescience free
of charge).

flame off

I suggest you switch to Nisus and tell Microsoft about it.

--
Andreas J. Guelzow                       <guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Department of Mathematics & Astronomy        University of Manitoba

jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.152619.14328@ccu.umanitoba.ca> guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andreas J. Guelzow) writes:
}In article <1991May28.173933.25927@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> tuceryan@ss1.cps.msu.edu (Mihran Tuceryan) writes:
}>
}>There is an FKEY for adjusting the baseline of inline equations
}>pasted from MathType or Expressionist into MS Word. This used to
}>work in 6.0.7 or less, however, it is not working under system 7
}>any longer. Is there a version of this or something similar to it
}>working under system 7?
}I am the author of said FKEY and after I receive both a copy of Inside
}Mac VI and System 7 (both are ordered) I will see whether I can find
}out what's wrong with the key, but I surely won't spend lots of time
}doing that.
}
}flame on
}
}   /* flame about MicroSoft and how the stubbornly refuse to FIX the
}      way that WORD SCREWS up using MathType or Expressionist deleted
}      even though I agree 150% !! */
}
}flame off
}
}I suggest you switch to Nisus and tell Microsoft about it.
}

The problems with Word goes even further that it's refusal to use baseline
info... even when you ADJUST the baseline (using subscript) Word STILL
mucks the works for you because all it does is make the graphic "frame" lower
and descends the eqt. there. Since the "frame" is still as tall as it was, it
screws up line spacing even though what's in the upper region of the frame
is empty:

	This is the 1st sentence in this paragraph
	                             -----
	                             | XX |
	This is a line in word where |____| I want an eqt
	And this is another line below it

Now when you adjust, even though XX is moved down, Word still keeps the
upper portion of the "frame" there, screwing up line spacing

	Now it is adjusted, that is, the baseline info is correct
	                             -----
	                             |    |
	But spacing is still screwed | XX | up
	Below stuff HH AHA H AHNW  WJMJ WJWJWJWN

'Course, ASCII graphics don't cut it...

What I did was DROP WORD (and wrote a super nasty letter to MicroSoft) and
switched to Nisus...

I've recently switched to FrameMaker, which has it's OWN eqt. maker built-in...
FM is Top-Notch!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.4
     jim@jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"If we increase the size of the penguin until it is the same height as a man
 and then compare the relative brain size, we know find that the penguin's
 brain is still smaller. But, and this is the point, it is larger than it WAS!"

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (george) (05/30/91)

:
:The problems with Word goes even further that it's refusal to use baseline
:info... even when you ADJUST the baseline (using subscript) Word STILL
:mucks the works for you because all it does is make the graphic "frame" lower
:and descends the eqt. there. Since the "frame" is still as tall as it was, it
:screws up line spacing even though what's in the upper region of the frame
:is empty:
:

this particular problem is remedied by simply specifying
a _negative_ line spacing.

I can see where someone might want automatic line spacing, but why the
heck is it the default.  And whats with this negative number?  how about
a "fixed spacing" check box. sigh.

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu

hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad Hedstrom) (05/30/91)

In article <43883@netnews.upenn.edu> jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (george) writes:
> this particular problem is remedied by simply specifying
> a _negative_ line spacing.

Yes but if you paste an inline graphic which is slightly taller than
the fixed line width, it gets truncated. Can happen pretty frequencly
when one has lots of sub-subscripts.

I also switched to Nisus.
Brad Hedstrom, Grad Student  Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
University of Victoria                   Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Internet: hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA                     (a.k.a. Brazil North)
UUCP: ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-visions,ubc-cs}!sirius.UVic.CA!hedstrom

Disclaimer: I am a lowly Graduate Student who has difficulty
	    discerning reality from fantasy so the validity of my
	    comments is questionable and certainly does not reflect
	    the views of the University of Victoria administration.

<ICBAL@ASUACAD.BITNET> (05/30/91)

:The problems with Word goes even further that it's refusal to use baseline
:info... even when you ADJUST the baseline (using subscript) Word STILL
:mucks the works for you because all it does is make the graphic "frame" lower
:and descends the eqt. there. Since the "frame" is still as tall as it was, it
:screws up line spacing even though what's in the upper region of the frame
:is empty

>this particular problem is remedied by simply specifying
>a _negative_ line spacing.

Except that large equations will overlap the lines above and below when
using "negative" line spacing.

The most practical solution we have found is simply to stick with Word 3.02,
which does not have this problem. (There are a half-dozen other reasons
why we find Word 3.02 superior to 4.0.  I wrote a letter to Microsoft once,
listing them all.)  So far, there are ONLY two special cases where Word 4.0
is needed and used: (1) when Word 4's table feature is needed, (2) when
making big-print documents for transparencies (it is easier to magnify the
document in Word 4's Page Setup than to make the type bigger because that
would involve resetting all of MathType's size preferences).

Bruce Long
Department of Mathematics
Arizona State University
icbal@asuvm.inre.asu.edu