[comp.sys.mac.apps] Opening doc's

aleskine@cs.hut.fi (Arto Leskinen) (05/18/91)

Does anyone know how Sys 7 knows which documents program can open. I would
like to add some old programs ability to open docs when they are drawn
ower an application.
aleskine@sauna.hut.fi
Arto Leskinen

sleifer@vivaldi.eng.uci.edu (Simeon Leifer) (05/20/91)

System 7.0 decides what kinds of files an application can open by looking at
all of the file types defined in the applications bundle resource.  so. to add
the ability to open a different type of doc, add its type to the applications
bundle resource. no need for it to have an assouated icon. NOTE: this requires
the use of ResEdit so be careful.

You must rebuild the desktop for the system to be able to act on your changes
if you want an application to be able to open any document (like ResEdit can)
add the file type '****' to the bundle resource.

-----------------------------
Simeon Leifer

I only go to school at UCI, i'm sure most of the people here don't know me, so
of course they may not share my opinions.

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (05/31/91)

In article <2836C1E3.8691@orion.oac.uci.edu> sleifer@vivaldi.eng.uci.edu (Simeon Leifer) writes:

>the ability to open a different type of doc, add its type to the applications
>bundle resource. no need for it to have an assouated icon. NOTE: this requires
>the use of ResEdit so be careful.

You can also use the Understudy INIT that I wrote, which avoids having to
modify the application itself.  It's now available at
sumex-aim-stanford.edu.  Right now it also requires ResEdit for
configuration, but the next version will have a "real" user inerface.

--
Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

lsr@apple.com
(or AppleLink: Rosenstein1)