[comp.sys.mac.apps] NCSA Telnet & System 7 : Bugs?

lwj@cs.kun.nl (Luc Rooijakkers) (05/30/91)

Ever since I installed System 7.0 on several of our Mac Plusses, I have
experienced little problems with NCSA Telnet. The problems manifest
themselves in two areas: fonts and option key remapping.

The only font that seems to work okay is Courier. All the others result
in a wide window, with all characters being displayed as if they were
about twice their width. Even the cursor gets this width, so I suspect
there is a problem with Telnet calculating the maximum width of all
the characters in a font. The characters themselves have their normal
shape (i.e., not extra wide). Has anyone else seen this? How can I cure
it?

Also, the remapping of Option to Ctrl (very useful on a Plus, if you
also want to use Command shortcuts) doesn't work right anymore. The keys
produce control codes nowhere near those they should produce. However,
when I turn off Command keys, the Command combination *does* produce the
right control code. Before System 7, this has always worked for me, both
with Dutch and US versions of the system software.

Setup:	- Macintosh Plus
	- 2.5 MB memory
	- 20 MB hard disk (several brands)
	- No INITS (oops, extensions)
	- System 7.0, newly installed
	- Only the standard fonts in the System file (those that are put
    	  there by the Installer)
	- Normal keyboard (US version)
	- MacTCP 1.0.1 over LocalTalk
	- NCSA Telnet 2.4 beta 11 (MacTCP version)

Those are not fatal problems, but they are annoying. Thanks in advance
for any info.

--
Luc Rooijakkers                                 Internet: lwj@cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science     UUCP: uunet!cs.kun.nl!lwj

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) (05/30/91)

In article <3602@wn1.sci.kun.nl> lwj@cs.kun.nl (Luc Rooijakkers) writes:

Reports bugs in NCSA Telnet 2.4b11.

Have you sent a bug report to the Email address which
you will find under the About NCSA Telnet,
telbug@ncsa.uiuc.edu? I've found the people
at NCSA to be very helpful and responsive,
usually sending an answer within 24 hours.

Since I haven't heard of the problems you reported,
I would guess that they have to do with some peculiarity
in your own system configuration than with NCSA Telnet
itself, but the people at NCSA may be able to diagnose
what's wrong.

Steve Goldfield
College of Engineering
UC Berkeley

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/31/91)

In article <3602@wn1.sci.kun.nl> lwj@cs.kun.nl (Luc Rooijakkers) writes:
> The only font that seems to work okay is Courier. All the others result
> in a wide window, with all characters being displayed as if they were
> about twice their width. Even the cursor gets this width, so I suspect
> there is a problem with Telnet calculating the maximum width of all
> the characters in a font. The characters themselves have their normal
> shape (i.e., not extra wide). Has anyone else seen this? How can I cure
> it?

It may be interesting to note that I have NCSA Telnet running on my Mac IIci
here at work with no problems.  I moved the exact same files over to a Mac Plus
that someone else has here, and on that machine it shows the behavior you
describe.  The Mac Plus we were using was the older ROMs (it's really an
upgraded Mac 512KE, if I remember right), so I assumed it had something to do
with that.  In our case we just set the font to Courier 10 and left it there.

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer                       (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

gaujct@lure.latrobe.edu.au (05/31/91)

In article <3602@wn1.sci.kun.nl>, lwj@cs.kun.nl (Luc Rooijakkers) writes:
> Ever since I installed System 7.0 on several of our Mac Plusses, I have
> experienced little problems with NCSA Telnet. The problems manifest
> themselves in two areas: fonts and option key remapping.
>
> The only font that seems to work okay is Courier. All the others result
> in a wide window, with all characters being displayed as if they were
> about twice their width. Even the cursor gets this width, so I suspect
> there is a problem with Telnet calculating the maximum width of all
> the characters in a font. The characters themselves have their normal
> shape (i.e., not extra wide). Has anyone else seen this? How can I cure
> it?
>
> Also, the remapping of Option to Ctrl (very useful on a Plus, if you
> also want to use Command shortcuts) doesn't work right anymore. The keys
> produce control codes nowhere near those they should produce. However,
> when I turn off Command keys, the Command combination *does* produce the
> right control code. Before System 7, this has always worked for me, both
> with Dutch and US versions of the system software.

> --
> Luc Rooijakkers                                 Internet: lwj@cs.kun.nl
> Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science     UUCP: uunet!cs.kun.nl!lwj
> University of Nijmegen, the Netherlands         tel. +3180652271

I am successfully using BYU Telnet 2.3.4 with System 7.0 but have also had a
minor font problem.  Monaco 9pt works fine, as does Courier.  However, Monaco
12pt produces distorted characters, as if the bitmap font has not been installed
in the system.  When I replace the System 7.0 Monaco 12 bitmap font in my
system folder with the old System 6.07 version of the Monaco 12 bitmap font all
is back to normal.

John Traeger
Dept of Chemistry
La Trobe University