[comp.sys.mac.apps] Grey output on a LaserWriterIINT

morgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) (05/29/91)

Hi all,

I have just installed LaserWriter 6.0.2 and LaserPrep 6.0.1 in the
hope that I can print true grey scales on my laserwriter II NT/NTX.

BUT until now, everything I have tried to print has been the same as
before with the previous printer software - grey made up of larger or
smaller dots (like on a newspaper photograph).

How can I get TRUE GREY SCALES output from my Laserwriter ???

Can anyone suggest the correct method ???

Best regards,

Chris Morgan
morgan@riks.nl

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (05/30/91)

If you are getting better than 72dpi output, then that's as good as it
gets.  I am somewhat surprised at how poor the postscript greys look
at 300dpi.  Somewhere I read that there were only 20 distinct shades
of grey available.  I don't understand why there aren't 17 or 65 or
some number like 2^n + 1.

I have tried printing mathematica plots a NeXT laser printer at 400
dpi and the result looked about twice as good.  I don't know if it
generates grey scales differently, but it sure does a better job.

Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL

--

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (05/31/91)

>I am somewhat surprised at how poor the postscript greys look
>at 300dpi.
>I have tried printing mathematica plots a NeXT laser printer at 400
>dpi and the result looked about twice as good.

Naturally.  400dpi = 1,600,000 dpsi, whereas 300dpi = 900,000 dpsi.
1,600,000/900,000 = 1.8; matches pretty well with "about twice", eh?
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/01/91)

I wrote:
>Naturally.  400dpi = 1,600,000 dpsi, whereas 300dpi = 900,000 dpsi.
>1,600,000/900,000 = 1.8; matches pretty well with "about twice", eh?

Obviously, I divide better than I multiply.  You can all stop sending
me mail to that effect. :-)

The point remains that a 400dpi printer puts nearly twice as many dots
on a page as does a 300 dpi printer.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner