[comp.sys.mac.apps] Kaleidagraph questions

johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu (Bill Johnston) (05/23/91)

Kaleidagraph was recently discussed as a fairly straight-forward
replacement for Cricket Graph, and a better choice for scientific
graphics than the business-oriented DeltaGraph.  A few questions:

1 -- Is KG System 7 compatible? (No KG info in the Compatibility Checker.)
2 -- KG is now distributed by Synergy Software rather that Abelbeck.
     Is it still under development?   Still Lonnie Abelbeck?
3 -- Is it DeskWriter compatible?
4 -- Does Synergy offfer site licenses or educational discounts?
5 -- Any compelling reason to use a different product?

I'll summarize if others are interested.

-- Bill Johnston (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (05/23/91)

I asked several questions about Kaleidagraph.  Several quick, unqualified
endorsements; there seem to be alot of Lonnie Abelbeck fans out there!

>1 -- Is KG System 7 compatible? (No KG info in the Compatibility Checker.)

Version 2.1 is current;  people report no problems with 7.0.

>2 -- KG is now distributed by Synergy Software rather that Abelbeck.
>     Is it still under development?   Still Lonnie Abelbeck?

Yes, yes, yes.  Several positive comments about Abelbeck's upgrade
policies.  One person said to expect a new version of Kaleidagraph
now that the Versaterm-Pro update has been released.

>3 -- Is it DeskWriter compatible?

One person mentioned that the plot symbols were sometimes printed
incorrectly on the DW.  This problem went away when printing with
a postscript emulator like Freedom of the Press.

>4 -- Does Synergy offer site licenses or educational discounts?

Apparently not.  They quoted me a price over the phone, and quickly
added that mail order prices were usually lower.  That was a pleasant
surprise.

Best price I found:  $144 + $3 for overnight S&H fro The Mac Zone,
                     1-800-248-0800. (Good luck with them in the past.)

>5 -- Any compelling reason to use a different product?

Igor does "EVERYTHING".  DeltaGraph does limited 3-D.  The current version
of Kaleidagraph does not export EPS (encapsulated post-script), which
is important for TEX users.

vogelw@bionette.CGRB.ORST.EDU (Walter Vogel - Biochem) (05/23/91)

>>1 -- Is KG System 7 compatible? (No KG info in the Compatibility Checker.)
>
>Version 2.1 is current;  people report no problems with 7.0.
>
>>2 -- KG is now distributed by Synergy Software rather that Abelbeck.
>>     Is it still under development?   Still Lonnie Abelbeck?
>
>Yes, yes, yes.  Several positive comments about Abelbeck's upgrade
>policies.  One person said to expect a new version of Kaleidagraph
>now that the Versaterm-Pro update has been released.

According to Barbara Maxwel of Synergy SW:
"A version of KaleidaGraph that will take advantage of system 7.0 will not be
available until next year, but the current version will continue to function as
it does now, even if you are running under system 7.0".

>>5 -- Any compelling reason to use a different product?
>
>Igor does "EVERYTHING".  DeltaGraph does limited 3-D.  The current version
>of Kaleidagraph does not export EPS (encapsulated post-script), which
>is important for TEX users.

Both Igor (currently 1.24 and System 7 compatible according to the publisher)
and KaleidaGraph allow you to analyze and plot data.
I think that Igor does the former better while KaleidaGraph the latter.

Walter K. Vogel                    Internet: vogelw@bionette.cgrb.orst.edu
Dept Biochemistry and Biophysics       UUCP: {tektronix!orstcs!,
Oregon State University	                     hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!}
					     bionette.cgrb!vogelw

sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Emilio Lizardo ) (05/23/91)

Kaleidagraph 2.0 is coming out in June.
Kaleidagraph Pro will be released at that time as well.
Source: MacLeak.
--
Nevermind what the EPA says, It's Good For you! Drink it! Drink it! Drink It!

tjames@eagle.wesleyan.edu (05/25/91)

In article <1991May23.035527.10747@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Emilio Lizardo ) writes:
> Kaleidagraph 2.0 is coming out in June.
******
I bought KG from MacConnection few days ago and it was version 2.1.2.
******
> Kaleidagraph Pro will be released at that time as well.
> Source: MacLeak.
> --
> Nevermind what the EPA says, It's Good For you! Drink it! Drink it! Drink It!
--
Tharappel C. James
Department of Molecular Biology

TEKNIKUM.MIKAEL-BERGKVIST@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE (Mikael_b@cmaja.uu.se) (06/02/91)

GKaleidagraph 2.0 is coming out in June.
GKaleidagraph Pro will be released at that time as well.
GSource: MacLeak.
From: sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Emilio Lizardo )

Current version 2.1

M]]]]

mkh6317@zeus.tamu.edu (HOWARD, MATTHEW KENDALL) (06/02/91)

In article <12690083546014@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE>, TEKNIKUM.MIKAEL-BERGKVIST@AIDA.CSD.UU.SE (Mikael_b@cmaja.uu.se) writes...
>GKaleidagraph 2.0 is coming out in June.
>GKaleidagraph Pro will be released at that time as well.
>GSource: MacLeak.
>From: sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Emilio Lizardo )
>
>Current version 2.1

This was discussed earlier.  If you substitute the word
Deltagraph for Kaleidagraph in the above quote
then the statement correctly summarizes the MacWeek
article.

Matt