[comp.sys.mac.apps] Networking Macintosh PCs with Novell

jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au (Joseph Young) (06/03/91)

I am in a situation where I will probably have to install a new
student laboratory consisting of Macintosh workstations. These
Macs would be networked to an existing Novell File Server. I'd
be interested to hear from anyone who maybe running a Mac lab
and using Novell LAN. Some points I'm particularly interested
in are:

1. Can the Mac workstations be setup to remote boot?
2. What type of ethernet cards are available (the suggestion
   is to put low end Macs in such as LCs)?
3. How does one secure Mac mice and keyboards in a student lab
   situation?
4. If anyone is doing this (Mac Lab off Novell File Server), what's
   the performance like and are there any major hassles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Young.
Internet: jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au
          j.young@qut.edu.au

cantie@acsu.buffalo.edu (Operator, get me the number for 911) (06/04/91)

>I am in a situation where I will probably have to install a new
>student laboratory consisting of Macintosh workstations. These
>Macs would be networked to an existing Novell File Server. I'd
>be interested to hear from anyone who maybe running a Mac lab
>and using Novell LAN. Some points I'm particularly interested
>in are:
>
>1. Can the Mac workstations be setup to remote boot?

	No. You will need to have a boot disk to get onto the Novell
	network.

>2. What type of ethernet cards are available (the suggestion
>   is to put low end Macs in such as LCs)?

	I have not used the LC on a Novell net, but I have set
	up several ci's and SE/30's.  The IIci's hade Apple cards
	and the SE/30's have had Kenetics cards in them.  We are
	ordering a few LC's to test out, and are considering adding
	them to an existing Novell net that currently only has PC's
	on it.

>3. How does one secure Mac mice and keyboards in a student lab
>   situation?

	This is somthing we all looking into too.  The MACs have
	places built into them for security cables, but the mice and
	keyboards do not :-(.  What we have done receintly is to drill
	a hole in the keyboard, and screw in a connector that will allow
	us to slip the security cable into it.  This is basically what
	we do for the PC's too.

>4. If anyone is doing this (Mac Lab off Novell File Server), what's
>   the performance like and are there any major hassles?

	The "major hassles" all depend on what version of netware you
	are using, and wht type of machine you are using for a server.
	If you could tell me what version of netware you are using, and
	what the server is (micro chanel systems are VERY different from
	a standart 286/386 system, and makes a difference on wht cards
	you can use in the server to allow macs to connect.  You might
	have to set-up an external bridge - I have one running now).

	Printing to a Mac printer will also need to be addressed differently,
	depending on the version of netware you are planning on usig.

--
Bruce Cantie          Internet:  cantie@cs.buffalo.edu    | I speak only for me
LAN Systems           Internet:  bruce@fs1.cc.buffalo.edu | U.B. has nothing to

jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) (06/04/91)

In article <78765@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> cantie@acsu.buffalo.edu (Operator, get me the number for 911) writes:
>	This is somthing we all looking into too.  The MACs have
>	places built into them for security cables, but the mice and
>	keyboards do not :-(.  What we have done receintly is to drill
>	a hole in the keyboard, and screw in a connector that will allow
>	us to slip the security cable into it.  This is basically what
>	we do for the PC's too.

Some keyboards do have a hole built in to plug a security cable into. Mine
does at least (Apple Extended Keyboard-old style). I bought a cable system
(forgot the brand) and have kept mine most of the time since. Also, I
remember reading something about securing mice on one of these newsgroups
a while back, which hopefully somebody can remember details on, because I
can't.

Jess Holle