[comp.sys.mac.apps] Freedom of Press Light???

al155736@academ01.mty.itesm.mx (ETIENNE S RENE) (05/16/91)

    Anybody know if Freedom of Press Light is compatible with the StyleWriter
and system 7.0.

                                  Thanks

                               Rene Etienne

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/16/91)

al155736@academ01.mty.itesm.mx (ETIENNE S RENE) writes:

ES>     Anybody know if Freedom of Press Light is compatible with the
ES> StyleWriter and system 7.0.

     Well, Freedom of the Press (regular) seems to work OK with System7 (that's version 3.0.1 dated February 8, 1991).

     My version of FotP doesn't list the Stylewriter as a supported printer.  It's just too new (only out a month or so).

BTW:  where are you located?  I can't read your net.address.

 * Origin: mingo@well.sf.ca.us  mingo@cup.portal.com (1:109/421.4218)

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (05/22/91)

In article <674431273.0@blkcat.FidoNet>, Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) writes:
> al155736@academ01.mty.itesm.mx (ETIENNE S RENE) writes:
>
> ES>     Anybody know if Freedom of Press Light is compatible with the
> ES> StyleWriter and system 7.0.
>
>      Well, Freedom of the Press (regular) seems to work OK with System7 (that's version 3.0.1 dated February 8, 1991).
>
>      My version of FotP doesn't list the Stylewriter as a supported printer.  It's just too new (only out a month or so).
>
> BTW:  where are you located?  I can't read your net.address.

I have FoP 3.0, but from my understanding from Custom Applications (the
publishers), the only real difference between FoP and FoP Light is that
FoP comes with more fonts (the entire LW+ set rather than just the LW four).
Under System 6, I simply choose the QuickDraw driver, and it then shows me
all of the print drivers in my System Folder.  I choose StyleWriter, and
voila!  I have a "360-dpi Postscript printer"!  I just attempted to print
a directory under System 7, and it didn't print anything, however.

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp         | CI$:       76354,1434                 |
| GENie:   G.AUSTIN3                  | AOnline:   GAustin                    |

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/23/91)

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) writes:

GA> Under System 6, I simply choose the QuickDraw driver, and it then shows me
GA> all of the print drivers in my System Folder.  I choose StyleWriter, and
GA> voila!  I have a "360-dpi Postscript printer"!  I just attempted to print
GA> a directory under System 7, and it didn't print anything, however.

    I believe the "QuickDraw" driver just supports QuickDraw-style output, so
choosing that option wouldn't give you the benefit of PS effects not available
in QD.  (It would let you output PS files on your QD printer, however.)

    That's why there's a pop-up menu of manufacturere and printers.  The only
Apple printer supported in my version is ImageWriter.

 * Origin: mingo@well.sf.ca.us  mingo@cup.portal.com  (1:109/421.4218)

mpradhan@f.adelaide.edu.au (05/23/91)

Charlie Mingo writes:

>     I believe the "QuickDraw" driver just supports QuickDraw-style output,
> so choosing that option wouldn't give you the benefit of PS effects not
> available in QD.  (It would let you output PS files on your QD printer,
> however.)
>
>     That's why there's a pop-up menu of manufacturere and printers.  The
> only Apple printer supported in my version is ImageWriter.

From my understanding FOP can support certain printers directly, or it can
use generic Quickdraw calls to send the image to the printer using the driver.
This does not mean that PS effects cannot be printed. FOP images the PS image
in the Mac's memory, then sends the bitmap to the printer driver, using QD
calls.

The reason for FOP stuffing up under System 7.0 has been discussed before:
it's due to the placement of the FOP folder and font files, I can't remember
the fix but it was less than obvious.

Regards
Malcolm

    Malcolm Pradhan
    Medical Computing, Faculty of Medicine        _--_|\
    University of Adelaide, South Australia      /      \
    InterNet: mpradhan@f.adelaide.edu.au         \_.--._/
    Fax: + 618 338 2108                                v

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (05/28/91)

In article <674959843.2@blkcat.FidoNet>, Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) writes:
>     I believe the "QuickDraw" driver just supports QuickDraw-style output, so
> choosing that option wouldn't give you the benefit of PS effects not available
> in QD.  (It would let you output PS files on your QD printer, however.)

Nope.  I could do all kinds of postscript stuff under FoP, including the
examples from "Inside LaserWriter" with no problems.

I tried one person's suggestion of removing the contents of header.ps, but
it still doesn't print.  Maybe I need to swap the print driver and the alias,
putting the driver in the System Folder and the alias in the extensions
folder...

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp         | CI$:       76354,1434                 |
| GENie:   G.AUSTIN3                  | AOnline:   GAustin                    |

gillooly@vixvax.mgi.com (06/05/91)

Question:	Does Freedom of Press Light work with the StyleWriter
		and System 7.0?

Answer:		Call Custom Applications 508-667-8585 and ask the
		manufacturer.