[comp.sys.mac.apps] Retrospect 1.3 crashing under System 7

tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich) (06/04/91)

Now that I've got System 7 up and running, I tried backing up my hard disk
to a Teac 150MB tape drive using Retrospect 1.3's BACKUP function, but I
can't.  Version 1.3 is the new one that's supposed to work under System 7.

In the second backup step, "Choose Archive", I click "Create New" and
get the usual Standard File dialog for naming a new archive file.
But after I type in a name for the new file and click OK, the SF dialog
disappears and Retrospect 1.3 immediately freezes.  The file is not created.

Retrospect 1.3 also freezes if I select "Quit" from the File menu at
nearly any point except immediately after it launches.

I was able to get past the SF dialog successfully once (I don't know why;
I can't do it again) and Retrospect began scanning the hard disk
for files and folders.  It halted in mid-scan and put up a warning that
basically said "Scan incomplete: out of memory.".  I pulled down File/Quit
so I could increase the app memory size, but Quit caused a freeze.

After rebooting, I increased the application memory from 1024K to 2048K, but
now I can't get past the SF dialog crash.  Reinstalling Retrospect afresh
from the update diskette didn't help.

Can anyone out there reproduce (or explain) this problem?

I'm running System 7.0 on a plain Mac II with 8MB of RAM.  The only
extensions/cdevs are MaxAppleZoom 1.3, the Disinfectant 2.4 init, and
Retrospect 1.3's RETRO.SCSI init.

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.073611.291@spool.cs.wisc.edu> tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich) writes:

>Now that I've got System 7 up and running, I tried backing up my hard disk
>to a Teac 150MB tape drive using Retrospect 1.3's BACKUP function, but I
>can't.  Version 1.3 is the new one that's supposed to work under System 7.
>
>In the second backup step, "Choose Archive", I click "Create New" and
>get the usual Standard File dialog for naming a new archive file.
>But after I type in a name for the new file and click OK, the SF dialog
>disappears and Retrospect 1.3 immediately freezes.  The file is not created.
>
>Retrospect 1.3 also freezes if I select "Quit" from the File menu at
>nearly any point except immediately after it launches.
>
>I was able to get past the SF dialog successfully once (I don't know why;
>I can't do it again) and Retrospect began scanning the hard disk
>for files and folders.  It halted in mid-scan and put up a warning that
>basically said "Scan incomplete: out of memory.".  I pulled down File/Quit
>so I could increase the app memory size, but Quit caused a freeze.
>
>After rebooting, I increased the application memory from 1024K to 2048K, but
>now I can't get past the SF dialog crash.  Reinstalling Retrospect afresh
>from the update diskette didn't help.
>
>Can anyone out there reproduce (or explain) this problem?
>
>I'm running System 7.0 on a plain Mac II with 8MB of RAM.  The only
>extensions/cdevs are MaxAppleZoom 1.3, the Disinfectant 2.4 init, and
>Retrospect 1.3's RETRO.SCSI init.

I'm running a Mac II w/5MB Ram, Sys7 and Retro 1.3, with a TEAC 150MB
tape drive, and I've backed up my HD twice in system7 without a
problem, including creating the archive once and incrementally backing
it up once (also did one retrieve of some system 6 stuff with no
probems).

Try turning off all inits.  If this doesn't work, re-install retro--it
may be a bad copy.

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California