[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS-Word/DeskWriter problem under Sys 7

vbob@umd5.umd.edu (Bob Shields) (06/05/91)

I seem to be having problems printing from MS-Word 4.00C under
system 7.0 to my DeskWriter printer.  I am using a Mac LC
(VM is off, 24-bit mode) and version 2.1 of the DeskWriter
driver with a serial-mode only DW.  I am also using the
"MS-Word TrueType(tm) Printer Init".

The problem occurs both with TrueType fonts and Adobe Type I
fonts with ATM 2.0: the inter-word spacing is terrible whenever
there is a change in type style (i.e., plain to italic, plain to
bold, etc.)  Inter-word spacing is fine when there is no style
change, and inter-character spacing is always okay (well, at
least its always consistent :)

Has anyone else seen these problems?  I have heard there is work
being done to the DW driver, but I was under the impression its
problems were only with 32-bit mode and/or VM turned on.  I also
know there is a version 4.00D of MS-Word available, but I don't
know what fixes are in it (compared to the 4.00C I have.)

Thanks in advance,

--
Bob Shields		 vbob@umd5.umd.edu

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (06/05/91)

vbob@umd5.umd.edu (Bob Shields) writes:

>I seem to be having problems printing from MS-Word 4.00C under
>system 7.0 to my DeskWriter printer.  I am using a Mac LC
>(VM is off, 24-bit mode) and version 2.1 of the DeskWriter
>driver with a serial-mode only DW.  I am also using the
>"MS-Word TrueType(tm) Printer Init".

>know there is a version 4.00D of MS-Word available, but I don't
>know what fixes are in it (compared to the 4.00C I have.)

According to the readme that comes with 4.00D, there seems to be only
one difference (there may be others not mentioned in the readme)
between version C and D, namely: "A small number of files not in Word
document format could not be opened by Word 4.00C.  This problem was
unique to version 4.00C and is corrected in 4.00D."

But on the other hand, the 4.00D is the version that comes with the
TrueType init and I don't know (the readme doesn't say) whether you
need to have 4.00D to use the init or whether it would work okay with
version C. I would think you should try to get version D to be sure.

Another point made in the readme that might have some bearing on your
problem is: "If you are using the StyleWriter or the Personal
LaserWriter LS, turn on Fractional Widths in the Page Setup dialog to
get correct tab alignments."
--
Dana E. Keil           Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
dana@are.berkeley.EDU                 University of California, Berkeley