[comp.sys.mac.apps] Academic vs. Regular MSWord/Excel?

earl@cogdev.cognet.ucla.edu (Earl Williams) (06/05/91)

Can anyone describe the differences between the academic and regular
versions of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word?  Are many features
disabled, or?

Any information (or pointers to a source of information) would be
much appreciated.

Thanks,

Earl M. Williams       ?8-)      UCLA Psychology Department
earl@cognet.ucla.edu             2344B Franz Hall
"No matter where you go, there you are."   -Buckaroo Banzai

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.233716.1203@cognet.ucla.edu> earl@cogdev.cognet.ucla.edu (Earl Williams) writes:
>Can anyone describe the differences between the academic and regular
>versions of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word?  Are many features
>disabled, or?

I've found the following differences between Academic Word and regular
Word:

(1) The Academic version has a different label.
(2) Upgrades to the Academic version do NOT include manuals. When I
    updated 3.0 to 4.0, I got a coupon with the 4.0 package allowing me
    to get the manuals for $35.
(3) You can not upgrade an Academic version to a Full version.  Things
    were this way when I moved from 3.0 to 4.0.

Microsoft sales is probably the BEST source for current information.
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |