[comp.sys.mac.apps] Any good music scoring pgms?

consp13@bingsunp.bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Marcus Cannava) (05/21/91)

To all you Mac musicians out there,

	I'm looking for a program to do my desktop music publishing. I
need recommendations for programs that can produce PROFESSIONAL
quality music notation, that can cut/paste between word processors
(for including musical examples in research papers, etc), handle basic
as well as extended notational needs, etc.

	I've heard of Notewriter II, but I wasn't too impressed with
Notewriter 1.3 (it doesn't cut/paste properly to the clipboard).

	Please send email and I'll summarize to the Net if interest
warrants.

		Thanks in advance,
			\marc
--
consp13@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu			Marcus N. Cannava
       @bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu			SUNY-Binghamton

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (05/22/91)

[Sigh, the mail return address didn't work so I'm posting this.]

Yes, interest does warrant. Please do summarize on the net your findings
on music scores. Thanks!

Ian
--
Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu      Bitnet: 2fntnougat@ukanvax
I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an

owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) (05/23/91)

Mail didn't work, so I'm posting.

The only good professional scoring program I know of is Finale.
It's somewhat clumsy and annoying, but very versatile and produces
first-rate output for very complex music. It also has nice features
for inputting data from MIDI -- very handy.

There are also some non-midi programs which are straight graphics
and know little about what music is supposed to look like.
They are hard to use but some apparently do an acceptable job at
creating publishable music.

-- Russell
owen@astro.washington.edu

samuels@nosc.mil (05/23/91)

My two cents:

I've been using Professional Composer since 1985 and followed
it through its upgrades.  It's pretty functional in traditional
scoring of music - I do string quartets with it usually.
It has a lot of symbols I don't use, so I can't estimate its
worth in doing, say, percussion music or some one of a kind
notation of your own.

As much as I've liked it in the past, I'm beginning to consider
the purchase of Finale.  ProComposer updates have been less
'improving' than they used to be, IMO.  I ran into a few things
which I consider to be missing when I wrote a piano piece - you
can't slur or beam across the piano grand staff, bass to treble.
When I contacted MOTU about this, they were very nice, but the
reply was, basically, "Well, you're right.  Hmmm... we'll let you
know if we ever do anything about it."

IMO, they're much more interested in their sequencer, Performer, and
it's addons (Time Piece, etc.).  I can't complain too much;   I
use Performer and think it's great!

So maybe I'll win the lottery and buy Finale...
Larry Samuels
samuels@nosc.mil

jnixon@spam.ua.oz (John Nixon) (05/24/91)

        I too tried to e-mail the original poster, but failed.  So here
goes YAP (Yet Another Post).

        Check out "Music Publisher", by Repertoire (sp?), an Australian
company based right here in my home town (believe it or not).

        It sells for around 5-600 ($AUS), should be obtainable in the US,
and is the best thing since the last best thing, according to my brother,
who uses it on a number of Macs (SE 1/20, SE 2/20, IIcx 5/40).  He is a
high-school music/drama teacher who does scores for productions using it,
as well as arrangements for the swing band he plays bass in (international
plug for the 14 piece "D. W. Waldorf Swing Orchestra").  It supports
sequencers, has multiple voices for play-back, etc., etc.

        Recently I have seen ads in the mags about a "try before you buy"
offer.  Sounds just perfect to me.  Sorry about being so light on the
details.  I would have to contact my brother/the company for more.

        Check it out.

                                John

briang@bari.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Gordon) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May22.233936.23129@milton.u.washington.edu> owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) writes:
>	[...]
>The only good professional scoring program I know of is Finale.
>It's somewhat clumsy and annoying, but very versatile and produces
>first-rate output for very complex music. It also has nice features
>for inputting data from MIDI -- very handy.
>	[...]

Am I the only one who knows of MusicProse from Coda (the writers of Finale)?
It is the manuscripting portions of Finale, made into a stand-alone package,
and enhanced.  According to the Coda people I have talked to, it is
significantly better than Finale for manuscripting, significantly cheaper, but,
of course, doesn't do all the rest of the stuff that Finale does.

Has everyone else seen it and rejected it for some reason, or is it just a well
kept secret?
--
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
| Brian G. Gordon	briang@Sun.COM					      |

seiler@vlsisj.uucp (%) (05/31/91)

In article <14169@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, briang@bari.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Gordon)
writes:

|> Am I the only one who knows of MusicProse from Coda (the writers of Finale)?
|> Has everyone else seen it and rejected it for some reason, or is it just a
well
|> kept secret?
|> --
I have used MusicProse since early Feb.  I mainly use it to transpose music for
the concert B flat instruments in a small church group I am in.  I wanted an
improvement over DMC or ConcertWare + but didn't want to spend ca. $600.  The
street price of MusicProse is ca. $300.  Some things about it are a bit clumsy
but it is an major improvement over the programs mentioned above. If you get it,
be sure to send in the registration card.  Earlier this year they shipped out
version 2.1 (free) to everyone who turned in a 2.0 registration.  It was mainly
a bug fix.  By the way, it includes its own postscript font for music notation
and guitar symbols.

Bruce Seiler

seiler@compass-da.com

lecocq@hplred.HP.COM (Christian LeCocq) (06/07/91)

I am a little late in the discussion here about music programs,
but here are my questions:
I am using Concertware+ which is OK for my (very) limited use except
for one major trouble: I want to be able to have evenly spaced bars
(i.e. no justification) and be able to have exactly four bars/line
(blues/jazz style).
Another good thing would be to have a program transpose
the chord litteral names as well as the score, although I can
live with doing it by hand. (Concert -> Bb is why I need it).

Can you comment on the programs previously mentioned in that discussion
with respect to those specific two features ?

Thanks

	Christian