[comp.sys.mac.apps] Backup Programs

twl@cs.brown.edu (Ted "Theodore" W. Leung) (05/05/91)

Hi..
     Can someone give me a good recommendation for a backup program?
I'm interested in being able to archive as well as backup.   At the
moment the backup medium will be HD floppies, but may change to a
Syquest removable in the future.

Thanks in advance,

Ted
Internet/CSnet: twl@cs.brown.edu 	| Ted "Theodore" Leung
BITNET: twl@BROWNCS.BITNET		| Box 1910, Brown University
UUCP: uunet!brunix!twl			| Providence, RI 02912

eabu111@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Luh) (05/05/91)

For backing up your HD, I'd recommend the program RetroSpect.  It comes highly
recommended from friends who must keep approximately 800 megs of information.
Retrospect can back up into various mediums (syqyests, tapes, etc) and also
create a directory too.  The current version 1.3 boasts the ability to backup
1 terabyte (thats 1000 gigs to you and me) so you don't have to worry about
ever running out of room to back up your information to.

Oh, Retrospect also has incremental backup, backup new files only, and also
the ability to do remote backup (unattended backups).

Steve

robg@Apple.COM (Rob Griffiths) (05/05/91)

In article <2824044C.28458@orion.oac.uci.edu> eabu111@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Luh) writes:
>For backing up your HD, I'd recommend the program RetroSpect.  It comes highly
>recommended from friends who must keep approximately 800 megs of information.

I've tried Retrospect, and found it reasonable and usable.  It may also be
worthwhile to check out Fastback II from 5th Generation Systems.  For
individual back-ups, it's the quickest program I've ever seen (at least
when backing up to a tape drive).  It not only backs up quickly, but it
includes automatic data compression.  I was able to back up 150MB of data
in 85 minutes on >two< 40MB tape cartridges!

I'm uncertain as to whether Fastback II does archives as well as normal
backups, but the speed of the program is its a main selling point.

-rob.

--
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| R. Griffiths         | Forcing an engine to produce 5,465 horsepower is   |

nick@cs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (05/06/91)

Which of the backup programs (Fastback II, Retrospect, ...) will be the first
to understand the System 7.0 file structures? And which will be the first I
can get here in Europe? And am I right in thinking that going to System 7.0
with an old backup program is asking for much wailing and gnashing of teeth?

	Nick.

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
                nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

fry@zariski.harvard.edu (David Fry) (05/07/91)

In article <10113@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk writes:
>Which of the backup programs (Fastback II, Retrospect, ...) will be the first
>to understand the System 7.0 file structures? And which will be the first I
>can get here in Europe? And am I right in thinking that going to System 7.0
>with an old backup program is asking for much wailing and gnashing of teeth?
>
>	Nick.

Just today I received in the mail (totally unexpected) version
1.3 of Retrospect, which claims to be completely System 7.0
compatible, including support for sorting by aliases, stationary
pads, custon icons, balloon help, virtual memory, and Personal
FileShare.  My favorite feature: if you drag files onto the
Retrospect icon in the Finder, Retrospect will open and
automatically prepare to back them up. If Retrospect is open
already, the files will be ADDED to those about to be backed
up.  Very cool.

I think Dantz should be praised for this enlightened service.

David Fry                               fry@math.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics               fry@huma1.bitnet
Harvard University                      ...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (05/30/91)

In article <6359@crystal9.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes...
twl@cs.brown.edu (Ted "Theodore" W. Leung) writes:
>     Can someone give me a good recommendation for a backup program?

 I heartily recommend Redux from Microseeds. It has very powerful graphical
 file selection abilities, along with a scripting language called BackTalk, to
 let you refine your choices even further. It maintains an image backup, i.e.
 files deleted from your original disk are deleted from the backup, and the
 space is reused.

 Microseeds tech. support is absolutely superb. The few problems I've had with
 the program have always been handled promptly and satisfactorily. Microseeds
 is coming out with a version of Redux that will take advantage of 7.0, due
 this summer. The current release is 7.0 compatible, though. Microseeds is at
 813-882-8635.

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

mlwiese@eagle.mit.edu (Michael Wiese) (05/31/91)

In article <6359@crystal9.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:

> >     Can someone give me a good recommendation for a backup program?
> >I'm interested in being able to archive as well as backup.   At the
> >moment the backup medium will be HD floppies, but may change to a
> >Syquest removable in the future.
>
> For Individuals - Retrospect
> For Single Zone Networks - Retrospect
> For Multiple Zone Networks - Netstream by PCPC (requires
>     PCPC's JetStream 8mm tape drive.
>
> Does anyone know when or if Retrospect will work across
> zones?

Retrospect Remote DOES support multiple zones. We have version 1.3, which is
System 7.0 studly.

Mike Wiese
MIT Microcomputing Support

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (06/01/91)

mlwiese@eagle.mit.edu (Michael Wiese) writes:
>In article <6359@crystal9.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
[someother guy writes]
>> >     Can someone give me a good recommendation for a backup program?
>> >I'm interested in being able to archive as well as backup.   At the
>> >moment the backup medium will be HD floppies, but may change to a
>> >Syquest removable in the future.
>>
>> For Individuals - Retrospect
>> For Single Zone Networks - Retrospect
>> For Multiple Zone Networks - Netstream by PCPC (requires
>>     PCPC's JetStream 8mm tape drive.

I don't know about the other ones, but QTBackup by Tecmar works real nice,
and scripts, and lets you choose to backup remotely (across zones), and
the people there are very friendly.

I have a QT-80 which handles 80 Meg, 125 Meg, and reads Apple standard
40 Meg (and QT-40).  They have drives all the way upto Exabyte, and have
software for suntools (not X tho :-(

6225 Cochran Road
Solon, Ohio 44139
(216) 349-3130
Download:  349-0853
1-800-624-8560

--
Brian Aslakson
    brian@cs.umn.edu (mail)

richm@zeus.unomaha.edu (06/07/91)

In article <6359@crystal9.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> twl@cs.brown.edu (Ted "Theodore" W. Leung) writes:
>
>>     Can someone give me a good recommendation for a backup program?
>>I'm interested in being able to archive as well as backup.   At the
>>moment the backup medium will be HD floppies, but may change to a
>>Syquest removable in the future.
>
> For Individuals - Retrospect
> For Single Zone Networks - Retrospect
> For Multiple Zone Networks - Netstream by PCPC (requires
>     PCPC's JetStream 8mm tape drive.
>
> Does anyone know when or if Retrospect will work across
> zones?
> --
> =       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
> = e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =
> = Applelink: n1111@applelink.apple.com                                     =
> =I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =

YES, Retrospect works across zones with no problem.