[comp.sys.mac.apps] Freedom of Press....what exactly can it do for a Deskwriter owner?

talarico@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John F. Talarico) (06/06/91)

I was wondering what Freedom of press can do that ATM can't.  Will it allow me
to  print PostScript graphics on my Deskwriter?

But it was allright, everything was allright,  |  John Talarico
the struggle was finished.  He had won the     |  Syracuse University
victory over himself.  He loved Big Brother.   |  (TALARICO@SUNRISE.ACS.SYR.EDU)

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (06/07/91)

talarico@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John F. Talarico)writes:

JF> I was wondering what Freedom of press can do that ATM can't.  Will it allow
JF> me to print PostScript graphics on my Deskwriter?

    Yes. (That's quite a difference from ATM.)

 * Origin: "Each to his point of bliss" -- Browning (1:109/421.4218)

merlin@sulaco.Lonestar.ORG (David Hayes) (06/10/91)

FoP is a Postscript-compatible language processor. It reads postscript,
and generates a bitmap image, which it sends to your printer. It can
and does deal with postscript graphics. It also shares the same laser
font files used by ATM.

FoP is slow. On my IIsi, it takes about twice as long to generate a page
with FoP as it would using ATM. Of course, if you have a postscript graphic,
FoP is much faster than paper and pencil. :-) I use ATM for most jobs,
which are text-only. FoP exists for those times when I just have to
have postscript.

FoP-Light is the interpreter and a few basic fonts. Full FoP is all the
fonts of the LaserWriter-Plus, and support for some very esoteric
printers. If you just want to print to a DeskWriter, FoP-Light will do
a fine job.

For reasons having to do with FoP's spooler (nice touch), I recommend
that you use the DeskWriter in an Appletalk configuration.

	David Hayes