[comp.sys.mac.apps] Chooser name software

moose@aoa.UUCP (Bruce Trvalik) (06/01/91)

I am looking for a utility that will prompt a user for a chooser name
when the machine is booted.  We use the sysquest drives and often the
chooser name is not the actual person using that mac. If no such utiliy
exists I would like to hear any ideas about how to write a program to
perform this task.
thanks...

--
*	Bruce Trvalik  AOA-----------------*
*       (617)864-0201

ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) (06/01/91)

From article <1586@aoa.UUCP>, by moose@aoa.UUCP (Bruce Trvalik):
> I am looking for a utility that will prompt a user for a chooser name
> when the machine is booted.  We use the sysquest drives and often the
> chooser name is not the actual person using that mac...

Under System 7, try putting an alias for the "Sharing Setup" control panel
into the "Startup items" system subfolder.  Prompts for name and password,
and reminds the person about what kind of sharing access is permitted to
their machine.

A better question is how to CLEAR this information when the person leaves,
so the next person doesn't have access to shared resources...
--
=Ned Horvath=
ehorvath@attmail.com

weiss@crowe.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (06/02/91)

In article <1991Jun1.044926.15945@cbnewsk.att.com> ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) writes:

[excellent idea for use of Sharing Setup deleted]

>A better question is how to CLEAR this information when the person leaves,
>so the next person doesn't have access to shared resources...

Sounds like a job for an extension (upon Shutdown, erase those names from the
Sharing Setup).  Any takers?
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (06/03/91)

moose@aoa.UUCP (Bruce Trvalik) writes:
>I am looking for a utility that will prompt a user for a chooser name
>when the machine is booted.  We use the sysquest drives and often the
>chooser name is not the actual person using that mac. If no such utiliy
>exists I would like to hear any ideas about how to write a program to
>perform this task.
>thanks...

ChooserUser from sumex & mirrors.  There is also LaserWriterLockout which
will lockout LaserWriters, FileServers, and ImageWriters over AppleTalk.
There are more features for ChooserUser (like locking a name IN).
Look in /cdev.

They are both by a Mr. Volaski.  I like both.  They are currently at
version 1.1.

--
Brian Aslakson
    brian@cs.umn.edu (mail)

richm@zeus.unomaha.edu (06/07/91)

In article <1586@aoa.UUCP>, moose@aoa.UUCP (Bruce Trvalik) writes:
> I am looking for a utility that will prompt a user for a chooser name
> when the machine is booted.  We use the sysquest drives and often the
> chooser name is not the actual person using that mac. If no such utiliy
> exists I would like to hear any ideas about how to write a program to
> perform this task.
> thanks...
>
> --
> *	Bruce Trvalik  AOA-----------------*
> *       (617)864-0201
> *	moose@aoa.utc.com
> *       aoa!moose@bbn.com

This would also be great when trouble-shooting a network problem.  How
many times do you go to something like Interpoll, identify the Macs in
use but have to start at the last username, rather than the current?!

Jim_Holt@aprdlgtr.sps.mot.com (Jim Holt) (06/10/91)

In article <15992.284eae75@zeus.unomaha.edu>, richm@zeus.unomaha.edu writes:

> In article <1586@aoa.UUCP>, moose@aoa.UUCP (Bruce Trvalik) writes:
> > I am looking for a utility that will prompt a user for a chooser name
> > when the machine is booted.

There is an *EXCELLENT* solution to this available.  It is an INIT/CDEV
written by Maurice Volaski called ChooserUser.  In addition to the feature
you requested, it has several more very useful functions.  Maurice is at
volaski@contra.med.buffalo.edu

-jh