[comp.sys.mac.apps] SoftPC

U40245@uicvm.uic.edu (Shawn T. Segur) (11/14/90)

Is anybody familiar with Soft PC (and access PC).
How good would these work on a Mac si?
If one work in both a mac environment as well as a PC environment,
wouldn't it seem like a viable alternative to purchase a Mac
with Soft PC?
Does Soft PC work with many IBM programs?
How fast is it?
What is the difference between access PC and soft PC?
Is there any easy way to convert an Mac WordPerfect file to IBM
WordPerfect format?
Please email or post Re:

S.T.S.
University of Illinois, Chicago

eric@wdl47.wdl.fac.com (Eric Kuhnen) (11/15/90)

U40245@uicvm.uic.edu (Shawn T. Segur) writes:

>Is anybody familiar with Soft PC (and access PC).

We tested Soft PC on Mac IIcx's.  They do a complete BIOS emulation and run
quite a bit of the PC programs, including window's applications.  However,
with regard to the window's stuff, it was painfully slow and not worth the
convenience offered.  Windows under Soft PC made the cursor "stutter" in its
motion and everything ran very slowly.

>How good would these work on a Mac si?

My guess is "Not much better for Window's applications."

>If one work in both a mac environment as well as a PC environment,
>wouldn't it seem like a viable alternative to purchase a Mac
>with Soft PC?

Yeah, that is the selling point of Soft PC.  But I would go to a computer
store that has Soft PC running on your work-type Mac and play around for a
few minutes on it, sans salesperson.

>Is there any easy way to convert an Mac WordPerfect file to IBM
>WordPerfect format?

Mac WordPerfect has a utility for converting its files to the IBM format.
Use it.  Then port the file to a DOS disk using Apple File Exchange or
your SuperDrive, if you have one.  Reinsert the DOS disk into your IBM running
WordPerfect and convert the file using "convert.exe".

"Q"

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (11/15/90)

Back at MacWorld, there was supposed to be a free upgrade to PC/AT EGA to
version 1.4 that would be shipping free to all registered users.  This was
also mentioned in a major magazine (I believe it was BYTE).  Has anyone
gotten this upgrade?  They were actually showing it at MacWorld, so it
seemed like shipping was imminent.

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."

demarsee@gamera.acs.syr.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) (11/17/90)

   Back at MacWorld, there was supposed to be a free upgrade to PC/AT EGA to
   version 1.4 that would be shipping free to all registered users.  This was
   also mentioned in a major magazine (I believe it was BYTE).  Has anyone
   gotten this upgrade?  They were actually showing it at MacWorld, so it
   seemed like shipping was imminent.

Yes, I've gotten it.  Works too.  Even under A/UX.

esht_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Eran) (11/21/90)

Am I using an old version of SoftPC or what?  Whenever I try to use
it to play some IBM games it is really slow.  In fact to slow to be
used at all.  Is this because of intensive graphic stuff or is the
whole package slow.

Eran Shtiegman
email: esht_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu
--
  |\/\/\/|       ____________________________________________
  |      |      /                                            |

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (11/24/90)

I am trying to do a little hack to softPC that will
allow me to print the danish characters on a laserwriter using
the FX80 driver with PC codes enabled.  With EGA/AT version 1.4
there is no problem, as they support a foreign codepage for the
screen, and also uses trhe XLT1 resource, "PC to Mac" to do the
translation.

My problems is when using the normal SoftPC version 1.3 then I
can not prevent if from writing the cents and Yen characters, and
replace them with the danish letters with the same code which is
the letter o with a slash and the big O with a slash. It seems as
if SoftPC does not use its nice XLT1 table. Any solutions ?

Hope you can help

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer

greg@enterprise.Sun.COM (Greg George - Sun Area Project Consultant - Midwest ) (11/27/90)

I had a similar problem with softpc when I was using a
stock mac II. I now have a mac IIci with 128k cache
and radius GX video board. With this and the new verson
of the program (1.4) made the difference night and day.
The cache is most helpful during computation intensive
operations or compilations that go to ram disk. The
radius GX is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Everyone should get one, for ~$700 I have a machine
that can draw as fast or faster than a iifx. Scrolling
in Pagemaker that used to take 20 seconds now is less
than 5. Seconds may not seem like much, but as you work
with larger applications, you will see larger improvements
in speed.

greg

mikey.nrc.com (03/20/91)

With all the talk of Soft-PC here, I was wondering if there is a demo
disk of this software out.  Any information (technical or otherwise) regarding
SoftPC is most appreciated....Thanks

quark@asylum.SF.CA.US (Dave Hull) (03/20/91)

mikey.nrc.com writes:

>With all the talk of Soft-PC here, I was wondering if there is a demo
>disk of this software out.  Any information (technical or otherwise) regarding
>SoftPC is most appreciated....Thanks

No demo disks out at present, but you should be able to see it working
at your local dealer.  We try to get demos out to as many of them as we
can.

If you have any questions, you can e-mail me at quark@asylum.sf.ca.us
for the next month.  My phone number at Insignia is 415-694-7604.

=-Dave
|  I'm sure that more people would share my opinions if I were to  |
|  make them less obfuscatory.                      Yeh, right.    |
               Dave Hull is:   quark@asylum.sf.ca.us

bskendig@light.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.175950.21215@nrc.com> mikey.nrc.com writes:
>With all the talk of Soft-PC here, I was wondering if there is a demo
>disk of this software out.  Any information (technical or otherwise) regarding
>SoftPC is most appreciated....Thanks

A demo disk would indeed be nice to see, but I have a couple of
questions: can you run Microsoft Windows on the Classic / LC version
of SoftPC?  Is it even bearably fast?  How much memory and disk space
does SoftPC it require?  Will it directly recognize MS-DOS disks put
into a Mac high-density drive?

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't HAVE the work to *do* -- I don't DO the work I *have*."

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) (03/20/91)

bskendig@light.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:

>In article <1991Mar19.175950.21215@nrc.com> mikey.nrc.com writes:
>>With all the talk of Soft-PC here, I was wondering if there is a demo
>>disk of this software out.  Any information (technical or otherwise) regarding
>>SoftPC is most appreciated....Thanks

>A demo disk would indeed be nice to see, but I have a couple of
>questions: can you run Microsoft Windows on the Classic / LC version
>of SoftPC?  Is it even bearably fast?  How much memory and disk space
>does SoftPC it require?  Will it directly recognize MS-DOS disks put
>into a Mac high-density drive?

>     << Brian >>

>| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
>| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
>| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
>"It's not that I don't HAVE the work to *do* -- I don't DO the work I *have*."

1) Since it supports extended/expanded/exploded/expounded/whatever memory,
   in theory it ought to run Windows. (but WHY?!)
2) On my IIci, SoftPC AT is about as fast as a 12 Mhz AT.
3) It does recognize IBM-format disks.
4) It uses large quantities of hard-disk spce, since it creates a virtual disk
5) It needs 2 Megs of RAM, if I remember correctly.  (haven't used it in awhile)6) It is hilarious to run, since they've even digitized the sounds of an AT
   starting up. (buzzz...whirrr...clicka clicka...boop)

ombra
aka

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |    you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (03/21/91)

> 6) It is hilarious to run, since they've even digitized the sounds of an AT
>    starting up. (buzzz...whirrr...clicka clicka...boop)

Oh, wow! Really? This I gotta see... I've been thinking about SoftPC
a while and investigating it, but I've not heard this one yet.

paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca (Nuno M. Paixao) (04/12/91)

What is the minimum system requirements for SoftPC? More specifically, can I
run it on a 4MB Classic? And if so, how much memory will be available for
DOS application once it is loaded? ie. Can I run something large like DBase IV,
without any problems. I realize it will probably be slow as God knows what,
but I am mainly concerned at being able to run it.

Also, what kind of price is it selling for?

I will be doing some Dbase programming this summer for work, and
I want to be able to bring it home if needed without having to purchase
a PC. I want to do it from my Mac.

					Thanks ....

					Nuno

--
*----------------------*---------------------------*------------------------*
|    Nuno M. Paixao    |    paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca    |    dexter@ac.dal.ca    |

cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr12.152500.9050@cs.dal.ca> paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca (Nuno M. Paixao) writes:
>What is the minimum system requirements for SoftPC? More specifically, can I
>run it on a 4MB Classic? And if so, how much memory will be available for
>DOS application once it is loaded? ie. Can I run something large like DBase IV,
>without any problems. I realize it will probably be slow as God knows what,
>but I am mainly concerned at being able to run it.
>
>Also, what kind of price is it selling for?
>
>I will be doing some Dbase programming this summer for work, and
>I want to be able to bring it home if needed without having to purchase
>a PC. I want to do it from my Mac.
>

>					Thanks ....
>
>					Nuno
>
>--
>*----------------------*---------------------------*------------------------*
>|    Nuno M. Paixao    |    paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca    |    dexter@ac.dal.ca    |
>*----------------------*---------------------------*------------------------*
>|       McIntosh Jr ... The Power to Crush the other Kids!!! (SNL)          |

Ashton-Tate has just released dBASE IV RunTime PLUS for the Mac. It's
dBASE IV 1.1, fully compatible with the PC runtime version (except
for SQL), plus a "Toolkit", which gives you a dot prompt (yeah, I know)
and all of the dot prompt commands except ASSIST and CREATE/MODIFY
REPORT and QUERY. But MODI COMM works, and you can compile source to
.DBOs which are fully compatible with dBASE IV 1.1 for MS-DOS... and
dBASE IV 1.1 for Unix, Sun, and VAX/VMS.

Call Customer Service at 213/329-9989 for more details (it's under $200).

--Cy Shuster--
DISCLAIMER: I'm a co-author.
cy@dbase.a-t.com

ewm@mdavcr.UUCP (Eric W. Mitchell) (05/15/91)

Howdy,

I'm considering upgrading to a MacII-- (probably a si or ci), but I have a bunch
of PC games that I would like to be able to run.  I am considering SoftPC,
but I was wondering:

	a) How fast does it run (ie: 8MHz equivalent?)
	b) What graphics modes does it support.
	c) How fragile is it?  Will my games crash it.

The games all use the "enter word # on page # line #" style of
protection.  None of the disks are copy-protected.

Some of the games are:

	- Eye of the Beholder
	- Pool of Radiance
	- M1A1 Abrams
	- Wolfpack
	- Overlord

Will the execution speed of these games be unbearably slow?  Will they
run at ALL?

Please email any messages directly to me.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

ps.  The only problem with the Mac (besides price), is that it doesn't
	 have many good colour games.
Eric Mitchell                      |   "We're Screwed!!!"
Ph. 604-278-3411 Fax. 604-278-2936 |
email  !uunet!van-bc!mdavcr!ewm    |	- Spaced Invaders.
    or ewm%mda.ca@wimsey.bc.ca     |
    or ewm@mda.ca		   |

harv@harvs.UUCP (Patrick L. Harvey) (06/08/91)

Does anyone know how to change the window and font size on SoftPC, or how
to invert the screen if you have a color monitor?  I know PCs are obnoxious
but I'd like to think the mac version was a little nicer ...

Patrick L. Harvey           | Home: romed!harvs!harv@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
VLSI Technology, Inc.       | Work: vlsisj!phx!harv@decwrl.dec.com
(602) 752-6151              |

jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) (06/10/91)

harv@harvs.UUCP (Patrick L. Harvey) writes:

>Does anyone know how to change the window and font size on SoftPC, or how
Clikking the zoom-rect (upper right) will switcch between 9 and 12 point.
>to invert the screen if you have a color monitor?  I know PCs are obnoxious
>but I'd like to think the mac version was a little nicer ...
I think you'll have to get hold of a manual with the PC-ANSI codes and use
the 'SET PROMPT' command to emit the proper codes for changing colours.

--
      /|  / Jan B. Andersen                        /^^^\     .----------------.
     / | /  RUC, Hus 19,1     jba@dat.ruc.dk      { o_o }    | SIMULA does it |

insignia@netcom.COM (Dave Hull) (06/10/91)

harv@harvs.UUCP (Patrick L. Harvey) writes:

>Does anyone know how to change the window and font size on SoftPC, or how
>to invert the screen if you have a color monitor?  I know PCs are obnoxious
>but I'd like to think the mac version was a little nicer ...

SoftPC only has the two window/font sizes that you get by clicking on
the grow/shrink box in the upper right corner.  You'll need a DOS-level
solution to invert you screen if you work in color.  Right now we run
DOS on the Mac, but we don't make it any friendlier...

--Dave Hull

--
"Did you ever take driver's ed?"
"A car is an extension of one's psyche.  I've got a fucked up psyche.