[comp.sys.mac.apps] Shrinking menu's so superclock will show....help!

rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) (06/05/91)

Is there a way to force SuperClock to show (somewhere) when an app. uses
the entire munu bar on a 9" screen.  Can some kind soul send me instructions
on possibly shortening the menu names.  I've used resedit, but I'm
no expert (quite novice actually).
Thanks in advace.

  Any major Dude will tell ya! -- Donald Fagan
Robert Cook (rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (06/07/91)

[rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:]
[] Is there a way to force SuperClock to show (somewhere) when an app. uses
[] the entire munu bar on a 9" screen.  Can some kind soul send me
[] instructions on possibly shortening the menu names.  I've used resedit, but
[] I'm no expert (quite novice actually).

umm, would you settle for an alternative?  there's a "requires MultiFinder"
application that does the basic SuperClock thing but the clock windows
show up on the desk top.  it can be found at "sumex" in:

info-mac/util/multi-toys.hqx

its freeware, works on all machines and systems 6.0.2 or better.
however, there is one bug with the program: under a multiple monitors
setup if the main screen isn't the current screen then the clock windows
won't show up (no crashes or anything).  this will be fixed in an
upcoming update ...

however, it does require MultiFinder ...

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

author: MultiClock, MultiDog

nm@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Nicolas Mercouroff) (06/07/91)

rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:

>Is there a way to force SuperClock to show (somewhere) when an app. uses
>the entire munu bar on a 9" screen.  Can some kind soul send me instructions
>on possibly shortening the menu names.  I've used resedit, but I'm
>no expert (quite novice actually).
>Thanks in advace.

>--
>  Any major Dude will tell ya! -- Donald Fagan
>Robert Cook (rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

It depends on which system you use.

I've seen (but never used) a shareware init called "MBarCompress" which is
supposed to compress the menu bar to leave space for utilities like
SuperClock. I don't know if it works with system 7.0 (I'm pretty sure that
it doesn't). You can find it on mac.archive.umich.edu for example.

Another possibility is some less smart mbar-clock which does not hide when
the menu bar is too wide. I don't remember the name of these dirty things; I
think of an init (ClockInit ?) and a FKEY (ClockFKey ?). The FKEY allows to
switch on and off the time in the menu bar. Again, I'm almost sure that it
doesn't work with system 7.0 (moreover, the system 7.0 is FKEYs-unfriendly !).

--
-Nicolas Mercouroff		nm@cs.brandeis.edu
 Dept. of Computer Sciences, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02154

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/08/91)

In article <13316@pt.cs.cmu.edu> hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:
>[rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:]
>[] Is there a way to force SuperClock to show (somewhere) when an app. uses
>[] the entire munu bar on a 9" screen.  Can some kind soul send me
>[] instructions on possibly shortening the menu names.  I've used resedit, but
>[] I'm no expert (quite novice actually).
>
>umm, would you settle for an alternative?  there's a "requires MultiFinder"
>application that does the basic SuperClock thing but the clock windows
>show up on the desk top.  it can be found at "sumex" in:

And if you want an INIT, and don't have a screensaver already, Moire
3.22 is an excellent choice.  The clock will simply sit on top of any
menus, allowing them to still be used.  Plus it's a great screensaver;
simple and to the point.

jonh@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Jon Howell) (06/08/91)

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
}hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:
-}[rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:]
-}[] Is there a way to force SuperClock to show (somewhere) when an app. uses
-}[] the entire munu bar on a 9" screen.  Can some kind soul send me
-}[] instructions on possibly shortening the menu names.  I've used resedit, but
-}[] I'm no expert (quite novice actually).
-}
}
}And if you want an INIT, and don't have a screensaver already, Moire
}3.22 is an excellent choice.  The clock will simply sit on top of any
}menus, allowing them to still be used.  Plus it's a great screensaver;
}simple and to the point.

Last and least, you could use one of the many freebie utilities to change the
font on your menubar to something miniscule and unreadable -- BUT, your clock
would be there. :^>  (And you already KNOW what the menus say! :v)

		--Jon
--
 _____   ___    _   _  Jon Howell: jonh@pogo.wv.tek.com | My life's quest is to
|_   _| / _ \  | \ | | 6417 Sorrel	    | find a computer to call for a

hseung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Hyunsuk Seung) (06/08/91)

rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:
> Is there a way to force SuperClock to show (somewhere) when an app. uses
> the entire munu bar on a 9" screen.  Can some kind soul send me
> instructions on possibly shortening the menu names.  I've used resedit, but
> I'm no expert (quite novice actually).

You could change the default system font from Chicago to other
smaller fonts (I'm using Helvetica 10) by changing the resource
ID referenced by the Chicago font. Use ResEdit and go into FOND
field of your system file and modify the Chicago's resource ID
to your choice of font. You can get the listing of resource ID
numbers in the FONT field. You might want to lengthen the height
of your new system font by increasing its upper boundary (for
bit-mapped fonts).
  Please be aware that this method might not work well with
applications that use their own menu fonts. Maybe someone might
have a better solution...

--
H. Seung	hseung@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	4001 Pine St. 2-F
		University of Pennsylvania	Philadelphia, PA 19104

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun7.175858.6482@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
>  And if you want an INIT, and don't have a screensaver already, Moire
>  3.22 is an excellent choice.  The clock will simply sit on top of any
>  menus, allowing them to still be used.  Plus it's a great screensaver;
>  simple and to the point.

	That reminds me.  Does anyone know how to change the font used by
	Moire clock?  The clock currently uses a very small lightweight
	font.

	Thanks in advance,

	=Mike
--
==  Michael K. Yee <yee@osf.org>      -+-      OSF/Motif Team
==  Open Software Foundation - 11 Cambridge Center - Cambridge, MA  02142